Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any classic horror movie that still scares you or gives you the chills ?

No I dont mean a lot of those newer, no name actors that become victims for reasons that make no sense unless you are the writer, director etc..and also contains those horribly tedious fast edits where you cant really see what the hell is going on :) And I also dont mean those crappy slashers with Jason, Freddy,etc

I am talking about good horror movies with decent actors, and yes, some -many may seem tame by todays standards, but , call me curious, anyone still watches a classic horror movie and it gives you the chills

You can call an old horror a classic or a somewhat recent ala Alien which is considered a classic...feel free to use your own meaning of classic, be it golden age or something generally considered a ***** horror classic.

I find it challenging to find something classic aka old that still gives me a chill, both Bela Lugosi & Chirstopher Lee as Dracula is still menacing to look at but its not scary to me..

Alien still is creepy to me. Psycho and Dressed to Kill with Michael Caine still pack a jolt to me as well..

Is Dressed to Kill a classic per se...most critics will say yes..

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Hey, DSClassic -- You sure do love your horror, Giallo.

Carnival of Souls is a film that makes me jump at times. I don't have it on DVD, but my brother does. A Clockwork Orange is terrifying to me and the ending to Straw Dogs is horrifying.

The "classic" film that has frightened me the most so far is Lady in a Cage. It's a fascinating film that actually makes a statement on the decay of society.

ladyinacage1.jpg

ladyinacage2.jpg

ladyinacage3.jpg

The second scariest film I have seen is The Omen

theomen1.jpg

But the scariest film I have ever seen is The Shining

shining10.jpg

shining11.jpg

simpsons1.jpg

Be warned, a few too many visits to the "Coop" thread and this will be the result:

shining1.jpg

shining2.jpg

shining3.jpg

shining4.jpg

shining5.jpg

shining6.jpg

shining7.jpg

shining8.jpg

shining9.jpg

2001: A Space Odyssey

2001spaceodyssey1.jpg

I have deep fear of blades (e.g., knives, axes) and needles, so if those are in a movie, then my hands are over my eyes because I'm terrified; however, five minutes after the movie, the fear is gone. The real scary movies for me generally don't have much violence, but do involve ever-mounting paranoia in a relatively benign setting. Those movies will keep me thinking, looking over my shoulder, and give me nightmares. At the top of the list:

*Rosemary's Baby*

*Invasion of the Body Snatchers*

Now, our younger daughter (now 20) can watch blood and gore, be scared and entertained, and seemingly have no long term negative reaction. So what scares her?

"Daddy, those eyes...those eyes are too creepy." Tod Browning's *Dracula* just freaks her out (all of the various modern retellings she merely finds amusing). And...

"Daddy, he couldn't really read lips could he?" She refuses to rewatch *2001: A Space Odyssey* because of HAL touched her scary bone.

Go figure.

DSclassic, I just love a question like you posed because I'm a total addict of the old classics, especially after sitting through such junk as I AM LEGEND, SAWIV, etc.

To me, I still get nervous watching that fabulous opening sequence of the grave robbers in l944's FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN. Everything about this scene--from the fantastic camera work and lighting, the creepy musical score by H.J. Salter and Paul Sawtell, that full moon and the croaking crows--is masterful.

John Carpenter's THE THING is beyond great. Carpenter creates an intense, claustophobic atmosphere of men forced together on an isolated outpost in Anarctica--and of course that horrific shift-changing monster.

Some others I love to watch on rainy, cold nights are:

1. HORROR HOTEL

2. CARNIVAL OF SOULS

3. TOURIST TRAP (a real, undiscovered goodie)

4. TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (the original)

5. DEEP RED

6. SUSPIRIA

7. BRIDES OF DRACULA

8. ALL THE MUMMY MOVIES (yes, I am a little prejudiced, especially whenever I see Princess Ananka sinking down into the quicksand at the end with Kharis.

And Frank G., just another rave to you for your always endless supply of striking photos! You should create your own website. It'd be a winner.

Hey Princess, I love that list of movies you watch. Except for the Mummy movies, that list of movies is what I would watch..Deep Red is a favorite of my, Horror Hotel, Carnival of Souls are also really good...when you are in the mood...the faces in COS are really creepy

I haven't seen Tourist Trap, but I am going to soon, I have been wanting to see this for many years, so I actually am going to put this higher in my Netflix queue. It is one of a tiny handful of horror movies that I am interested in seeing but haven't seen it. I have seen just about every horror movie that I wanted to see,,,and then some :)

I will see I am Legend when it hits DVD, as well as the Mist which I heard was good..(cool Bernie Wrightson monsters) and well I have the first SAW movie, the rest are just poop...the first one was really intense. Ok I like a few disturbing ones like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, SAW, Hills Have Eyes remake,etc..

I love the monster in Carpenters The Thing, yes it is a remake but this one a few that were well done IMO along with the Fly and the Blob remakes, those were all fantastic. The Blob remake to me was better than the McQueen version..

I agree with you Metropolis, for the most part yes, a few did stand out, well for me anyway

Exorcism of Emily Rose , Alone in the Dark, The Descent (need to rewatch this)

Hills Have Eyes part 1 - remake

Yes they dont hold a candle to the classics, but at the same time these to me didnt totally suck..

Ones that sucked - again just IMO - recent memory

Feardotcom

USA version The Ring

The Grudge

Ju-On (Japanese version of the Grudge)

Ghost Ship

the Core --more of a scifi movie, but pee yew it stunk

Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake

The Fog remake

Skeleton Key

King Kong remake - its not horror but this sucked

Alright now that was a cheapshot about us over at the Coop thread (it was funny though!).

*The Tingler* with Vincent Price really freaked me out even though the monster thing was pretty cheesy. Still it got me none the less and is one I will probably not rewatch. I also love *I Walked With a Zombie*. When the guy is singing in the dark at the cafe walking slowly towards Frances Dee is really creepy and of course the bug eyed zombie guy is scary too. *House on Haunted Hill* also with Vincent Price is another fave. It's very cool b/c some of the ghosts are real and some are staged so it's a good mix of horror/psychological drama.

I got a little tickled to see so many people mention *Carnival of Souls*. I have the version with Mike Nelson doing funny commentary over it to me it seems more silly than scary. Maybe if I had seen the movie first without the commentary I would have had a different reaction.

I recently watched (for about the third time) The Woman In Black. I know, a made for television movie (Granada) and a fairly recent (released 1989) movie, but that scene...the scene solicitor Arthur Kidd (Adrian Rawls) smacks the back of his neck (for a reason I won't reveal) still blows me away. Good shock...there.

Comparing Ringu and The Ring (I have both movies on dvd), I vote The Ring over Ringu...creep factor-wise. Particularly, the thought record...the supernatural video tape. The video tape made for The Ring is VERY strange. Now, I have a question regarding supernatural recordings. I know my question would be more appropriate if posted on the Sci-Fi channel forum. However, have you looked at the Sci-Fi channel forum? I don't think Sci-Fi channel forum contributors are able to tie shoe laces, much less answer my technical question. Anyway, my question regarding electronic voice recordings. That is, recordings supposedly recorded by ghosts. Okay, I think I can understand analog audio recorded supernaturally, but digital recordings? So, ghosts are able to record binary audio? If the subject is supernatural phenomena, anything is possible...uh, I suppose.

Rusty

Being a fan of gore & cruelty I must admit that today's horror movies hold some fascination for me. (Enjoyed the ingenuousness of "Saw" and "Saw II"). But for classic horror movies that still give chills (and I guess 'classic' is up to interpretation) I'd have to say it'd be hard for me to watch (the original) "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" "Last House on the Left." For less gore & cruelty I find "The Omen" and "The Exorcist" haunting.

I want my Mommy!

I'm a huge horror film fan! I took a class in college on horror films! Very interesting! Met several notable directors in the field. (I.E. Wes Craven, George A. Romero.) The reason I listed some with dates is not to the confuse the film with the really bad Re-Make!

The Fog -1980

Halloween -1978

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre -1974

The Haunting -1963

Rosemary's Baby

A Nightmare on Elm Street

The Silence of the Lambs

House of Wax -1953

Night of the Living Dead

Friday the 13th

Terror Train -1980

Black Christmas - 1974

The Shining -1980

The Hills Have Eyes - 1977

The Hitcher

I always thought "The Exorcist" was over-blown & over-rated, never scared me!! "The Omen" was always campy fun!

I assume you mean the original "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer. They remade it last year, which surprised me, since I didn't think the original made any money.

However, the original "Hitcher" is a lot of fun, at least until it goes "Terminator" happy toward the end. I wish Rutger Hauer had had better parts after "Blade Runner".

Yes I was refering to "The Hitcher" from 1986 which stars Rutger Hauer, C. Thomas Howell and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

The film was #34 on Bravo TV's 100 Scariest Movie Moments!

The film now has a sizeable cult following.

I never saw the Re-Make!! I Re-Main true to the Orginial!

What is crappy is the "Prom Night" is being re-made!!

While I am not a big fan of horror movies I was delighted to see jahrfive mention The Woman in Black. I saw it about ten years ago and was absolutely riveted. It would be my pick for a modern horror film even though it was a movie for TV.

But my first choice isn't one that would be considered a traditional horror movie; it is Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish. I watched it by myself at home one dark and stormy evening and it scared the pants off me! Seeing Shelley Winters in the water sends chills up and down my spine, not to mention Bob walking outside the house with Gish and the kids inside. I thought it was great and could never figure out why Laughton never directed again. Any thoughts?

Hi, ChicagOwen -- I love your two choices. Rosemary's Baby does creep me out.

"Daddy, he couldn't really read lips could he?" She refuses to rewatch 2001: A Space Odyssey because of HAL touched her scary bone.

Did you make her watch 2001: A Space Odyssey when she was four? A least that's better than having her watch A Clockwork Orange. Yikes.

Hey, Princess Giallo -- Let me get this straight. You like the Mummy films AND Dario Argento pics AND No Country for Old Men AND you said this:

John Carpenter's THE THING is beyond great. Carpenter creates an intense, claustophobic atmosphere of men forced together on an isolated outpost in Anarctica--and of course that horrific shift-changing monster.

Ahhhhhhhhh... swoon. I'm officially in love.

And Frank G., just another rave to you for your always endless supply of striking photos! You should create your own website. It'd be a winner.

Ahhhhhhhhh... swoon.

Hiya, DSClassic -- Yes Frank, I am a horror fanatic , including Giallo, before Noir, Mystery and Classics, horror scifi and fantasy was my first love.

Don't I know it. Your tastes make you one of the most unique board members. Now pardon me while I swoon over Princess Ananka again. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Howdy, Coopsy Woopsy's Girl -- Alright now that was a cheapshot about us over at the Coop thread (it was funny though!).

:P

I also love I Walked With a Zombie. When the guy is singing in the dark at the cafe walking slowly towards Frances Dee is really creepy and of course the bug eyed zombie guy is scary too.

For a dame who likes Gary Cooper, you actually do possess some great qualities. Your appreciation of Val Lewton being a big one and your love of MST3K being another. Hold on. I'm checking my list again. Nope, that's it. That's all the great qualities you have, Mighty Blouse. Oh wait, ZAZ and baseball. Okay, you're good to go, Clara.

House on Haunted Hill also with Vincent Price is another fave. It's very cool b/c some of the ghosts are real and some are staged so it's a good mix of horror/psychological drama.

You like Vinny? Interesting.

I got a little tickled to see so many people mention Carnival of Souls. I have the version with Mike Nelson doing funny commentary over it to me it seems more silly than scary. Maybe if I had seen the movie first without the commentary I would have had a different reaction.

I doubt you'll be able to watch it seriously now. You've been poisoned in a good way.

Well, I'm now off to the store to buy some birthday candles. How many do I need again? Sixteen, right?

By the way, the scariest sight I have ever seen is a shirtless Gary Cooper lying asleep in the tub. HORRIFYING!

Yo, Arkadin! -- You know I still haven't watched Don't Look Now. My brother has it on DVD, too. But then again, I haven't watched A LOT of films of late. I'm strugglin'. What makes things worse is that I'm going to be watching Gone with the Wind and Gary Cooper films coming up. I may need you to rescue me.

What's up, CelluloidChris -- I like your list. I'm a John Carpenter fan, so I love Halloween and I really like The Fog. Terror Train, huh?

Hi, Lizimbrie -- But my first choice isn't one that would be considered a traditional horror movie; it is Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish. I watched it by myself at home one dark and stormy evening and it scared the pants off me! Seeing Shelley Winters in the water sends chills up and down my spine, not to mention Bob walking outside the house with Gish and the kids inside. I thought it was great and could never figure out why Laughton never directed again. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts? Yeah, I got one. Phenomenal choice! I consider The Night of the Hunter to be horror noir. It's one of my favorites. You're not going to find too many films that look better, either. It's horrifically gorgeous. Very Expressionistic.

Terror Train

terrortrain1.jpg

John Carpenter's The Fog

fog1.jpg

fog2.jpg

John Carpenter's The Thing

thething1.jpg

thething2.jpg

The Night of the Hunter

nightofthehunter3.jpg

nightofthehunter4.jpg

nightofthehunter5.jpg

nightofthehunter6.jpg

nightofthehunter7.jpg

nightofthehunter8.jpg

nightofthehunter9.jpg

Rosemarys Baby was just too despicable to me...a bunch of 'old ****' who worship the Devil and the feeling of no hope...

Night of the Hunter can be somewhat considered a horror, sort of , Mitchum playing a human monster, chasing kids, it did have its moments...lets say that there were horror elements but certainly isn't a horror movie..still a great film no matter how you see it...

Manos the Hands of Fate, now thats a horror movie that stands out on its own :)

Torgo was supposed to be half man half goat LOL God what a wretched mess of a movie