Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NEW HOSTS DAVE KARGER AND ALICIA MALONE...

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Isn't that the stuff that is administered to people who are believed to have ingested poison? I think that's the medicine they give people to induce vomiting in an attempt to get the poison (or what not) out of their system.

Syrup of ipecac (/ˈɪpɪkæk/), commonly referred to as ipecac, is a drug that was once widely used as an expectorant (in low doses) and a rapid-acting emetic (in higher doses). It is obtained from the dried rhizome and roots of Carapichea ipecacuanha from which it derives its name.

In particular, the rapidly induced forceful vomiting produced by ipecac was considered for many years to be an important front-line treatment for orally ingested poisons. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrup_of_ipecac

• Like 1

I'm OK with Ben, Alicia, and Dave. But Eddie is the only host where I will record for posterity because of his comments. Plus his intro tells me what to look for in the noir and often makes an OK picture pretty interesting. Take "The Man Who Cheated Himself". Put some plain scripted remarks in front of it and behind it, and I'd probably go "meh". But Eddie had me looking for certain details and made the viewing experience memorable because of what was wrong with the film as much as because of what was right with it.  However, I think Eddie goes deep and narrow. He would probably come off as awkward commenting on anything outside of noir, crime, or mystery.

• Like 6
  • 6 months later...

I am one of the few who have an issue with Alicia Malone. It isnt her accent in particular, people speak english around the world and I often, or usually, find the brogue, accent or regional versions to be appealing. Some are harder or easier on the ears than others. even here in America, as in the UK, and maybe in Australia too, there are regions that grate on the ears; some are melodious, nearly. I just think there could have been a female with more ad lib and encyclopedic -instant recall of information they gained over years, experience or reading for that matter. reading from prompters is tough enough to take , from a viewer/listener's perspective but to also have each word and sentence inflected at the end of the word and/or sentence is unpleasant. Alicia is very attractive and has a big bright smile too, nearly 'too pretty' for the role eg facial nuances beyond raising one eyebrow at a time. I wish her well of course, but i dont think she has practiced enough , by now, a year later already. practice and experience can , has and will make for a better on camera or stage presentation. it may require off work practice and while i see some improvements in her presence, not nearly as much as i expected. i dont think this is asking too much either.

"Permagrin"??? Isn't that some kind'a Falcon or somethin'???

(...sorry, couldn't resist...and yes limey ol' boy, couldn't agree more with you about Dave's "permagrin"...I too can't believe the guy doesn't have more of a repertoire of facial expressions than THAT one!)

LOL - now I've got the idea of Harrison Ford & Chewy scooting around the Empire in their Permagrin Falcon (repeatedly having to thump something or nick spare teeth from Vader's locker in order to keep the Light Grin Jump drive going)...

• I think you are confused. I believe it is called a Peregrine Falcon.  It is quite a beautiful bird of prey.image.jpeg.12a6d69bc856a79ec0782dcbbecf161a.jpeg
  • Haha 1
On 8/12/2018 at 7:41 PM, cigarjoe said:

Eddie must stick with Noir, I wouldn't take him seriously talking about say musicals, you know he'll be reading off of somebody else's script. Its the same with the wine club promos, He looks just like he's just goofing off with them and even, to me anyway, slightly lit up (tasting a bit too much).

cigarjoe, Eddie introduced the silent version of STELLA DALLAS at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, and he personalized his introduction wonderfully. While his expertise is in noir, he is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about movies outside of that genre. His POV on other types of films could surprise people!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Beth Ann Gallagher said:

cigarjoe, Eddie introduced the silent version of STELLA DALLAS at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, and he personalized his introduction wonderfully. While his expertise is in noir, he is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about movies outside of that genre. His POV on other types of films could surprise people!

Thanks I saw him do a promo for an adventure film he did good for it whatever it was. 

• Like 1
On 8/16/2018 at 7:45 AM, calvinnme said:

I'm OK with Ben, Alicia, and Dave. But Eddie is the only host where I will record for posterity because of his comments. Plus his intro tells me what to look for in the noir and often makes an OK picture pretty interesting. Take "The Man Who Cheated Himself". Put some plain scripted remarks in front of it and behind it, and I'd probably go "meh". But Eddie had me looking for certain details and made the viewing experience memorable because of what was wrong with the film as much as because of what was right with it.  However, I think Eddie goes deep and narrow. He would probably come off as awkward commenting on anything outside of noir, crime, or mystery.

I agree! I really enjoy his intros, and the long "outros" if that's a word. You really feel his love of film , his passion when he talks about them. While Robert Osborne was a bit more low key, you were so keenly aware of his sheer love of films, big and small.

• Like 1

I don't watch Noir Alley. I only see Eddie Muller in the Wine Club Promos or the hosts' round table. I enjoy his feature where he speaks about his Dad. Based on recent entries in the Noir Alley thread, sounds like Eddie is a fan favorite, more than the others.

I can only agree with cigarjoe if that is the way Eddie and TCM want it to be. I think many of us would enjoy seeing and hearing more from Eddie, even if it was out of his comfort zone. If Eddie knows Noir, which is not in question, then Eddie knows movies.

I would not leave the room while Eddie Muller talks about a movie.🎙️

• Like 1

If one wants to know if a person is a real expert in a field, like antiques, baseball statistics or even movie lore, meet up with them in a libation type lounge sometime and see what they know off the top of their head without a prewritten script.

That's the real test of expertise.

Just saying.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

anyone notice Malone seems to be LOSING her cute Aussie accent??

Wonder if it's deliberate?? :unsure:

giphy.gif

I dunno if she's losing her Aussie accent or not Mr.Sixes, but I sure do love this gif of yours here anyway!

(...man is that cute as hell)

• Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...

Hell, I don't know if Alica is now using Botox or not, but having just caught her out-tro of Cry Havoc a few minutes ago, I thought she looked really good tonight! And I mean REALLY good!!!

And no, NOT that she looked or is somehow attempting to "look younger" or in anyway "artificially enhanced", but just looked really really NICE. And especially her new hair color which appears to be toned down from that bright carrot red she used to sport, and now more natural looking. Her new hairstyle was also very appealing, and even a little more "sophisticated".

(...and so, I don't know why the newbie was complaining here, 'cause once again I thought Alicia has never looked better, and no, NOT any "younger" or "attempting" to) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hell, I don't know if Alica is now using Botox or not, but having just caught her out-tro of Cry Havoc a few minutes ago, I thought she looked really good tonight! And I mean REALLY good!!!

And no, NOT that she looked or is somehow attempting to "look younger" or in anyway "artificially enhanced", but just looked really really NICE. And especially her new hair color which appears to be toned down from that bright carrot red she used to sport, and now more natural looking. Her new hairstyle was also very appealing, and even a little more "sophisticated".

(...and so, I don't know why the newbie was complaining here, 'cause once again I thought Alicia has never looked better, and no, NOT any "younger" or "attempting" to) 

For the record, I don't think Alicia has had botox.  She's only a couple years older than me.  I don't think that *I* need botox.  

While I realize that she's wearing makeup, she has the most beautiful skin.  I am envious of it. 

I think she's really pretty and I love her accent.  She also has a podcast that I've listened to and it's obvious that she's very passionate about film and is very knowledgeable.  She also comes across as a bit of a nerd (in a "I love movies so much" type way) that I found endearing.

I'm just sick of people coming onto the boards with the sole purpose of criticizing someone (usually the female host)'s appearance.  Where are the threads wondering why Ben Mankiewicz hasn't gone for Botox? Why won't Eddie Muller dye his grey hair? He'd look so much younger without it!  ::rolls eyes:: 

At least with our female and male body threads, we are celebrating people's appearances.  It is a positive environment. 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

For the record, I don't think Alicia has had botox.  She's only a couple years older than me.  I don't think that *I* need botox.  

While I realize that she's wearing makeup, she has the most beautiful skin.  I am envious of it. 

I think she's really pretty and I love her accent.  She also has a podcast that I've listened to and it's obvious that she's very passionate about film and is very knowledgeable.  She also comes across as a bit of a nerd (in a "I love movies so much" type way) that I found endearing.

I'm just sick of people coming onto the boards with the sole purpose of criticizing someone (usually the female host)'s appearance.  Where are the threads wondering why Ben Mankiewicz hasn't gone for Botox? Why won't Eddie Muller dye his grey hair? He'd look so much younger without it!  ::rolls eyes:: 

At least with our female and male body threads, we are celebrating people's appearances.  It is a positive environment. 

I agree (about the "no botox.") She is simply young and pretty.  I have liked Alicia Malone from the start.  She loves movies, has in-depth knowledge and projects an enthusiasm that is infectious.  The one I was really down on in the beginning was Dave Karger (seems like he has no personality!) but he does seem to be improving.  Karger aside (and he doesn't bother me, just seems too dull) I think TCM has hit upon a great group of hosts with Ben, Eddie & Alicia.  I think the new host of Silent Sunday seems promising, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lydecker said:

I agree (about the "no botox.") She is simply young and pretty.  I have liked Alicia Malone from the start.  She loves movies, has in-depth knowledge and projects an enthusiasm that is infectious.  The one I was really down on in the beginning was Dave Karger (seems like he has no personality!) but he does seem to be improving.  Karger aside (and he doesn't bother me, just seems to dull) I think TCM has hit upon a great group of hosts with Ben, Eddie & Alicia.  I think the new host of Silent Sunday seems promising, too.

Yes. I like this group of people.  While RO was in his own class, I think the new group is doing just fine.  I rarely watch Silent Sunday Nights, but I'm glad they found a host for that feature.  It always just kind of started after the Sunday double-feature.

Does TCM Imports have a host? I rarely watch that one as well as it's on really late at night (like 1am) for me. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes. I like this group of people.  While RO was in his own class, I think the new group is doing just fine.  I rarely watch Silent Sunday Nights, but I'm glad they found a host for that feature.  It always just kind of started after the Sunday double-feature.

Does TCM Imports have a host? I rarely watch that one as well as it's on really late at night (like 1am) for me. 

Alicia Malone hosts TCM Imports.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon this forum and agree with those persons who have commented that Alicia Malone is the wrong host for TCM. Specifically, I question her credentials. She is not a journalist or academic, has no film industry experience and no college degree. Does she write her own introductions? A few months ago, she introduced "The Party" with Peter Sellers, gleefully praising the film, failing to mention that Sellers appears in racist brown face, denigrating Indians and perpetuating stereotypes. TCM has hired a fantastic new host, Jacqueline Stewart, a highly accomplished woman of color with a PhD in film studies and professor at the University of Chicago, who has discussed racial stereotypes in classic films. TCM, please hire more presenters like Stewart, Muller, Karger and Mankiewicz. Granted, Malone is attractive,  is an old movie fan and can read a teleprompter, but that alone does not qualify her as a suitable TCM host. 

7 hours ago, Anonymous* said:

I just stumbled upon this forum and agree with those persons who have commented that Alicia Malone is the wrong host for TCM. Specifically, I question her credentials. She is not a journalist or academic, has no film industry experience and no college degree. Does she write her own introductions? A few months ago, she introduced "The Party" with Peter Sellers, gleefully praising the film, failing to mention that Sellers appears in racist brown face, denigrating Indians and perpetuating stereotypes. TCM has hired a fantastic new host, Jacqueline Stewart, a highly accomplished woman of color with a PhD in film studies and professor at the University of Chicago, who has discussed racial stereotypes in classic films. TCM, please hire more presenters like Stewart, Muller, Karger and Mankiewicz. Granted, Malone is attractive,  is an old movie fan and can read a teleprompter, but that alone does not qualify her as a suitable TCM host. 

Who cares if Sellers was in "brown face?" And so what if Jacqueline Stewart is a woman of color as you say. She is a woman who is a great host. Why does everything have to be about race? Good grief.

17 hours ago, Anonymous* said:

I just stumbled upon this forum and agree with those persons who have commented that Alicia Malone is the wrong host for TCM. Specifically, I question her credentials. She is not a journalist or academic, has no film industry experience and no college degree. Does she write her own introductions? A few months ago, she introduced "The Party" with Peter Sellers, gleefully praising the film, failing to mention that Sellers appears in racist brown face, denigrating Indians and perpetuating stereotypes...

Anonymous, you touched a nerve here.  First off, The Party is perhaps my all-time favorite film.  Peter Sellers took acting improv to a whole different level in this movie, Blake Edwards' direction is loose and empathetic to the actors, and the storyline - a bumbling yet lovable actor who inadvertently destroys a stuffy Hollywood party - is something that anyone in or out of Hollywood can appreciate.  Secondly...you call it "racist brown face."  I call it "brown facial makeup," used to make his character - who is the hero of the movie, and who the audience can't help but love - more believable.  How does the character "denigrate (Asian) Indians"?  Because he's clumsy?  Perhaps Inspector Clouseau then "denigrates" Frenchmen?  Perhaps Barney Fife "denigrates" cops?  Come on.

And as far as "perpetuating stereotypes," a stereotype is a quality that is perennially and unfairly associated with a person or thing.  The character of Hrundi V. Bakshi is the only instance I know of a bumbling Asian Indian.  I've had many Asian Indian friends over the years, and all are intelligent, well-educated, and dignified.  So I don't see how the Bakshi character could possibly be perpetuating any stereotype.

Your misplaced outrage and choice of language remind me of a barking seal who's been carefully well-trained by...well, I won't say it.

Lastly...I think Alicia Malone is wonderful.

• Like 2