Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM on this year's "31 Days Of Oscar"

hlywdkjk

From the press release on this year's "31 Days Of Oscar" event.

Taking its annual 31 DAYS OF OSCAR? film festival to an entirely new level, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will showcase the depth of its movie library by devoting each night in February to a decade of OSCAR?-winning and nominated films—all uncut and commercial free.

More than 35 titles are making their first appearance on TCM, including the first Best Picture winner, 1927’s Wings (Monday, Feb. 4); such cultural touchstones as Five Easy Pieces (Friday, Feb. 1) and Easy Rider (Thursday, Feb. 7); box-office blockbusters like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Sunday, Feb. 10), Steel Magnolias (Saturday, Feb. 16) and Maverick (Sunday, March 2); and one of the most nominated films of all, All About Eve (Saturday, March 1). Also new to TCM are such modern classics as Atlantic City (Saturday, Feb. 2), The Trip to Bountiful (Saturday, Feb. 2), The Wings of the Dove (Sunday, Feb. 3), Kundun (Sunday, Feb. 3), Apocalypse Now (Friday, Feb. 8), Amistad (Sunday, Feb. 17) and Contact (Sunday, Feb. 24).

“In this, the 14th year we’ve presented TCM’s 31 DAYS OF OSCAR?, we are really showing off our movie library, which is without a doubt the biggest and best in the industry,” said Charlie Tabesh, senior vice president of programming for TCM. “By dedicating each night to a particular decade and each day to a specific theme, we prove that no other network can celebrate the Academy Awards with the breadth of TCM.”

No argument from me on that last point. Well done Mr. Tabesh... as always.

Kyle In Hollywood

I'm surprised that the website didn't offer an easy link into listing all those 35 films. I can sort of understand this reluctance, considering the few names listed. I'm not sure how much worse the list can get. Or is this a "Let's list our worst-ever choices and everything else has to be better" idea?

I wonder when TCM will play some differnt Oscar related films!

I'm still waiting for:

"Come to the Stable"

It was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role (Loretta Young), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Celeste Holm), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Elsa Lanchester), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White, Best Cinematography, Best Music, Song (Alfred Newman and Mack Gordon for "Through a Long and Sleepless Night") and Best Writing, Motion Picture Story.

Another film I would like to see which is not listed (I read the "Now Playing" Guide 3xs) is

The Valley of Decision

It was nominated for two Academy Awards (1946) for Best Actress in a Leading Role (Greer Garson) and Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture.

Joan Crawford won that year for Best Actress for 1945- Mildred Pierce!!

Also "War & Peace"! I know it's out there somewhere on DVD, but I can't find it!

Chuck, like you, I'm surprised the press release on the website mentions the 35 films but doesn't offer an easy link to their entire list. Suggestions to scroll thru a months' worth of several hundred titles seems to have ignored your comment about finding an "easy link". Surely someone at the TCM website KNEW all the 35 names but decided not to make it easy to support that number by showing users all 35 names.

That must be from the Joe McCarthy Memorial Department Of Numbered Lists.

"We have 35..."

"We have 218..."

"We have 173.."

It would have been cool to not only apply the BOLD TEXT effect, but also put the URL under it so clicking on that would have popped up a window listing them.

Here's a link to TCM's special webpage for the "31 Days Of Oscar" event.

http://www.tcm.com/redirects/link/?cid=189674

And here's a link to the complete "Movie News" page for the Press Release

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=191590

Sorry. I forgot to include that with the original post.

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - I think I have compiled a list of 30 of the "premieres" but don't have time to post it now.

These full page schedules may help you put together a partial list too.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=PST&oid=2/1/2008

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=PST&oid=3/1/2008 (March 1 & 2 only)

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

Kyle, now THAT'S the link I was hoping to see! A fairly quick way to see all of their chose films. I hope I can find the list of their 'never before seen on TCM' films. After all, we can't let TCM go without complaints. I love the channel too much to only pile on sweet-nothings. There's nothing wrong with turning up the heat occasionally. ha ha

"Kyle, now THAT'S the link I was hoping to see!" - Buffalo Chuck

You're welcome - but which link was the one you used?

The complete schedule for February has been available for weeks now. It is the link to the special webpage/website set up for "31 Days Of Oscar" that is "new".

( http://www.tcm.com/redirects/link/?cid=189674 )

At that webpage there is supposed to be a link to a PDF file also listing the "31 Days..." selections. I write about that link because the PDF files available each month with the primetime grid of the TCM schedule also includes designations of a film being a "premiere". This month's PDF notes such films as The Natural, The Trip To Bountiful, Cell 2455, Death Row and The File On Thelma Jordan (among others) as being "TCM Premieres".

I looked over the entire "31 Days.." schedule this morning. As a long time viewer, here is my educated guess at 20-some of the Feb/March titles that are being shown on TCM for the first time.

Five Easy Pieces (1970)

Atlantic City ( 1981)

Kundun (1997)

The Wings Of The Dove (1997)

Wings (1927)

--A Nous La Liberte (1931)--

--The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)--

Easy Rider (1969)

The Reivers (1969)

Apocalypse Now (1979)

Midnight Express (1978)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King (2003)

Se7en (1995)

Little Big Man (1970)

Steel Magnolias (1989)

Amistad (1997)

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Equus (1977)

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973)

Yes, Giorgio (1982) (with the recently deceased Luciano Pavarotti Bravo!)

Contact (1997)

Marathon Man (1976)

--Kotch (1971)--

All About Eve (1950)

The Dresser (1983)

Maverick (1994)

While I am pretty certain all the above titles are "premieres", these below are ones I am less sure are being shown for the first time.

Memphisto (1982)

Wild Is The Wind (1957) (Anthony Quinn and Anna Magnani)

--The Whisperers (1967)--

Voyage Of The Damned (1976)

Caesar And Cleopatra (1945)

--Love With The Proper Stranger-- (1964)

--Save The Tiger (1973)--

--The Fall Of The Roman Empire (1964)--

Samson And Delilah (1949)

The Bodyguard (1992) (though I think this was shown last year)

The Buccaneer (1958) (with Yul Brynner)

The Buccaneer (1938) (with Fredric March)

There Goes My Heart (1938) (with Fredric March)

--The Spanish Main (1945) (with Paul Henreid and Maureen O'Hara)--

Captain Caution (1940)

On The Beach (1959)

Seance On A Wet Afternoon (1964)

If anyone else can say - one way or another - if they have or have not seen any of these films on TCM, chime in and set us straight.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle:

I'm fairly certain that TCM has shown FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE. I remember seeing it for the first time a few years ago, in letterbox, no commercials, so it had to be on TCM.

It is interesting TCM is showing CELL 2455, DEATH ROW, which is based on the Caryl Chessman case. I saw that film probably 40 years ago or so on television (I think I was 3 :) )

Rich

Rich -

Thanks for chiming in. You are probably correct about The Fall Of The Roman Empire. It isn't a film I would go out of my way to see let alone remember if it has been shown on TCM in the past.

I did re-read the "press release" to check and see if the wording regarding the "premieres" was such that it meant that there are 35+ films being shown during the "31 Days..." event for the first time - but some of these films may have been seen on TCM before at some other time, during some other month during the year. But I don't believe that is the case. The "premieres" during "31 Days..." are "new-to-TCM" selections.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks to 'scsu1975', 'skimpole' and 'Fedya' for helping whittle down the list of "potential" premieres next month.

Has anyone been to the special webpage for the "31 Days..." event and downloaded the PDF file and looked that over? I would but my PC is too old for the newest versions of Macromedia's Flash technology.

And "Fedya", TCM has shown Joe and Ethel Terp... in the past. I included the film in my very first Programming Challenge Schedule as part of a group of films based on Damon Runyon Stories and remember it popped up once during the following year. But I never got the chance to see it so I would like it if it ran again soon. I am curious if it is at all entertaining.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi, Kyle -- How's thangs?

Apocalypse Now was definitely shown on TCM before because I was stunned to see it, uncut, on cable television in the middle of the night.

Love with the Proper Stranger will be shown on January 20th at 6:00 P.M. EST. I'm looking forward to its airing. That would be its TCM premiere if it's never been shown prior.

Hi Frank Grimes -

My "thangs" are doing fine, thanks.

If you saw Apocalypse, Now on cable late one night it wasn't on TCM. That film is one of the movies referenced in the press release as being a TCM premiere next month. I know Showtime (and sometime Starz) show films letterboxed so it might have been on there. And now that I think about it, even Encore has shown certain films in the letterbox format. ((The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for example)

I remembered that some folks were excited about the upcoming showing of Love With The Proper Stranger but I wasn't sure in what month that showing was first occurring. Thanks for setting the record straight. The list has been adjusted to reflect the info.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey, Kyle -- If you saw Apocalypse, Now on cable late one night it wasn't on TCM.

I stand corrected.

This is from 1998:

AMC showed the unedited R-rated versions of "Apocalypse Now" and "The Boys in Company C" on Saturday night and some cable operators are hopping mad.

Hi, DSClassic -- Thanks for the love.

No, I haven't seen Love from a Stranger or Love with the Proper Stranger either, for that matter.

I'm not surprised they've shown Joe and Ethel Turp... before, as its an MGM B movie. It's just that it's one of those movies that hasn't been shown in a long time (sounds like spring 2006 if it showed up after your first Programming Challenge entry), and having used it myself in a Programming Challenge, I'd love to see it.

By the same token, I'm thrilled to see Outward Bound showing up in March, as I believe it's been three years since that one's showed up.

Mark:

I presume you're talking about Come to the Stable being a Fox movie? (One of the problems with this board's lack of threading and lack of quoting by default is that it's sometimes difficult to follow who's responding to what.)

CelluloidKid also brought up Valley of Decision, which is airing at 12:15 AM ET on the 20th (that's 9:15 PM on the 19th out in the Pacific Time Zone) on TCM (and is an MGM movie).

Apologies if I sound pedantic, but knew somebody had brought up Valley of Decision as a movie TCM should show more often, and wanted to point out that it's coming up soon.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings