Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who should get the Honorary Oscar this year?

Thomas1983

I would hope for the 80th Academy Awards that they would do something special and give one of the deserving classic actors still with us an award. And it should be someone that has never gotten one before. There are so few classic actors left, the academy had their chance to honor Glenn Ford and blew it, lets hope they don't screw up this year.

Here's my top 5 stars that deserve the honor:

1. Doris Day (I think she'd make it a very special event, if they could get her to show up)

2. Lauren Bacall

3. Leslie Caron

4. Richard Widmark

5. Tony Curtis

How about some other top 5 lists for whether you all agree or who you think deserves it?

Hi Cinemaven, DORIS DAY! The Grammy`s knew what the Academy has forgotton. Doris was a great singer, and she will be honored with their lifetime achievemnet award on February 9. Doris was one of the few stars who could do it all, act, sing, and dance.

I strongly believe that it is Jean Simmons who is most deserving of an honorary oscar this year. She was honored with two Academy Award nominations, but should have had nominations for her performances in a number of other motion pictures, including "Home Before Dark," "Elmer Gantry," "All the Way Home," and "Young Bess." Her first nomination was as best supporting actress for "Hamlet." And she was nominated for best actress for "The Happy Ending."

Jean Simmons was named Best Actress in 1953 by the National Board of Review for her performances in "Young Bess, "The Robe," and "The Actress." The New York Film Critics named Jean Simmons a runner-up for best dramatic actress four times for "Young Bess" and "The Actress" in 1953 and also for "Home Before Dark," "Elmer Gantry" and "The Happy Ending." In addition for the two Golden Globes she won for "Guys and Dolls" and for "Most Versatile Actress," Jean Simmons received another comedy/musical nomination for "This Could Be the Night" and additional dramatic actress Golden Globe nominations for "Home Before Dark," "Elmer Gantry," and "The Happy Ending." She was awarded an Emmy for best supporting actress in a mini-series for her performance in "The Thorn Birds."

Jean Simmons has given many other memorable performances in films such as "Great Expectations," "Black Narcissus," "Uncle Silas," "So Long at the Fair," "Trio," 'The Clouded Yellow," "Angel Face," "Hilda Crane," "Until They Sail," "The Big Country," "Spartacus," "The Grass Is Greener," and "Life at the Top." Her many memorable performances should be recognized with an honorary Academy Award.

In his book "Alternative Oscars" for the 1960 best actress author Danny Perry selected Jean Simmons as most deserving that year for her performance in "Elmer Gantry." And in their book "Hollywood at Your Feet" authors Stacy Endres and Robert Cushman wrote "Jean Simmons has long been considered one of the best actresses in the history of the medium. Delicately beautiful, sensitive, and posessed of a meltifluous speaking voice, she brought rare depth and subtlety to her characterizations."

I certainly hope that this year the Academy recognizes Jean Simmons with an honorary Academy Award to correct the oversights for the additional nominations she deserved and to honor her many outstanding performances.

If Jean Simmons is not honored this year, then I suggest three time Best Actress nominee Eleanor Parker.

Janus

Great suggestions for who said Maureen O'Hara and Jean Simmons; I completely forgot about them. Still hoping for Doris Day for this year anyways. Leslie Caron really deserves one too but seeing as she seems to be younger among the suggestions, it seems a greater priority to recognize the older ones. Day, O'Hara & Simmons are in their 80s I think, Widmark is in his 90s. Here's hoping the academy does not waste any more time delaying these people that have a right to an Oscar.

Jean Simmons is an excellent excellent choice. Oh, my heartfelt wish is for Doris Day. But Jean has been consistently and radiantly under the radar for years.

The quote from the "Hollywood At Your Feet": "Jean Simmons has long been considered one of the best actresses in the history of the medium. Delicately beautiful, sensitive, and posessed of a mellifluous speaking voice, she brought rare depth and subtlety to her characterizations," truly does say it all. I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten all about her until I was reminded at last Sunday's NYC Otto Preminger Film Fest (showing "Fallen Angel" and "Angel Face.")

What an excellent choice...but seems the Academy is driven by popularity. They're not very good historians.After the ceremony (if it's aired) we shall find out...and boy let the discussion begin.

I wonder if receiving a juvenile Oscar back in the day disqualifies the likes of Shirley Temple and Deanna Durbin today ? Hmmm ...

I certainly agree with Jean Simmons. I haven't seen her in all those movies, but where I have I loved her. She was great even in "Guys And Dolls" and stunning (without a word) in "Black Narcissus" ...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings