Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

January 15 schedule changes

Fedya

I downloaded the monthly schedule back in October, and only just noticed that several films have been changed on the morning of the 15th:

Journey for Margaret

The Canterville Ghost and

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes have all been removed from the schedule, while

Lost Angel has been moved.

The replacements are a third showing of the Val Lewton documentary, the "Private Screenings" with the child stars, and Mademoiselle Fifi (I suppose you can never have too much Simone Simon!)

Anybody know the reason for the changes? Our Vines Have Tender Grapes is MGM (Margaret O'Brien's studio), and it's aired a number of times, so TCM shouldn't have had any rights issues with it. I believe the other two have aired repeatedly, too.

I don't know for sure, but it could still be a rights issue. When TCM became part of Time-Warner, the Turner library went under the control of Warner Bros. Recently I've noticed that many of the films now carry a Warner Bros.Television logo at the end. The programmer has said several times that TCM no longer has unlimited access to the former Turner Library so it's possible that WB is leasing some of the titles out to other channels. I've noticed more older titles turning up on some of the premium channels like HBO and Encore. That might also be one of the reasons that TCM is leasing more films from others studios (no complaint from me on that).

I don't think there are any rights issues. They showed Journey for Margaret and The Canterville Ghost last September. The latter was ruined by a rainstorm at my house. :-( Our Vines Have Tender Grapes was shown in the Fall of 2006, I believe. Still, I was really looking forward to all of them (really in the mood for a good Grapes cry-fest!), but am thrilled that Three Wise Fools wasn't cut, since it's been nearly two years since it was last shown. Thanks, TCM! Still waiting for Big City, though. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

I think they wanted to showcase more Val Lewton films to coincide with the DVD release, and ended up with an eighteen hour marathon. Happy for Lewton fans? Of course! But disappointed that it fell on O'Brien's birthday, which was missed for the last two years. Glad they gave her a full day in September.

Oddly, I received my email reminders for all of them last Tuesday, but have known since before the last Challenge that they had been dropped.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings