Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film Threat's Top 50 Lost Films of All Time on today's IMDB main page

TheBlackbird

Ed,

There are a few good choices. Surprisingly No THE MIRACLE MAN, or LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT?

Also what about CECILIA OF THE PINK ROSES, OVER THE HILL TO THE POORHOUSE (1920), FLAMING YOUTH (1923), WIFE OF THE CENTAUR (1924), Ernst Lubitsch THE PATRIOT (1928), and of course F. W. Murna's FOUR DEVIL'S??? None of those seemed to have made the list???

Yes you're right Jeff.... I was just surprised by some of the titles.... Oddly..... I noticed also no FLAMING YOUTH or CECELIA OF THE PINK ROSES.... 2 of my most hoped-for titles

I was wondering about "No No Nanette" myself because the 1926 stageplay was so successful and the 1940 movie was so lousy ...

"Convention City" is a film regarded by many as the lost holy grail of precoders. I understand Jack Warner intentionally destroyed those prints himself ...

There was also a silent title (speaking of werewolves) called "The Wolf Man" 1924 starring John Gilbert and Norma Shearer that would surely be interesting just to see them do whatever in it, but I'm guessing that's lost too ...

Benji,

Yes, unfortunately you are correct, THE WOLFMAN (1924) is considered to be lost. In-fact, most of John Gilbert's Fox features are gone. Only CAMEO KIRBY (1923), Directed by John Ford survives I believe, and it is not complete?

I'm still upset over the lack of a YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION! Some months ago, we were listing a bunch of titles to potentially be scored! So what happens now???

Benji,

Yes, SLIDE. KELLY, SLIDE is still around! Though it has yet to debut on TCM, and probably won't anytime soon? It is not a lost film! I even ran across some one who had a copy last year. Unfortunately the deal did not work out. We have talked about this movie numerous times on this forum.

I was sincerely hoping that they might get to this movie for the YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION. Also King Vidor's WINE OF YOUTH (1924), HIS HOUR (1924), SALLY, IRENE, AND MARY (1925), AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES (1925), MAN, WOMAN, AND SIN (1927), THE FIRE BRIGADE (1927), and THE COSSACKS (1928). Not to mention, Colleen Moore's HER WILD OAT (1927), and WHY BE GOOD? (1929)! Regrettably, with the YFCC apparently canceled, everything is all up in the air now!

Here's a few I wish were around ...

Dixie Dugan was an enormously popular character created in the J.P. McEvoy novels and was later in the comix for decades. Having seen "Showgirl In Hollywood" I wanted to see the silent "Show Girl" 1928 only to discover it was lost. It was praised as Alice White's swankiest "IT-Girl" exhibition ...

"Topsy And Eva" 1927 sort of a musical quasi-vaudeville adaptation of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" with the Duncan Sisters (one in black-face) is lost. I'd like to see how they did it ...Too bad ...

"The Queen Of Sheba" 1921 starring Betty Blythe was praised as the biggest most exuberant epic since "Intolerance" but is sadly lost ...

After the death of Valentino, actress Vilma B?nky moved to United Artists and was paired in a series of films with romantic lead Ronald Colman. After witnessing their wonderful chemistry together in "The Winning Of Barbara Worth" I wondered about their subsequent pairings. "The Night Of Love" 1927, "The Magic Flame" 1927 and "Two Lovers" only to find they are lost films ...

I would love *Kiss Me Again* (1925) to turn up. It's an Ernst Lubitsch comedy with Clara Bow. *Red Hair* (1928) also had a short 2-strip technicolor sequence with Clara and I would love to see that as it's the only thing she ever did in color. I've never even seen a real color pic of her. I have found some beautiful colorized pics that people have done though.

I would also absolutely be in heaven if any of Gary Cooper's lost silents showed up. They are *Arizona Bound* (1927), *Half a Bride* (1928), *Beau Sabreur* (1928), *Legion of the Condemned* (1928), *The First Kiss* (1928), *Shopworn Angel* (1928), *Wolf Song* (1929), *Betrayal* (1929). *Betrayal* was his last silent and I believe also the last one released by Paramount. I have the set of American Film Treasures dvd's that has a 55 second trailer for *Beau Sabreur* and it looked like a good movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings