Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More imagination in programming

chillyfilly

Can we see some different films , please? I have been looking for some of my favorites as well as some obscure films which are never offered. For example, I would love to see "Margie" with Jeanne Crain. Every time I search for Jeanne Crain, TCM is offering "Hot Rods From Hell" or "The Joker Is Wild." TCM has offered these two mediocre films numerous times, but never any of her better comedies such as "Margie."

I would also love to see some of David Lean's smaller films such as "Hobson's Choice." This great comedy is also never offered. Are there any films you would love to see that are never offered? If so, what are they?

Message was edited by: chillyfilly

Chilly,

Part of the problem with Jeannie Crain films such as Margie is they were produced by 20th Century Fox. Because Fox has its own classic movie channel, FMC, it is less likely to rent/lease its films to TCM.

I think we have seen some of David Lean's smaller films in the last year or so. There was a tribute to Lean at some point if I recall correctly.

TCM does not own the Turner LIbrary. When Ted Turner merged with Time Warner in the 1990s, the film library he owned was part of that deal. The Turner library consisted of all RKO films, all pre-1949 Warner Bros films and all pre-1986 MGM films.

When the merge occurred with Time-Warner, the Turner Library came under the care of Warner Bros. Home Video.

TCM must rent/lease all the films that air on TCM. Some studios are more inclined to work with TCM on rental/lease deals than others.

FMC has been around for a few years, but it's not carried on as many cable systems as TCM. I do know that, at least here in the East, Time-Warner Cable carries it on their digital tier. Both DirecTV and Dish Network carry it too.

FMC certainly doesn't come close to the quality of programming that TCM has. The schedule is skewed towards newer films in the most popular viewing hours with classics mostly in the very late night or morning slots. While Fox has a great library of older films, only a rather small number of them get shown on FMC. It seems like they just keep repeating the same 100 or so over and over again without adding more to the mix. That said, they are shown commerical free and many can't be found elsewhere.

I recently said in another post that it seems that FMC doesn't seem to know what direction it wants to go. It's interesting that when Fox wanted showings of the restored early John Ford films, to promote the DVD release, they made a deal with TCM instead of running them on there own channel. I guess that even Fox knows where people go for classics. I'd love to see TCM make a deal for more oldies from Fox.

Message was edited by: markfp2

You're correct. I do see more of them scheduled on both HBO & Cinemax. I suspect, however, that when Fox is trying to make a multi-million dollar deal on a package of new films, they throw in a few classics to "sweeten the pot". It gives the channels something to run at the odd hours, when it's desired audience isn't watching, without spending a lot of money.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings