Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Announces The New Host of The Essentials for 2008

hlywdkjk

I don't mind replacing Carrier Fisher, whose opinion I seldom agreed with but at least she had some insights into films and fans that I appreciated. She did have the years of experience to create supportable arguments for her viewpoints and comparison statements.

I hope TCM will also consider using g-strings and pasties to increase viewership since glitz is so much more important than years of comparative movie-watching.

If anyone wants to re-visit her Guest Programmer evening, the Intros and Outros to the four films she selected are available for viewing in the TCM Media Room. Just click on the "Video" link in the above banner and search using the terms "Movie Intro".

As a reminder, the four fiilm she selected and introduced that evening were A Place In The Sun, Night Of The Hunter, That Touch Of Mink and Out Of The Past (when Robert Osborne compared her to Audrey Totter.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle, Audrey Totter was my choice as new guest programmer in the first place, but I realize TCM's need to promote the young and lovely cleavage set. Totter's all-too-brief appearances on TCM and DVD bonus features makes me wish we were given the chance to hear more fabout her career and her film choices. I'll watch Rose and realize she has limited exposure for her choices, limited experience to compare them to alternatives, and zero personal experience with the films or filmmakers unlike Totter might have offered to us and TCM. Marketing's important and, for that, only the 20-somethings are worthy of American TV broadcasters apparently.

I really like the notion of using some non-celebs to guest program or host.

I'm willing to bet some Betty Sue from Bartlesville or John Doe from Jamestown

would be far more informed and erudite about vintage film than some of the disappointing high profile figures that have guested. Donald Trump? Come now.

It's time for TCM to start thinking outside the box in that regard.

Waldo, ha ha, yes. Or maybe INSIDE the "squared circle" - put Rosie O'D and Donnie's Hair on the mats and see which one is thrown first. Instead of TCM trying to become like AMC with never-another-classic but only modern films and plenty of commercials, maybe they can become TV Rasslin' Delux or some nonsense. That should REALLY help their ratings. Maybe have Robert Osbourne die in a 'roid rage on-camera. Sell tickets. Make a really big splash for those 3 minutes.

Hey Buffalo...I'm with you on that score. Audrey Totter might be a wonderful Guest Programmer to talk to Robert Osborne. Imagine talking to actors who were around during the era of these great old films. Now I'm not sure if Audrey would be into wearing the pasties...but hey, that would be pandering and TCM is above that. (??)

Let's hope they give Rose good films to talk about. I'll skip the intros and watch the films.

CineM and Chuck, well said. Audrey's wink and ferocious side glances would be enough to get me to look! I hope that these classic actors are only refusing to do these shows because they don't want to as opposed to the Jack Palance "No One Calls" Syndrome.

I live near Buffalo, I can come down and guest host anytime...lol

I have a better idea, How about a jeopardy-like game show to test prospective guest host on their movie knowledge and the top say 10 or so winners could compete to see who is best on camera and chemistry with Robert, and actually try to get someone who is knowledgeable and good on camera, like they did on Fine Living last year when the needed a new host for their series ""The Wandering Golfer" They had try outs and were very serious about finding someone who knew golf and was good on camera, The result was they got a very good host who knows her stuff and is very good on camera, ... and I don't even play golf...

winners could compete to see who is best on camera and chemistry with Robert, and actually try to get someone who is knowledgeable and good on camera,>>

Chris,

I agree with you about Kyle. I, too, believe he would make a very good co-host with Robert O.

But the problem is the format of The Essentials. In less than eight minutes you spar with Robert O over the movie chosen. This type of format does not lend itself to finding out much new information about the film, the stars or the filmmakers.

I think Audrey Totter should sit down with Robert O for an hour long Private Screenings where she would have the time to truly talk about her career and her life. She can't do that in the format of the Essentials or as a Guest Programmer.

I am pleased with the choci

e of Rose McGowan as the new host the Essentials. Her comments and cho

I am pleased with the selections of Rose McGowan as the new host of The Essentials. She made good choices of films in November, and her comments were interesting. Let`s give Rose a chance before passing judgement.

Liz, did you see Audrey Totter with some of the other "film noir" ladies chatting with Mr. Osborne in an hour-long show that TCM aired a couple of years ago? That was so very interesting. A bunch of the hard-hearted "dames" of my favorite old noir movies turned out to be nice little old ladies.

have a better idea, How about a jeopardy-like game show to test prospective guest host on their movie knowledge and the top say 10 or so winners could compete to see who is best on camera and chemistry with Robert, and actually try to get someone who is knowledgeable and good on camera,>>

Kenneth,

Last spring (summer?) TCM held an on-line contest and the winner would get to be a Guest Programmer for an evening. People had to submit audition tapes on-line and the voting took place on-line.

The tempest that swirled around this was very loud and very vocal. As expected there were folks who were gracious and folks who were not in their criticism.

TCM came under a great deal of criticism (much of it here on this board) for the way the contest was handled.

After it was all over, I can't imagine TCM wanting to go down that road again any time in the near future.

On the upside, there were a couple of participants who stuck around and have become daily posters to this message board.

I love the idea of a Jeopardy-style game. "And the category is..." and let them go on and on.

I remember the hour-long discussion with the several ladies (3? 4?) - I know there was a twosome of Anns at one time as well with Osborne, and all of them have been so far superior to any other 'talk show' nonsense.

While I have grave reservations about Rose's ability to offer any personal experiences during each of her choice's filming or its contemporary times, I hope she'll do research and maybe compare them to more contemporary events she's witnessed. I hope she won't dredge up books and base her opininos on what others write about. It'd be a total hoot to have her get Shirley MacLane to join her in a chat about THE APARTMENT, how it relates to Rose's world of politics and 21st century doings.

She certainly has the chance to be impressive. One way or the other.

I am not disappointed in her or her abilities. I'm only discouraged that TCM seems to be pushing the Jack Palance "let 'em rot and die" choice so the Roses are all we have left.

(Whch IS infinitely preferable to the Donalds and his puppeteers.)

I'm only discouraged that TCM seems to be pushing the Jack Palance "let 'em rot and die" choice>>

I have to give props to TCM for doing Private Screenings each year.

We often forget that TCM is a business with a yearly budget. It would be easy for them to cut the budget for Private Screenings and use that money towards renting more films. Instead, the folks at TCM hold the line and each year a few stars get the chance to sit down and talk with Robert O about their lives and careers.

I'm sure there are folks at TCM who wish the PS budget was bigger. But, if that were possible, where would you take the money from? Leasing fewer films that are "new to TCM"? Fewer promos for SOTMs? It would quickly become a Catch-22.

In addition, there is the long running Turner Archive Project that has been interviewing men and women who worked during the classic studio era. A lot of those interviews make up the Word of Mouth promos and other promos on certain actors and filmmakers.

In addition, Time-Warner (of which TCM and WBros are part of) is the one company that understands the need for preservation and restoration of films. They are the one company that understands the value of their film library and they are in a race against time to try and preserve as much of it as they can.

Sorry I'd forgotten about that, I wasn't on the boards back then, its still a good idea, maybe they should a different format or judging system maybe a more closed system, maybe not such a public shotgun approach to selection I think I idea needs to be refined and revamp the process.in general,,

did you see Audrey Totter with some of the other "film noir" ladies chatting with Mr. Osborne in an hour-long show that TCM aired a couple of years ago? That was so very interesting. A bunch of the hard-hearted "dames" of my favorite old noir movies turned out to be nice little old ladies.>>

Fred,

I haven't seen that particular Private Screenings though I think I have it in my collection. I love your description of them btw!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings