Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscar Predictons

Moviebuffer12

What are your predictions for this years academy awards.

Here are some of Mine:

Best Picture: Sweeney Todd: The Demons Barber of Fleet Street

Best Actor: Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd: The Demons Barber of Fleet Street

Best Original Song: Walk Hard, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Best Director: Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Best Supporting Actor: John Travolta, Hairspray

These aren't all of the awards, but these are my predictions. What are yours?

Here is my (Wish) list for nominees:

Best Picture: Across the Universe

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis There Will Be Blood

Best Actress: Marion Cotillard La Vie en Rose

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan Gone Baby Gone

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem No Country for Old Men

Best Director: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen No Country for Old Men

Best Original Song: "Back Where You Belong" from The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

To be fair, I haven't seen yet either "Atonement" or "There will be Blood." However the latter seems like the much more interesting movie, and I'm rather alarmed that not only might it not be nominated for best picture, but that "Atonement" might end up as best picture. This sounds like one of those best picture winners that are chosen even though most people recognize that it is not the best picture of the year. I can see why one might prefer it over "No Country for Old Man," or "There will be Blood," but must it be preferred to both? This sounds like 2001 when "A Beautiful Mind" won, even though "The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring," "In the Bedroom" and "Gosford Park" were much better movies, while "Mulholland Drive" or "A.I." did not even get nominated.

I will be very surprised if Atonement wins or is even nominated. We'll see. Industry support for it seems to be lukewarm (witness the SAG nominations; Producers Guild; DGA etc.) Lately there seems to be a backlash with the Globes (meaning the Oscars), one reason the Oscars moved up their ceremony to Feb (I wish they'd move it back as it makes it hard for small films to be heard). The Globes choices and Oscars match about half the time........They are more accurate in Best Actor/Actress categories than other ones.....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings