Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is This Actually True?

Padiwan2

- The lyrics to the famed title song are only heard at the very end, are sung by a large choral group, and are different than the familiar lyrics heard in the popular-song record releases of the time.

If this person's source is correct, then what's the name of the choir and the what are the lyrics to THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY?

Padiwan2 -

This link is for the webpage/entry for The High And The Mighty.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=77963

The only info on the music is that the score was composed by Dimitri Tiomkin and that the "song" was composed by Tiomkin and lyricist Ned Washington. But there is no other information about the specific song. And the below may help explain why.

From the AFI notes section at the above link -

"Dimitri Tiomkin's The High and the Mighty theme song, which was whistled by Wayne in the film, contained lyrics arranged for chorus by Ned Washington, which were cut prior to the film's initial showings, according to a December 1954 Hollywood Reporter news item. However, as described by a December 1954 Los Angeles Mirror-News article, the sequence containing the lyrics was restored to the film after the song achieved "Hit Parade" popularity through recordings and sheet music. The song's restoration to the film made it eligible for an Academy Award nomination. Although the song lost to Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn's "Three Coins in the Fountain" from the film of the same title, Tiomkin won an Academy Award for Best Scoring of a Dramatic/Comedy film for The High and the Mighty.

A December 1958 Hollywood Reporter news item reported that Leon Navara sued Tiomkin, Washington, Warner Bros., Witmark Music and Wayne-Fellows Productions for one million dollars each, claiming that The High and the Mighty theme song was a plagiarism of one of his tunes. According to a January 1959 Newsweek article, much of Navara's case rested on the placement and use of a B flat, which occurred in both the film's theme and Navara's 1949 work, "Enchanted Cello." Witnesses for the defense were composers Deems Taylor and Sigmund Spaeth. After fifteen days of arguments and eight of jury deliberation, the New York Supreme Court ruled in favor of Tiomkin. The haunting tune became an often played, and often parodied, Hollywood film theme that developed into its own entity, symbolizing the type of strong, but troubled character played by Wayne."

I would bet the choir assembled to sing the film's song was a pick-up group of session singers. I would doubt that it was a group like the Norman Luboff Choir or The Ray Coniff Singers. But I could be wrong. A Google search on "choir" and the title may yield an definitive answer.

And if you are still looking for the lyrics, I would also do a Google Search using the title and the term "lyrics" or using "Ned Washington".

Kyle In Hollywood

My mother has the piano sheet music to it from that time and it also includes lyrics. There were times when movie themes had lyrics that weren't always included in the movie.

More often a great deal of movie songs had a kind of lyric intro that preceded what would be the famous chorus. Among the most notable "White Christmas" and "Over The Rainbow,"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings