Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

TCM Announces The New Host of The Essentials for 2008

"That's why I'm putting up Kyle's name for next year." - movieman1957

Now cut that out!

Kyle In Hollywood

I think Rose McGowen is a good choice for co-hosting the essentials, because I was watching that night when she was the Guest Programmer, and she does know her stuff. And to all of those on this board who are complaining about this choice,you really need grow up, because not all those who are young are stupid and ignorant about of movies, especially old movies. I'm 25, and I love TCM, and old movies,now I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I do know some stuff, and I'm not ignorant as some folks on here think all young people are.

"Audrey Totter might be a wonderful Guest Programmer to talk to Robert Osborne. Imagine talking to actors who were around during the era of these great old films."

While I think a "Private Screenings" with someone like Audrey Totter might be of interest to many folks, she is certainly no household name. There would be a very small subset of people who would search out her appearance on TCM. And it sounds like TCM has already been down that road. If it is true, that "Private Screenings" episode needs to be taken off the shelf and shown again soon.

But would Audrey Totter have anything valid - let alone interesting - to say about a film like The Apartment? I bet she could reminisce on her own films quite well but doubt that she has the breadth of knowledge to speak on Essential films not from her era - let alone her genre{s}.

Kyle In Hollywood

"And to all of those on this board who are complaining about this choice,you really need grow up, because not all those who are young are stupid and ignorant about of movies, especially old movies." - Nicki82

Hear, Hear!

Reverse age-ism is certainly common around here. Glad you spoke up.

Kyle (far from 25 years old) In Hollywood

Here, Here,,. I Too am well past 25 and and I find it mortifying that young people have no interest or knowledge of our movie history,, I actually ran into a 16 yr girl who didn't know who Bogart is!! She had barely heard the name, There needs to be a effort to educate kids in the younger years that all movies are import... Horrary for the "Kid " on the Boards...

Youngsters not knowing anything about movies is far too prevalent. My teenage daughter was stunned when none of her friends knew who Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart were. She was also surprised at how many would not watch a black and white movie.

She's tried to get her boyfriend to watch old movies but he was not too interested until I showed him a Laurel and Hardy short. We are making progress.

As far as our new co-hosts age, I don't care as long as she is informative and entertaining. The worst thing they could do would be to put on an older person and have them be boring.

Well thank you! I'm 35 & I have been a classic film fan since as far back as I could remember!!

My mother got me interested in film so I have her to thank! I get so shocked when ever I meet someone (Usually 29 & Under) who doesn't know who Joan Crawford is (Outside Mommie Dearest) or you will see someone with a Marilyn Monroe t-shirt or purse and they say "Ohhh she's an actress, I didn't know I jus thtought it was preatty"?!

Man I feel it's my job to keep film stars alive! I have taken film classes, see 2-3 films per week in theater, & I think I have TCM on 24 Hrs in my house LOL!

I have tons of bios on Hollywood, Movie stars etc!!

To me I wish Hollywood would go back to the studio system! Hollywood is not the same anymore!

You don't have the same gods and goddesses you had back then!

I'd hoped that perhaps David Mamet or the TCM guest programmer Paul Aguirre, who was an articulate and enthusiastic part of November's parade, might be chosen as the New Essentials Host, but I suspect that the youth market and the male-female dynamic might have influenced TCM's choice. Rose McGowan seemed to have some knowledge and interest in the classic films she introduced during her stint with Mr. Osborne, so I'll hope for the best. Besides, I realize that The Essentials isn't really for TCM regulars. It's designed to appeal to the uninitiated.

"In addition, there is the long running Turner Archive Project that has been interviewing men and women who worked during the classic studio era. A lot of those interviews make up the Word of Mouth promos and other promos on certain actors and filmmakers." ~lzcutter

Hi Lynn,

Do you think that access to the Turner Archive Project interviews might show up at their full length or in an edited form on the tube, the website or elsewhere? I really think that with a bit of promotion, these interviews would attract a huge audience of cinephiles. (I'd especially love to see more of Virginia Grey's comments, myself!).

I'd argue that Audrey Totter's views of ESSENTIALS during her era would have far greater personal viewpoints than the researched "regurgitate some academic's opinions over and over" personality like Rose. I think a well-spoken actress like Totter might give an interesting viewpoint from someone in the industry, who may have wanted to be a part of the A-list films, but wasn't getting those roles. I'd imagine that more than a few would find that interesting.

I'll hope Rose will talk about the effect of these Essentials on her peers and her generation. We've already seen postings about the abundance of knowledge that her generation has on those Essentials.

And it's far more appropriate considering that Essential's goal IS for the "uninitiated".

Still, it's amazing to presume someone couldn't imagine a Totter-esque professional might not have anything credible to say personally about these Essentials. Wow. What a plunge!

The lack of interest in our cultural heritage (including film) is indeed sad. Programs like "The Essentials" are a good introduction to some of the best Hollywood films (and I stress "Hollywood"). That said, I do wish a more comprehensive format could be allowed.

I personally would be interested in seeing a critics' round-table discussion after the film, lasting an hour or so with Robert Osborne as moderator. Andrew Sarris, Peter Bogdanovich, Molly Haskell, John Simon, Jonathan Rosenbaum and others could offer a strong, critical opinion beyond the mere trivia and production history information. I don't know how well a program like this would go over with the "general public", but for anyone serious about watching these films with a critical eye and having their own opinions on the film challenged, it would promise to be very enlightening.

I'd watch, and record them to dvd, and TCM should make the series available to schools to use for film/media education. Also another good host would be Charlie Rose, he's a very good interview who dose his homework and get good stuff from interviewees , he the only other talk show I'll watch, The whole Idea is a very good idea.. Also how about making the TCM archives available to schools and the like, if its not already..

Meh. This choice does not excite me at all. I suppose next year we will have Jennifer Anniston in a low-cut dress or something.

But it doesn't matter, I suppose. I rarely watch THE ESSENTIALS, and when I do, I edit out the chitchat anyway.

Sorry...but I don't consider this individual to be knowledgeable enough and experienced enough to have an opinion I'm gonna care about. I suppose if the objective was to pair up Bob with a Hot Young Thing, they have succeed. But if the objective is to educate people about film, I think they could have done alot better.

And considering the fact that some of the folks they might have done alot better WITH won't be around forever....well...

I saw her when she was the guest programmer back in November I loved her choices of movies and thought she came across very well. It didn't hurt that she was also pretty easy on this 28 year olds eyes. I think she's a great choice. Robert Osborne seemed to enjoy having her on as well.

WHY her??? I really dont care what she considers essential. I miss the directors and critics they used to use.........

I love Rose McGowan! I think she is a dman good actress!

I'm very happy with the fact she is going to be on the Essential's! She is intelligent, funny & very open and honest! It all comes down for a "passion" & love of film! I would love to host a night of films myself! I'm a huge film fan! I took some film classes, I do several film fests every year & see 2-3 movies per week in theater! Just because I don't have a degree in film doesn't make me any less of an expert than Rose!

Why be so negativie?

Rose offers a new perspective on films!!

& I loved Rose's choice of films she discussed: " Night Of The Hunter, "Out Of The Past", "A Place In The Sun" and "That Touch Of Mink".

She was smart about her film choices, and it was fun to hear why she selected each film!

I wish Robert just had givin her more time than less than 5 minutes before each film! You could tell Rose had more to say than time would allow!

I would also love to see Harvey Fierstein back as well!

Becuase of Rose I discoverd a Robert Mitchum film I haven't seen before (& I love Robert Mitchum) which was "Out of the Past"! After I watched the film I went online and purchased a copy!

Rose McGowan Filmography:

2008 Black Oasis

2007 Death Proof

2007 Grindhouse

2007 Planet Terror

2006 The Black Dahlia

2005 Elvis (TV)

2002 Charmed: Season 05

2001 Roads to Riches

2001 Monkeybone

2001 Charmed: A Knight to Remember

2001 The Killing Yard

2000 Ready to Rumble

2000 The Last Stop

1999 Jawbreaker

1998 Charmed TV Series

1998 Southie

1998 Phantoms

1997 Lewis & Clark & George

1997 Going All the Way

1997 Devil in the Flesh

1997 Nowhere

1996 Kiss and Tell

1996 Scream

1996 Bio-Dome

1995 The Doom Generation

1992 Encino Man

According to Variety, McGowan has signed on to play B-movie staple Susan Cabot in the upcoming film "Black Oasis".

I do not remember Robert Osborne chatting with the ladies of film noir. A few years ago the actor Scott Glenn moderated a a discussion of film noir. The actresses who participated were Audrey Totter, Jane Greer, Colleen Gray, and Marie Windsor. Sadly Jane and Marie passed away a few years ago. Does anyone else remember conducting these recollections?

"But would Audrey Totter have anything valid - let alone interesting - to say about a film like The Apartment? I bet she could reminisce on her own films quite well but doubt that she has the breadth of knowledge to speak on Essential films not from her era - let alone her genre{s}."

"Still, it's amazing to presume someone couldn't imagine a Totter-esque professional might not have anything credible to say personally about these Essentials. Wow. What a plunge!"

It wasn't meant as a slam against you, your opinion or Audrey Totter as a person of interest to film fans. I only wanted to express that Ms. Totter - or a person of her era - would not be the most capable or appealing person to host the TCM series "The Essentials". It would not serve the purpose of the series well. And I think you agree.

And I think I mis-spoke when I wrote that Robert Osborne compared her complimentarily to Audrey Totter during her Guest Programmer stint. I now believe that he compared her to Jane Greer. If someone checks out the Out Of The Past intros/outros in the Media Room they could verify that one way or another. And I apologize for the error if that is so.

Kyle In Hollywood

I'm not exatly thrilled with the choice,It would be nice if would be someone like Elizabeth Taylor Joanne Woodward Angela Lansbury, or even another guy like Paul Newman Sidney Poiter Gene Hackman.I think they would have a better insight on films.

I thought she was very good on the day she was guest host last year.

(hey, psst.... go to google images. type in her name and mtv. then click on search images. A few years ago she went to an mtv awards show wearing only some kind of fish net.)

Kim,

But isn't that what Private Screenings is for? To give the living legends the opportunity to talk about the films they made and the people they worked with.

Many of the living legends such as Newman and Woodward are retired and would rather spend their time working around the farm house or the theater in Connecticut than fly to NYC or Atlanta and film a series of intros for films that they probably believe other people can introduce better.

Many stars believe that they have little to say about a film they either didn't audition for or star in. We like to think and their memoirs also lead us to believe that they all got together on the weekends and hung out and went out to places like Ciro's together or gathered at Gene Kelly's or Liz Taylor's house for fun.

But once you have told that story you don't want to tell it again and again for twelve weeks.

The format for The Essentials is less for us the die hard movie fans and more for the people that are just learning to like and love movies.

I don't know about you but I have seen, in the course of my life and my love affair with the movies, every film that TCM shows as an Essential. And I have seen them more than once. Occasionally I will watch The Essentials because I like/love the film but it is not appointment tv for me.

The Essentials is basically for those people just discovering TCM or just discovering the classic era movies but have not seen the list of usual films that make up the majority of the Essentials. Rose McGowan and Robert O had some real chemistry together the night she was a Guest Programmer and she talked about the movies she chose and the reasons why very eloquently.

I'd be surprised if the co-hosts for the Essentials chose the movies so we cannot blame Ms. McGowan for the list of films this year. As for her picks for Guest Programmer, she chose films that mattered to her not to us.

Should any of us ever get the chance to be Guest Programmer we would likely do the same. But after all the grief that TCM took from disgruntled fans over the way the Guest Programmer contest was held, I don't see them asking us average Joe's again any time soon.

Writing about the films we love on a message board and talking about the films we love on-camera with Robert Osborne are two very different things. Some people here would be very good at it and others wouldn't. The problem is they don't who would be good and who wouldn't until they get in front of the camera.

I would rather the living legends have the hour long Private Screening with Robert O rather than watch them introduce The Essentials because the format for the Essentials would never be satisfying for them or for us. We would always want more and then we would be clamoring for them to stop running the Essentials and just let Robert O and the living legend talk and then we are back to the Private Screening format.