Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is my favourite, alltime movie -I don't know why...

billyspencer2000

I haven't seen it since it came out in theaters but I liked it. The way one seemingly slow-learning and insignificant man can so profoundly effect the lives of other people. It seemed almost ridiculous at times how he naively stumbled into otherwise complicated and unsolvable situations, only to demonstrate how easily they can be resolved ...

I must be the only one who HATED this movie. I know that most of you really love it, but I don't. I just don't see the point. It's just some idiot (nothing against mentally disabled people, but he's an idiot) sitting there telling his stupid story. However, NOTHING HAPPENS! He talks about all of these things that happened to him, but it doesn't matter. Would he be any different if these things didn't happen to him? No. Does any of it affect the plot of the movie? No. Does it matter that he happened to be in certain places at certain times? No, not unless you count that they got to show off the technology to splice him in with historical footage. Also, how exactly is it believable? He walked across the entire country. Right... He invented the smiley face. Right... He did a bunch of other stupid stuff that I have forced out of my mind because I HATE THIS MOVIE. Right... I just don't buy it. I can't. I wont. Neither should you. Nothing even happens until the very end of the movie. "But," you say, "the ending wont mean anything if you didn't see the rest of the movie. That's what the movie's about." No. It's not. The movie's about nothing. The end is pointless, as is the rest of the movie. It's not funny. It's not magical. It's not believable. It's not realistic. IT'S NOT GOOD!

How "Forrest Gump" won Best Picture over such other nominees that year like "Pulp Fiction" or "Four Weddings and a Funeral" is beyond me!!

I liked the movie very much when I first saw it. What made it fun was the "surprise" of so many of the sequences and the clever mix of modern film with old news film. This was the first movie where I had seen this done so well.

But I find that when I try to watch the film again, the "surprise" isn't there and it's not quite as much fun to watch.

Some films are like that (for me), such as "Vertigo".

"Toeing the centreline like a motherf***er while Rome burns. Can I get an "amen"?" - Walter Chaw

"Forrest Gump has the elements of an emotionally gripping story. Yet it feels less like a romance than like a coffee-table book celebrating the magic of special effects." - Stephen Holden

"It was competently made but overlong and occasionally infuriating." - Mark R. Leeper

"It was almost like it was written by a committee and everybody got to write 10 minutes of the story." - Steve Rhodes

"Judging by the the movie's enduring popularity, the message that stupidity is redemption is clearly what a lot of Americans want to hear." - Jonathan Rosenbaum

"The worst thing is the film goes for brilliance when it really isn't." - Ted Prigge

"The press kit says Gump brings a rare clarity to what we went through in the '50s, '60s and '70s. But I only saw a pitiful stooge taking the pie of life in the face, thoughtfully licking his fingers." - Marc Vincenti

"As this mawkish conservative movie ultimately goes to prove: ignorance is bliss." - Time Out

"Gets my vote for the most offensive, morally repugnant film ever made" - Ken Hanke

"A vile, irresponsible film whose massive success says some very frightening things about America." - Jeffrey M. Anderson

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings