Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Tis the Season!

classicsfan1119

I have been thinking about all of my very favorite Christmas movies and programs. I have either taped or purchased most of them so that I can watch them when I have time without missing them around Christmas every year. Here's my list (and I probably have forgotten some):

White Christmas

Miracle on 34th. Street

It's a Wonderful Life

A Christmas Story (with Peter Billingsley)..Love it!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the Animated version)

A Christmas Carol (1938)

A Charley Brown Christmas

Home Alone (1990)

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (with Burl Ives)

Some of these are movies, and some are TV specials. What are your favorites?

Oh, this is a fun topic classics! Thanks for starting it! My all time holiday favorites are...

White Christmas

Miracle on 34th. Street

It's a Wonderful Life

A Christmas Carol (1938)

Scrooge (1970)

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (with Burl Ives)

A Christmas Story (1983)

Christmas in Connecticut

Holiday Inn

~~~~~:)~~~~~~~>>>> ~*~ Happy Holidays Everyone! ~*~ <<<<~~~~~~~:)~~~~~

What about "Babes in Toyland" (or March of the Wooden Soldiers, whichever you prefer)with Laurel and Hardy? or how about "The Bishop's Wife"?

Both very good in my opinion.

Classicsfan I agree with you about "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (and who wouldn't), I don't think it would have worked without Karloff.

Have a great day all!!

I happen to like just about all the versions of "A Christmas Carol" with the 1938 film my very favorite.

The 1951 version is also superior with Alistair Simm an excellent Scrooge. The musical "Scrooge" with Albert Finney is also entertaining in color and the song "Thank You Very Much".

Not to forget George C. Scott as the miser in a well made TV version.

All a little different with the same outcome and all enjoyable for the holiday season.

Mongo

All my favorites have already been listed, so I'll just list my very, very best ... those, that if I don't get to see them during the Holiday period, I get grumpy;-)

Miracle on 34th Street (big surprise, right?)

It's a Wonderful Life

Holiday Inn

Almost any version of Scrooge

Additionally, there are a lot of the 30 minute films that are traditions in our household (Rudolph et al).

I'm planning to introduce the kids to Meet Me in St. Louis this season too. And, a guilty pleasure for me is Scrooged with Bill Murray.

Oh, I totally forgot about "Scrooged" with Bill Murray! It's a guilty pleasure of mine too path! And back to "Scrooge" with Albert Finney, I like the song "Thank You Very Much" also mongo. My favorite is the one he sings about his long lost love, "You.....You" I think it's called. I always get misty when he sings that one.

My favorites are

Holiday Inn (I love the little kids singing Happy Holidays)

White Christmas

Miracle on 34th Street

Holiday Affair

Christmas Story

Penny Serenade (not centered completely around Christmas but the Christmas part of the story will break your heart)

Scrooge

Mr. Magoo as Scrooge

Christmas in Connecticut

The Bishop's Wife

I'm sure I've forgotten some but these are some I love

This is my first time posting on this site. My roommates always tease me for having TCM on all the time. I love these classics and oldies. For me, if its made before 1950 I usually seem to think its better!

Yet, I'm so sad that there are so few Christmas shows on TCM this holiday season. I woke up at 6:30am (today, Sunday) to start my schoolwork so I could take a break at 10:00am to watch "Holiday Inn"!

Does anyone know of any station showing "White Christmas" this season... it is my most favorite Christmas show, ever!

I know I can tape these and watch them anytime I want, but there is something to watching them when shown on TV that makes it part of the holiday season!

Oh, I love "Meet Me in St.Louis" too! It's my mother's favorite! And I used to watch "Babes in Toyland" every year with my grandfather, who is now passed away... kind of nastalgic. And any Rankin Bass movie is good!

Welcome, Linsary! Now that you've found this site, go back to TCM's Homepage and get yourself signed up to have their monthly schedules delivered to your e-mail Inbox. It's a great way to know ahead what is going to be on, and when, and each selection comes with a good description.

I'm sure that "White Christmas" will be on somewhere in the next few weeks. I decided a few years back to stop taking chances on missing my favorites so I bought this one on VHS. It might even be available on DVD now. Good luck finding it, and Happy Holidays!

Along with all the the movies listed already, one of my favorites is Remember the Night with Stanwyck and MacMurry. Another favorite for me and my wife is The Ref with Leary and Spacey. I know you can't watch it with your small kids but it's a fun movie.

My favorite animated version of Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL was produced for ABC-TV in the early 1970s by Chuck Jones and Richard Williams. Based on original Victorian illustrations for the Dickens book, and featuring the voices of Alastair Sim as Ebenezer Scrooge and Michael Hordern as Marley's Ghost (both repeating ther roles from the 1951 British film SCROOGE), it's lovingly crafted from beginning to end, and one of the few versions of ACC that is actually SCARY, never forgetting its origins as a ghost story.

The lighting, camerawork, and classical animation are stunning. Seeing it anew, it's hard to believe it was made before computers took over everything! My only quibble is that it's only 30 minutes long, but it incorporates more detail from Dickens' book than versions three or four times as long.

I was in my early teens when I first saw it, but its images are still burned on the back of my skull, especially the great opening shot that swoops over the rooftops and down the streets of London, ending in Scrooge's counting house. It was released theatrically in 1972, and won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject the following year, but hasn't been on TV since, and one can only guess why.

I finally got it on video from Columbia House last year, but you can also get it at Amazon.com for only $9.99. At any price, it's a bargain, and should not be missed!

I have never seen or even heard about the version you are referring to coffeedan; but from your description it sounds wonderful. What really caught my attention is that it based on the original Victorian illustrations of the Dickens' book! I'm a huge fan of Dickens (I've read "David Copperfield" MANY times) and I also love books with the original illustrations--I own a copy of "Alice in Wonderland" that is dated 1899 (the artwork is fabulous!). You also mention that this version is actually scary....another plus, because like you said it is a ghost story.

Thanks coffeedan for posting about this version! I'm going to swing on over to Amazon right now and buy a copy (hopefully they have one in stock)!!

Okay, I wasn't sure if I should put this one in the "guilty pleasures" thread or in this one; but it IS a Christmas movie so I'll go ahead and mention it here. The movie I'm referring to is "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" (1989). The humor in this movie is right up my alley. A few of my favorite parts are when Clark lights up the house with 25,000 Christmas lights that use enough juice to black out the whole neighborhood; Aunt Ellen's gift of wrapping up her cat and Jello molds as presents; Clark's wild ride on the saucer sled; the dog and squirrel chase and of course when Randy Quaid and family come to stay (Cousin Eddie:"You surprised to see us, Clark?" Clark: "Oh, Eddie...I couldn't be any more surprised if I woke up in the morning with my head sewn to the carpet.")! And one of the best parts is when the sewer blows and the family stands on the front porch and join in the Pledge of Allegiance and The Star Spangled Banner. One of my favorite quotes from the movie is when Clark (Chevy Chase) goes off about his boss:

"Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-****, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is! Hallelujah! Holy ****! Where's the Tylenol?"

I wasn't that wild about the other "Vacation" movies; but in my opinion Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid really are really great together in this movie.

Stella no matter what anyone says about "Christmas Vacation" the movie is a hoot! And believe me most movie fans get a big kick out of it no matter what they say about this wacky delightful family which is a yuletide

treasure of laughs.

Mongo

I had a surprise today which I would like to share with members.

It was an email of a delightful animated Christmas card with Santa, 8 reindeer and Ruldolf dancing and playing instruments to the tune "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"

While on the rooftop.

The surprise was that the card came from Leo Gorcey Jr.

son of the Dead End Kid Leo Gorcey who was also a Bowery Boy and Eastside Kid.

I bought Leo's book titled "Me and the Dead End Kid" all about his life with his unstable alcoholic father and it is a very good read which includes redemption.

There are also some nice and rare pictures in the book.

For what its worth I just though I's share that with you.

Mongo

I've had some luck with celebrities getting about a foot from Bette Davis & Olivia de Havilland when they were promoting the movie "Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte".

The same with Katharine Hepburn when she was leaving her play through the stagedoor and passed by me (smiling and head shaking). Liza Minnelli at Nathan's in Coney Island where I got her autograph. Liz and Dick leaving a theater (her eyes are gorgeous).

Also Debra Winger who I sold merchandise to. She is a regular gal and down to earth. Very friendly.

Theres more.

Mongo

This is getting off the main topic but when I was thirteen I met Telly Savalas and his kids. In my early twenties I met Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver when they were in Cannon Beach during the shoot of Kindergarten cop.

Marlin Perkins! Wow - I grew up with him and Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom - that's cool! It always amazed me that he still got in there with some of the rough stuff at his age (though Jim would take the brunt of it). I recently saw a promo for Wild Kingdom - I guess it is coming back or it's been back and I'm just noticing it now.

Wow, Mongo...what a special e-card for you to receive! Thanks for sharing! While we've all sort of strayed from the topic, I'll also add that when I was a kid "Timberjack" premiered in my home town and I was fortunate enough to get the autographs of Vera Ralston, Adolphe Menjou, Hoggy Charmichael, and David Brian. Menjou, BTW, was totally in his cups and, well, "was called away", as they say.

I always got a kick out of Vera Ralston's name when she used Vera Hruba Ralston. Comic Orson Bean cracked me up when he pronounced the name. In any event I saw a film called "Jubilee Trail" with Miss Ralston which I liked.

Actually I like all the players you met and sadly all gone now including Vera. Hold on to those autographs.

Mongo

Archived