Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is TCM becoming less "Classic"?

rover27

Is it my imagination or is Turner Classic Movies becoming less "Classic"? It seems over the past few months they are showing a lot more movies from the 60's and 70's. I don't consider those to be "classic" movie years. For me the era of classic movies stretched from maybe themid to late 30's to the early 50's or so. I'm not saying that they should never show movies outside that era, but lately they seem to be showing a LOT of non-classics.

I might be way off base, but I would like to hear others feedback on this. I'm watching a mid 60's Elvis Presley movie right now. A real classic????

As for the Elvis movies today, it is the King's birthday and he would have been 73. TCM is just saying Happy Birthday, Elvis like it does with other stars on their natal day.

On the other subject, this thread was started yesterday:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=120851&tstart=0

After the last few months of movie series, pre-codes, William Wellman movies, John Ford at Fox films, Irene Dunne as SOTM and now Jimmy Cagney as SOTM, I am left wondering why people think TCM is moving away from showing studio era films.

I all but filled up my TIVO again last month between all the pre-code films and the Wellman movies.

For the record, TCM has always shown films from all decades. When it first began broadcasting in 1994, its mission statement was films from the 1920s to the 1980s. After it reached its tenth anniversary, it updated its mission statement to include film from the 1990s, so TCM showing modern films is not a new phenom but has been a staple of the programming since the beginning.

TCM has always been about showing films from all the genres and all decades, not just the classic ones. The bulk of TCM programming is made up not of classic films but of films that appeal to people of all ages and backgrounds.

In the past, we have had posters who have spent hours using the Wayback Machine to pour over previous years schedules and post the findings here. The outcome is always the same, the films from the 1930s - 1950s make up the bulk of the programming with the films from the 1980s and 1990s comprising the lowest number of films shown (February excluded because of the 31 Days of Oscar celebration).

And still the debate wages on.

I agree with the other posters, this debate won't be pretty.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

Operation this will never end is probably more like it.

I have the TIVO set for Sellers tonite. Reason I mention that is I'm sure some here don't consider "Pink Panther" classic. In fact, clearly "color" dismisses "classic" to some.

I think some, in fact many, consider "classic" the Hollywood factory machine of the 20's,30's,40's, and for some 50's, and nothing else.

It really is,"to each his/her own".

Personally, to me I interchange the word "classic" with "great".

But thats me.

Edit; Yeah, Elvis ain't "classic" to me either.

But when naming the station, what was the better option? TOM?....my real name,btw......

Turner Old Movies?

I'm just glad there is a station that has taken up the mantle of showing this stuff, creating a market for film preservation, etc.

Just think, everyone, of all the great film experiences we wouldn't have without TCM. What "classic" MEANS is really quite irrelevant in the scheme of things.

I also agree. We are currently in the middle of a 24 hour stretch where there is nothing I want to watch, at all, most pointedly to include tonight's Pink schedule. Just to beat the horse, I really wish TCM could resist the temptation of overkill thematic programming.

As for modern movies in general, later we get Matthew Broderick, and last night it was Streisand. Kill me now.

Granted a day of Elvis is probably a bit too much... However,, They do represent a important era of music and to a lesser degree movies and possibly even America,

As for Hello Dolly... Its one if not the last musical made, and And if Barbra Streisand don't have the chops to pull this off, no one has,,, Granted I'm not that into musicals, but I do love Streisand and her singing, I have seen her to 1960's tv specials "call me Barbra" and "color me Barbra", I think theres two more specials that were done for tv, But I haven't seen them yet.. I see no problem with TCM play Hello Dolly..

Yeah, but you could say that Rap represents "an important era in music" in America. It represents the END of music in America.

How many people on this board have said, ?Oh, why don?t they show more Elvis movies?? Where has anyone said, ?Oh, I haven?t seen an Elvis movie in such a long time, I sure wish they would show some Elvis movies??

Hey, Its only one day in a year in tribute, to what was, like him or not, was one of the most influencel recording artist in the 20 century, I would rather watch the whole day of his movies then one hour of music video and new music.. Granted some of his movies aren't Oscar material He shouldn't be dismissed out of hand..

Oh my god, a whole 24 hours without watching TCM ? Oh the humanity :)

They play movies that some like and some dont, most I have on DVD anyway so it doesn't matter to me all that much..

I watch the station more than most other cable stations, but I watch the News and Sportscenter the most :)

I do like the obscure movies they play like the Boston Blackies, Stranger on the 3rd Floor,etc...but of course they play movies I have no interest in like a Western, so I just change the channel

I was complaining about the Elvis movies...they are cheesy. I loved the early Elvis...the one on the stamps. I was young, but the 1955-1958 pre-Army Elvis was a legend. I wouldn't mind seeing some of his movies of that era...Love Me Tender? And I didn't realize that it was his birthday. Still,,,,???

My complaint is about what TCM is all about...classic movies. I don't think anything I've seen today fits into that category, IMHO.

I have come to accept certain things in life...Not everyone plays nice. ....The world does not revolve around me....everyone has different taste (and I am so glad)....Poetic Justice is Karma in action!.....and Unlimited Elvis Movies are played EVERY January8th! Tomorrow is another day.Hey, I dont' like movies post technicolor but I have a steady collection of B&W recorded just for days like this!

Rover, I agree. It?s not just ?one day a year? of ?tributes? to modern non-classic films. More and more modern movies are turning up in various TCM ?tributes?, such as the Pink Panther series, which are mostly so bad they aren?t worth watching. What was ?The Terminator? tributing last week? Are we going to start seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger tribute days? These films and the Elvis series aren?t ?classic? films at all. A modern ?series? of films and sequels aren?t automatically ?classics?. I?ve never seen anyone here request Elvis films or Pink Panther films or Arnold Schwarzenegger films. How is ?Death Race 2000? a ?classic?? Why is ?Rollerball? being shown twice this month?

While a programming choice might raise my eyebrows every once and again, I'm not going to start the boycott just yet. While The Terminator is not one of my all time favorites, it IS an iconic film and considered a classic, at least amongst the movie nerds I hang out with. I loathe Elvis, but I can also see how his movies made the cut-for all I know someone else might feel the same way about a series of movies I love-the Busby Berkley, Errol Flynn or Marx Brothers marathons they've done might have not sat well with people even though they are considered more 'classic'.

I get your concern though-AMC used to be a decent channel right up until they put a major chop on every movie they showed and changed their programming drastically-I mean, when did Harry and the Hendersons become and american movie classic? Why is it necessary to show sequels 3-5 of Friday the 13th all year round?

I'll stand true until I start seeing commercials, or if they suddenly start showing Legally Blonde on TCM.

We,, they're not strictly classic but I'll watch something with Elvis in it just because Elvis is in it. I also like the cheesy "Beach" movies, at least the early ones (Beach Blanket Bingo, that kind of thing). It's pretty hypocritical of me to like these when I too get nervous (probably for no reason) at the potential trend of TCM programming. Oh well, I can't help liking them :)

Hey, Its only one day in a year in tribute,

Actually, not.

They just gave him an entire 24 hours back during Summer Under the Stars in August...for the anniversary of his death.

They gave far LESS time to Jane Wyman and Deborah Kerr when they died this past year...and I can't recall a Laraine Day tribute at ALL.

In addition, I really don't recall any of my favorite stars getting remembered on their birthday AND the anniversary of their death. Most of them are lucky to be remembered at all on these days, except once every few years.

It's not that big of a deal to me...but to say that it's only a one-time thing is not accurate. :)

To me the term "Classic" refers more to the era than to the quality of the film. I have no objection to Elvis, beach, or much of anything in principle, so long as it comes from what would be loosely defined as that era. And the Elvis movies do feature some truly special musical performances, as well as some of the hottest starlets of the day. It becomes a problem only when programmed in huge blocks. Nothing devalues X like too much X; moderation in all things; variety is the spice; etc.

What makes a film a classic is certainly not the year it was released - half the movies shown on TCM would not be considered classics though if not for their nostalgic quality. Terminator and Elvis movies are right up there with many of the movies shown from the 30's and 40's in terms of their lack of quality, but nevertheless having plenty of popular appeal. But I must admit, I'd rather watch mediocre movies from the "golden" era, rather than bad movies from the 80's and 90's.

I don't think it's unreasonable to show movies that are more than 30 years old on a network of classic movies. And "The Terminator" is a perfectly respectable example of eighties filmmakers, even if I'm not a big fan of it. I'd like to point out that if many viewers have been seeing movies of the seventies and eighties for decades, there are newer viewers who have not had the opportunity to see them. I wouldn't mind at all if TCM showed "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore," "Norma Rae", "An Unmarried woman," "Face to Face," or "Breaking Away."

Message was edited by: skimpole

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings