Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Diana Dors George Brent appreication thread

dsclassic

Instead of 2 separate threads , why not just make one nice one. I started recoginzing George Brent having seen Man Bait & In this our Life..certainly a really good actor & in some good movies, including Dark Victory...he did a few movies with Bette Davis...which are going to be on the Bette Davis Volume 3 box set 4/1/08

Diana Dors first got my attention also in Man Bait (another reason to make one thread for both) and she was hot, I have learned that she was married to Richard Dawson, lucky dog...

I thought Richard Dawson's son was Adam Ant, but I see nothing on that..

Anyway lets here it for Diana Dors and George Brent

I take Diana & I'll leave George to you guys.......They call her a british Marilyn but she made much better movies than Marilyn. The thing about "Man bait" - that is not the actual title. That is a hollywood made up title. The actual title is : "The Last Page"...... this is a pet peeve of mine. I would like all these british movies be shown under their original titles. I mean who has the right to title a movie? The original authors have the right. & many times at least in England the title is taken from the novel. On TCM you see british movies like "She played with fire" which is a bastardized title for "Fortune is a woman", "Wicked as they come" - I could be wrong on this but I heard the original British title is "Portrait in Smoke"......... & many many more.......the time has come to ditch bastardized titles & bastardized prints. we want the real mccoy & we want it now.

Spiral Staircase is a goodie

I was aware Man Bait was the last page...

title rights are also of an interesting topic, see all the Godzilla movies, Italian movies, etc that have multiple titles

One of the movies called Hercules Against the Moon Men in the USA was actually MACISTE in Italy, it wasn't even Hercules :)

I could go on and on about the Godzilla titles, & Gamera too, but I think most are probably aware of all the titles they have

Horror of the Blood Monsters has many titles as well..

I liked her in :

long haul

tread softly stranger

& those already mentioned

the thing about the titles. The original negative has the correct title. Hollywood needs to make new prints & show them. English language titles are different than foreign language. More power to authors in England at least. I could see if a title is bad then it might merit changing. But in most cases the original title means something & the alternate title does not. It diminishes the film. It is something the screenwriters guild & screen directors guild should have laws upon. changing a title is an abuse.

There's a great line in the movie I'M ALL RIGHT JACK." Peter Sellers (playing Fred Kite) is a union leader on strike. He calls a press conference. His daughter, played by Liz Fraser, says, "A press conference? Who do you think you are, Diana Dors?"

manbait vs. the last page

in the movie, raymond huntley tells george brent about a book he thinks will sell & to buy 50 copies. George says why? raymond says on the last page the person killed somebody & buried them with somebody already dead......... so george's wife dies & diana dors is murdered & her body is stashed in a book crate. this crate is delivered to george's house thus making the book story a possible reality..........

Ooooo I can't believe someone with incredibly good taste started a thread on one of my favorite blonde goddesses -- Diana Dors. She is smokin' hot and i'm so jealous from reading the previous posts that you guys have seen The Long Haul and Yield To The Night while i'm still frothing at the mouth to see them. I've only seen Diamond City, The Unholy Wife, I Married A Woman, and Berserk. I did buy the Hammer Film Noir Collection last month so i could get my hands on Man Bait. Diana was married to Richard Dawson from 1961 to 1967 and gave him two sons. I love Diana Dors. I wish she could've made it in Hollywood but at least she tried.

George Brent was in a lot of good movies and starred with some great ladies like Garbo, Hedy, Bette, Jane Russell, Olivia, Barbara, Merle...

I'm sure when i finally watch Man Bait i will enjoy it because of Diana, George, and the beautiful Marguerite Chapman!!

I'm not too familiar with Dors movies, the few I've seen I thought were OK, but Georgie Porgie Brent, now you're talking! I love this guy, I know he's not the greatest actor in the world but he's just fine as he is: solid, warm, comfortable and dependable with a strong streak of Irish cheekiness to keep things interesting. He had an amusing way of sitting back and letting hyper actresses chew the scenery and looking like he enjoyed it. I like that. He evidently had such a coloful life off-screen before coming to Hollywood that he just took the money and ran when he went into pictures.

Bette Davis said he could have been a good actor if he'd cared anything about it. She said this before she complained about the stains his hair tonic left on her pillow cases. :P I have read things were strained between her and Ann Sheridan on the set of The Man Who Came to Dinner because Ann had just won Georgie away from her.

Geez, MissG. What a surprise! I agree with you! :P

I like George Brent alot.

I didn't used to like him. In fact, at one time I found him a bit annoying - can't remember why though...

But what changed my mind was some of the films shown during Jean Arthur month last year. I watched every single one of those films and George was in several. And it was then that I really began to warm up to him.

And for exactly the reasons you mentioned, MissG. He's not the absolute best actor around, but he is very competent and for whatever reason, he is very relaxing to watch. I guess it's because he seems to be a fairly low key guy, and that really comes through in his performances.

I have read that actresses loved working with him because while he was a very nice-looking man, he was not so much so that he distracted the attention from them. It's interesting to think about that, because I'm not sure if this was really because his looks...or because of his manner.

I don't know much about his private life - I don't ever recall seeing any books about him out there...

What was his life like before Hollywood? Educate me! :D

By the way, I've been watching some of his lesser-known films lately...and he is just as good in those. I especially liked SUBMARINE D-1 (1937). He was good in that. It is a Pat O'Brien film...but Wayne Morris stole every scene he was in. And George did an excellent job as well.

• 1 year later...

Dors was best in 'Yield to the Night'. That was one amazing performance. Sadly, her 'sex kitten' looks and tarty antics never allowed her to be taken seriously. I'm from England and grew up with seeing Diana Dors as a bit of a 'joke character', if you know what I mean (her weight problem, her overly made-up face, her platinum tresses, etc...all the subject of ridicule by stand-up comedians and snide tabloids). I think it was only when she died that Britain really realized what a great talent they had lost. She was also a really great writer! I read her autobiography ('Dors, by Diana') which wasn't ghost-written, and talk about a ripping read! I also read a book she wrote called 'The A-Z of Men' (or something), in which she basically 'kiss and told' (and totally slagged off) every man she'd ever met (and as 99% of them were famous, it made for a riveting read!)

Very brave lady who was treated horribly by the men she got involved with, AND by the British press. But moreover, and incredibly talented actress who (through both her own fault and the fault of others) was never allowed to do what she was GOOD at; acting.

I will need to check out Yield To The Night one of these days. I admit I am only familiar with Diana Dors because of her association with *Richard Dawson* (her 2nd husband). Dors is just not a well known name in the US. But because of my interest in him I did see some clips of her on the Diana Dors Show. Although I do remember reading an interview with Dawson when he talked about her (well after their divorce) where he basically defended her to the media and said how he was still very fond of her and it was because she left him their two sons that was only the reason he didn't completely break down when she left. That always stood out to me.

I would be interested in what she said about him in her autobiography and I certainly hope she didn't trash him.

If I'm not mistaken Georgie Porgie will have his day on TCM coming up in the next coupla weeks.

As for Diana Dors, I taped "The Unholy Wife" and hope to watch it soon. Here are two YouTube clips of Diana. The first is earlier in life and the second shows her later in life during an interview show that also featured Robert Wagner. Their chemistry and fond affection for each other is very lovely to see. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeRxT7qi5Bg

There's another chance to see Diana this week on TCM Underground: "Deep End", from 1971, directed by Jerzy Skolimowski. I saw it in a theater at the time and it's fairly creepy, but fascinating. She plays a rather forlorn patron at a bathhouse and is obviously past her physical prime, but I recall her making a huge impression.

Edited by: DougieB on Jan 12, 2010 10:53 PM

Oh dear I have to say it ... 'What are Diana Dors?' - British judge in case where, for some reason I can't remember, a ref. to the splendiferous Miss D. was made. True story.

Glad to see her getting her due. She's MARVELOUS in an early '70's children's film (equally good for adults if not more so) 'THE AMAZING MR BLUNDEN' in which she plays a deliciously evil would-be-child-murdering housekeeper.

Really glad to know abt. her books!

Glad to see a thread to appreciate George Brent he is talented and very handsome I dont understand why he is so under rated. He played in over 80 movies and someone must have liked him back then for himto get so many parts.he has enough movies to dedicate something to him at least on his birthday March 15. Come on Rob Osborn give us some info on this man i think he deserves it

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings