Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Union Station and Crack-Up

Thanks for showing those in the last few days. UNION STATION's always memorable because of the climax in the underground tunnels of the station, and having the kidnap scenario developed by an ex-station employee. Nancy Olsen was a good match for William Holden in this early pairing, too. If she'd taken better care of him after UNION STATION was finished, maybe he wouldn't be doing face-down scenes in swimming pools later.

CRACK UP is Pat O'Brien's interesting addition to Ollie's "Amnesia Film Series", where O'Brien's been drugged into imagining some phantom train accident, and then discredited as an art expert and framed for murder.

Two memorable films. Thanks, TCM.

I liked these, too. Yes, I can put CRACK-UP in my Amnesia Festival although if I renamed it "Delusional Festival", we'd end up with a lot more Vincent Price films, too. Not that that's a bad thing!

CRACK-UP lacked one point of dialog, I thought, and that was the clear reference to the huge sums of money involved in the art forgery market. Ray Collins, however, seemed only interested in the possession of the works, not its monetary value beyond his possession.

Of course, Eli Wallach was the perfect candidate as a similar collector twenty years later in a substantially lighter-hearted film, but both that film and CRACK-UP were interesting tales of art forgeries, museums and feared discoveries.

I had forgotten (repressed?) how villainous Lyle Bettger was as the bad guy in UNION STATION. A great 'really bad' bad guy. He was a pretty good match compared to Ross Martin's character in EXPERIMENT IN TERROR, or Robert Ryan in THE RACKET.