Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MATING CALL (1928)

Such an intriguing plotline! Who could miss this one? And a chance to see why so many of you guys have a crush on French munchkin Renee Adoree! Also enjoyed the Arbuckle short MY STARS last week-end and I'll always wonder whose picture was in the envelope she didn't open- Louis Wolheim, I'll bet and no-one could compete with that cutie!

Kate,

As you haven't seen this one, you are in for a real treat! The restoration by Flicker-Alley Company is superb, and it boasts a great Robert Israel score as well! While A DVD release has been pending for the past three years, that still hasn't come to pass? Maybe sometime in 2008?

A rare Paramount Pictures Silent, this is an underrated film, from famed director James Cruze, with 3 Big name Stars!

Thomas Meighan is terrific as the jilted Sweetheart, returning home from Military service. Evelyn Brent is Sexy as all get out, in the role of the Village Vixen! And Renee Adoree, is just so Sweet and Adorable as a Russian Immigrant girl, you can't help but love her!

You will really enjoy this movie! I'll be pretty anxious to hear your comments once you have seen it!

Jorge,

Sorry to change the subject, but there have been a few people asking about the opening theme music to Silent Sunday Nights and I'm wondering if it could be Argentine composer and bandoneon(?) player Astor Piazzolla? If anyone would know, it would be you, I figure...

This was good. Not exactly what I anticipated but interesting work from James Cruze ...

The cast was good ... evil evil Evelyn Brent pretty much stole the movie which tells you what I thought of the final half after she went away. There are some strange things happening in this one. But I loved Evelyn's cosmopolitanism; a very contemporary turn; her stand-up and be counted acting style is certainly quite the contrast to Ren?e Ador?e who seems very much a Gish type ...

This is the first silent I've seen from Cruze is a director. "The Covered Wagon" and "Old Ironsides" are two I've been wanting to see ...I've seen "The Great Gabbo" and some talkies he did ...

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know where to get a copy of this movie. would gladly pay for it. i agree it's a bit wierd, but the cast is awesome. i first saw this movie on tcm over a year ago and missed recording it both times. if anyone recorded it i might have something to trade as well. thanks

nanohiccup,

Yes, I have a very good copy on DVD-R of this movie! I recorded it both in November of 2004 when it was first shown, and a couple weeks ago again!

In addition, I have somewhere in the area of another 600 more Silent features! So let me know what else that you are looking for?

>>Jorge,

>>Sorry to change the subject, but there have been a few people asking about the opening theme >>music to Silent Sunday Nights and I'm wondering if it could be Argentine composer and >>bandoneon(?) player Astor Piazzolla? If anyone would know, it would be you, I figure..

Cathy:

Sorry, for not answering before.

No, that's not Piazzolla. I have the feeling that the melody was specifically written for the introduction. Astor Piazzolla is a musician whom I don't exactly like, because of he was extremely arrogant in his lifetime stating stupid arguments and dismissing the contributions of many of his contemporary colleagues.

Still, the sound of Piazzolla's bandoneon was always a bit harsh, without the quality of other performers whom I prefer.

Jorge, Kate, Ed, Everybody,

Someone once posted who the Composer of the Silent Sunday Nights theme was on Harold Lloyd.Com. Probably my long lost friend Jack Theakston, who I am so envious of!

You see He has seen the new restoration of THE BIG PARADE at live screenings twice! Back in 2005, he attended a live showings with Robert Israel conducting his Orchestra, while performing the original 1925 Axt-Mendoza score to the picture! Later in 2005, He saw the film again this time with Israel performing the same Axt-Mendoza score on a Wurlitzer Theater Organ!

I checked on the HL forum the other night. Frustratingly, I could not find the post concerning the Composer of the Silent Sunday Nights theme? It may still be there though? You are welcome to try and locate it yourselves.

Aaron,

Hey, supposedly there was a little more of that Skinny-Dipping sequence in THE MATING CALL, than what has survived? At least from what I understand? Hmmm.

Renee is great in THE BLACKBIRD, as "Fifi Lorraine, The Puppet Queen!" The TCM print with Robert Israel score, is in better condition than almost any other surviving Lon Chaney Silent. However, as noted, it does have Spanish translations on the English Title-cards. So I really want to see TCM here in the States run this picture soon! Put in a request!

Incidentally, did I ever send you a copy of TIDE OF THE EMPIRE? Also did you get the colorized Photo's I sent you over the weekend? In addition, you wouldn't happen to have a copy of THE MICHIGAN KID (1928), with Renee and Conrad Nagle do you? I haven't see that one yet.

Another film I am looking for is HER BIG NIGHT (1926), with Laura La Plante, and Reginald Denny. Any idea where I might find a copy?

lzcutter,

Thanks much for this info, but who is Glen Daum? Has He written any actual Silent film scores? Do you know?

By the way, I responded to your "PM" about WINGS last night, but could find no evidence to indicate that the response actually reached you? Did you receive it?

Jeffrey,

Unfortunately, I don't have any info on Glen Daum. Perhaps if you google him you might be able to find out more info?

I got your PM and will be in touch with you via email.

wow what an odd film.... I always like Thomas Meighan and he's very good in this one, taking on the **** and Evelyn Brent (who was terrific).... Renee Adoree keeps going up in my estimation based on the last few films I've seen her in.....

Ed,

The story of the THE MATING CALL, though produced in 1928, seems to take place, only a year or two after World War 1 ended. In any event, the early part of the decade sometime.

I've pretty much loved every film I have seen Renee Adoree in, although She was only given a distant 3rd Banana role in King Vidor's LA BOHEME (1926), Starring Lillian Gish, and John Gilbert. This film needs restoration, it probably could be made to look as good as THE MATING CALL, but the transfer TCM ran a few years ago of LA BOHEME was very soft, processed at the wrong speed, and several of the titles cards just whisked right on by!

A film of Renee's I would relish to see TCM dig out of Mothballs, is AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES, which also features yet another MGM Sweetheart Eleanor Boardman. Then of course there is still THE COSSACKS, so TCM has a few more of her movies left to chose from.

Renee is the one LB Mayer always referred to as "that French peasant." She was very good in THE MATING CALL and she was just superb in THE BIG PARADE with John Gilbert....