Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NEW HOSTS DAVE KARGER AND ALICIA MALONE...

4 hours ago, greenpete58 said:

Anonymous, you touched a nerve here.  First off, The Party is perhaps my all-time favorite film.  Peter Sellers took acting improv to a whole different level in this movie, Blake Edwards' direction is loose and empathetic to the actors, and the storyline - a bumbling yet lovable actor who inadvertently destroys a stuffy Hollywood party - is something that anyone in or out of Hollywood can appreciate.  Secondly...you call it "racist brown face."  I call it "brown facial makeup," used to make his character - who is the hero of the movie, and who the audience can't help but love - more believable.  How does the character "denigrate (Asian) Indians"?  Because he's clumsy?  Perhaps Inspector Clouseau then "denigrates" Frenchmen?  Perhaps Barney Fife "denigrates" cops?  Come on.

And as far as "perpetuating stereotypes," a stereotype is a quality that is perennially and unfairly associated with a person or thing.  The character of Hrundi V. Bakshi is the only instance I know of a bumbling Asian Indian.  I've had many Asian Indian friends over the years, and all are intelligent, well-educated, and dignified.  So I don't see how the Bakshi character could possibly be perpetuating any stereotype.

Your misplaced outrage and choice of language remind me of a barking seal who's been carefully well-trained by...well, I won't say it.

Lastly...I think Alicia Malone is wonderful.

While I agree with how you "interpret" the character in The Party and Sellers' acting,     my view is that one shouldn't question the interpretation of others.    E.g. if someone else finds something offensive,   "accept" that is how they feel,   instead of questioning their feelings as somehow wrong.

You're barking seal comment is insulting.        I assume you don't like it when someone implies your racist because you don't SEE,  what to them is an obviously racist stereotype,  implying you're just a barking seal.

52 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Is Dave Karger still on the network? I haven't seen him recently. Eddie Mueller has been doing more hosting outside of Noir Alley.

Dave is an actor.     Maybe he is working on a film or T.V.  show.

NOT!!   Note I was mistaken.     Dave isn't an actor.     Hopefully he is just taking a break since I like how he covers certain genres like musicals.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Dave Karger is an entertainment reporter. He used to be the editor of Entertainment Weekly. As far as I know, he's never been an actor.

I re-check the link I was reading and yea,  I was mistaken (well mislead since it does list "interesting actors"  in the write-up).

Hey,  at least I didn't confuse TCM's Dave with another Dave Karger: David Ron Karger (born May 1, 1967) is a professor of computer science and a member of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.

(funny but there is more info about this professor than there is about TCM's host Dave).

30 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Dave Karger is an entertainment reporter. He used to be the editor of Entertainment Weekly. As far as I know, he's never been an actor.

I dunno about that, Lawrence.

I'm PRETTY sure I once saw his performance as Biff in a Scottsdale dinner theater presentation of Death of a Salesman a few years ago.

(...although of course, I suppose it could've also been some other young actor who appeared to have a permanent little grin plastered on his face too)  ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

NOT!!   Note I was mistaken.     Dave isn't an actor.     Hopefully he is just taking a break since I like how he covers certain genres like musicals.

I clicked on a YouTube thumbnail the other day which was a  Canadian TV interview with the JOJO RABBIT cast. I was surprised to find that the interviewer was Dave Karger! I know I've said this before, but he's good at interviewing or co-hosting. He doesn't interrupt the guests or prompt them in any way, either.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, MovieCollectorOH said:

Those operating this forum bring this upon themselves, with the ability now (since the forum upgrade) to arbitrarily post here without even creating an account.

Really?  Well, that sucks!

15 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Is Dave Karger still on the network? I haven't seen him recently. Eddie Mueller has been doing more hosting outside of Noir Alley.

I haven't watched TCM for several weeks (not on my TV package yet).  Dave normally does/did the Saturday afternoon and Monday night slots.  Alicia does Sunday afternoon and Tuesday night.  Ben covers Wednesday through Sunday prime time schedules, and Eddie Muller is sort of the 'pinch hitter' for TCM, filling in for any of the other hosts if necessary, when he's not covering 'Noir Alley'.  At least, that's what I remember when I was able to watch.  I might get TCM by mid-February, if I can swing it financially.  I haven't paid for television programming since October, and I have to admit, that aspect of having something like Roku is pretty cool.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I clicked on a YouTube thumbnail the other day which was a  Canadian TV interview with the JOJO RABBIT cast. I was surprised to find that the interviewer was Dave Karger! I know I've said this before, but he's good at interviewing or co-hosting. He doesn't interrupt the guests or prompt them in any way, either.

Good!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:51 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

While I agree with how you "interpret" the character in The Party and Sellers' acting,     my view is that one shouldn't question the interpretation of others.    E.g. if someone else finds something offensive,   "accept" that is how they feel,   instead of questioning their feelings as somehow wrong.

You're barking seal comment is insulting.        I assume you don't like it when someone implies your racist because you don't SEE,  what to them is an obviously racist stereotype,  implying you're just a barking seal.

I’ll agree that my “barking seal” wording is insulting.  It was a low blow, and I apologize to the commenter (if he/she is still around).

I probably should have said something like “My impression is that you rely too heavily on the interpretations and clichéd language of others who perhaps have certain 21st century social goals.  Try not to be so impetuous, think for yourself, and watch the movie and character with an open mind (as I originally watched it).”

Also, I do “accept” the commenter’s feelings, and I don’t consider them "wrong."  (Personal feelings are realities to that individual, so how can one person "question" another person’s feelings?)  What I’m questioning is the motivation behind those feelings.  There’s nothing wrong with this type of questioning, and it’s been the basis of healthy human debate for hundreds of years.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 8:47 PM, Dargo said:

I dunno about that, Lawrence.

I'm PRETTY sure I once saw his performance as Biff in a Scottsdale dinner theater presentation of Death of a Salesman a few years ago.

Whenever I think of dinner theatre performances of Arthur Miller, I think of this scene from Soapdish....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hibi said:

I saw Dave Karger last wknd. He's still in play. LOL

Okay, that's interesting. I guess he's still doing daytime Saturdays? Which has been his spot for a while, I think. I pretty much only ever watch TCM during primetime, and I know he's made pretty much zero appearances there in 2020 and for a while before that. In fact, Eddie Mueller seems to have completely replaced him in that rotation.

21 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, that's interesting. I guess he's still doing daytime Saturdays? Which has been his spot for a while, I think. I pretty much only ever watch TCM during primetime, and I know he's made pretty much zero appearances there in 2020 and for a while before that. In fact, Eddie Mueller seems to have completely replaced him in that rotation.

One can't tell if a host is "still in play" unless they know the date that a appearance was recorded.       I.e. what was shown might have been recorded before a host went on a sabbatical (assuming they did).

All I know is what we all know;  Karger is on a lot less.  

PS:   I believe Karger was associated with musicals more so than the other host.     If noir man Eddie starts hosting musicals,  to me that would say a lot! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, speedracer5 said:

Really? You made a new profile just to come online and criticize Alicia's appearance?

Nice.

Actually no. That wasn't at all my intention. I think it's sad that she must have felt the pressure to have it done, when Eddie Mullen's wrinkles are not a big deal (they add to the noir look-- "craggy" is the term,  I believe)and Ben Mankiewicz has a few. There is nothing wrong with wrinkles. Everyone gets them. It's the pressure to obliterate them, especially in what seems to be younger and younger women, that  I take issue with.  If you doubt she has had something done, look at older footage of her lovely expressive face, and look at her now. Her eyebrows do not move. At all. I didn't mean to put _her_ down, which is why I said she had succumbed to the pressure. I don't think it's fair that she felt the need to do that.  If I'm wrong,  and it was something she just wanted to do, I take it back. But I absolutely see a trend towards younger and younger women getting botox and fillers, and it makes me sad.

Got busy and didn't realize people were piling on and missing my point. 

• Thanks 1

MaybeI like both Dave and Alicia. Sure, they’ll never replace Robert! But Robert wouldn’t have wanted to stop TCM and it’s programming just because he died. The only regular host I haven’t exactly warmed up to is Eddie. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but there’s something about the delivery that I just don’t like. There’s a smugness there that I used to find off-putting about Ben. Except Ben has grown on me over the last few years! Maybe it will be the same with Eddie someday!

• 10 months later...

I'm confused.  Ben says he wishes he could smile on camera the way Dave Karger does.  But to me it's the opposite -- Mankiewicz is usually smiling -- or, should I say, smirking, and Karger always looks grim and uncomfortable in front of the camera.

In my opinion the two most pleasant and at-ease hosts are Eddie Muller and Alicia Malone .  Love them.

• Like 1

still not a fan of Alicia Malone. she is just not someone who does on camera well, to my view anyhow. i know everyone's tastes are far different sometimes. but,, i have never gotten used to her on camera. she seems very unfamiliar with many movies she gets to introduce and less comfortable reading the scripts, as if someone else wrote and researched them . It has been a long time already and she should have developed a more polished presentation and from a home environment, even easier. there are others to deal with, not clear how the heck they do it during this pandemic,so the sets don't bother me.

i do like Dave and Ben however. Ben is the best in my view, He has a huge family influence and that they may have been at it long enough for it to have become a genome of their own.

time will tell with all of them.  not everyone is suited to do this sort of stuff, movie presentation that is. Eddie Muller, is a different kettle of fish. it has been his life's work. and it shows he is great, polished and extremely knowledgeable. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone who likes TCM-related podcasts might enjoy the Feb. 22nd episode of Leonard Maltin’s Maltin on Movies podcast where Leonard and his daughter Jessie interview Dave Karger:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/dave-karger/id935760435?i=1000510145725

Lots of nice information on Dave’s biography and some great stories from his time working in the entertainment industry.

This thread started two years ago. I'm surprised it has popped up again. Anyway, I like Alicia Malone, but I'm a sucker for women with British (or Australian) accents.  I think all the presenters do a fine job for the most part .  Of course, we all miss Robert Osborne as he was the face of TCM for so long.