Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rose McGowan?!? Marilyn Manson's ex- girlfriend

Chimerical

What is happening here? I can't believe a classy outfit like TCM is sinking to this level. She is on T.V. ! (The WB!!!) She was in the hideous movie Grindhouse? She grew up on a commune? What qualifications does she have to make her a film expert????? Poor Robert! SHe was also engaged to the shock rocker Marilyn Manson. Maybe the people at TCM thought she had something to do with Marilyn Monroe! I will be skipping the essentials this year!

I am not sure what being in a bad movie or growing up on a commune has to do with hosting The Essentials.

She grew up on the same commune in France that the Phoenix siblings did.

Rob Reiner, Sidney Pollack and Peter Bogdanovich all made some bad films. Carrie Fisher starred in some bad movies (and played script doctor on a few in an effort to keep them from being dogs) and Molly Haskell certainly reviewed some bad movies.

As for dating Marilyn Manson, haven't we all dated someone that we later regretted?

As for being on the WB, again I don't see the big travesty. It's a small television network now called the CW. She was part of the cast of Charmed and also acts in movies.

As for qualifications, it's The Essentials. In less than eight minutes, you have to spar with Robert O about whether the movie is qualified to be an Essential. It's not Private Screenings nor has she been named permanent Guest Host.

She showed some real grace and chemistry with Robert O on the evening she was Guest Programmer and acquitted herself quite nicely. Her film picks that evening while not very maverick, they were well-chosen and she was able to talk about each choice very well.

She wouldn't be sitting across from Robert O unless he believed she was up to the task and he believed she could bring something to the show.

At least give her a chance before you write her off completely.

She might surprise you.

"Rose McGowan?!? Marilyn Manson's ex- girlfriend [?}" - Chimerical

Wow. If that is true, I think it enhances her status even a bit more. Shock-Rocker Marilyn Manson is no intellectual slouch himself.

If you want to check out her gravitas in regard to Classic film, I suggest you view the intros/outros for the four films she selected as a Guest Programmer this past November. Use the "video" link in the banner above and search using the terms "Movie Intro". All of the Guest Programmer Intros are there to be seen online. Just scroll through the list and you will see her clips for selected films - Night Of The Hunter, Out Of The Past, A Place In The Sun and That Touch Of Mink.

Kyle (remembering Clint Eastwood started on TV and was in a gawdawful musical film) In Hollywood

I love Rose McGowan! I think she is a dman good actress! So who cars about her personal life! I'm very happy with the fact she is going to be on the Essential's! She is intelligent, funny & very open and honest! It all comes down for a "passion" & love of film! I would love to host a night of films myself! I'm a huge film fan! I took some film classes, I do several film fests every year & see 2-3 movies per week in theater! Just because I don't have a degree in film doesn't make me any less of an expert than Rose!

Why be so negativie?

Rose offers a new perspective on films!!

& I loved Rose's choice of films she discussed: " Night Of The Hunter, "Out Of The Past", "A Place In The Sun" and "That Touch Of Mink"..

She was smart about her film choices, and it was fun to hear why she selected each film!

I wish Robert just had givin her more time than less than 5 minutes before each film! You could tell Rose had more to say than time would allow!

I would also love to see Harvey Fierstein back as well!

Becuase of Rose I discoverd a Robert Mitchum film I haven't seen before (& I love Robert Mitchum) which was "Out of the Past"! After I watched the film I went online and purchased a copy!

Rose McGowan Filmography:

2008 Black Oasis

2007 Death Proof

2007 Grindhouse

2007 Planet Terror

2006 The Black Dahlia

2005 Elvis (TV)

2002 Charmed: Season 05

2001 Roads to Riches

2001 Monkeybone

2001 Charmed: A Knight to Remember

2001 The Killing Yard

2000 Ready to Rumble

2000 The Last Stop

1999 Jawbreaker

1998 Charmed [TV Series]

1998 Southie

1998 Phantoms

1997 Lewis & Clark & George

1997 Going All the Way

1997 Devil in the Flesh

1997 Nowhere

1996 Kiss and Tell

1996 Scream

1996 Bio-Dome

1995 The Doom Generation

1992 Encino Man

According to Variety, McGowan has signed on to play B-movie staple Susan Cabot in the upcoming film "Black Oasis".

As kids, film's were introducted by Puppets, Fake Vampires, Cartoons and other Odd Entities. It's all about the films. not the host (but I'd be lost without Mr. Osborne's knowledge) I think TCM is still trying to reach a younger audience. So don't knock the Co-Host, knock the film choices. Some hated Rob Zombie and now most miss him on "The TCM Underground".

vallo

I love Rose McGowan! I think she is a dman good actress! So, who cares about her personal life! I'm very happy with the fact she is going to be on the Essential's! She is intelligent, funny & very open and honest! It all comes down for a "passion" & love of film! I would love to host a night of films myself! I'm a huge film fan! I took some film classes, I do several film fests every year & see 2-3 movies per week in theater! Just because I don't have a degree in film doesn't make me any less of an expert than Rose!

Why be so negativie?

Rose offers a new perspective on films!!

& I loved Rose's choice of films she discussed: " Night Of The Hunter, "Out Of The Past", "A Place In The Sun" and "That Touch Of Mink".

She was smart about her film choices, and it was fun to hear why she selected each film!

I wish Robert just had givin her more time than less than 5 minutes before each film! You could tell Rose had more to say than time would allow!

I would also love to see Harvey Fierstein back as well!

Becuase of Rose I discoverd a Robert Mitchum film I haven't seen before (& I love Robert Mitchum) which was "Out of the Past"! After I watched the film I went online and purchased a copy!

Rose McGowan Filmography:

2008 Black Oasis

2007 Death Proof

2007 Grindhouse

2007 Planet Terror

2006 The Black Dahlia

2005 Elvis (TV)

2002 Charmed: Season 05

2001 Roads to Riches

2001 Monkeybone

2001 Charmed: A Knight to Remember

2001 The Killing Yard

2000 Ready to Rumble

2000 The Last Stop

1999 Jawbreaker

1998 Charmed TV Series

1998 Southie

1998 Phantoms

1997 Lewis & Clark & George

1997 Going All the Way

1997 Devil in the Flesh

1997 Nowhere

1996 Kiss and Tell

1996 Scream

1996 Bio-Dome

1995 The Doom Generation

1992 Encino Man

According to Variety, McGowan has signed on to play B-movie staple Susan Cabot in the upcoming film "Black Oasis".

Message was edited by: CelluloidKid

Love the network, been watching forever. When I saw this announcement I flipped, and decided to post for the first time. From Sidney Pollack and Rob Reiner, how far the mighty have fallen. This used to be a place that you could get real insight from someone whose body of work you respect, whether you like it personally or not. I'm sure she will be quiet pleasant but you know that the smart folks at TCM will largely be pulling the strings. I suppose if it is a good movie I will watch but I just think this is just a shallow attempt to get younger viewers......and let's face it, her Charmed days are long over.

I know the value of todays films take quite a beating around here, but as far as 90's-00's movies go, I've seen a lot worse than "Jawbreaker". So, I'm alright with Rose.

Now of course , if I had my druthers, TCM's Essentials hosts would be Marlon, Humphrey, Bette, Lana and so on, but from what I understand, it's a logistical nightmare.

Chitownfilmfan wrote:

> but I just think this is just a shallow attempt to get younger viewers

You don't think it's a bad thing to try to get younger people interested in classic movies, do you?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings