Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will "Persecution" (1974) ever Come to DVD? Has anyone seen this film??

CelluloidKid

Persecution (1974) is a Horror film W./ Lana Turner! Being a film fan, & esp. a fan of "Horror" films, this 1 film I have been trying to find for "Years" on VHS! I beleive I may have seen parts of this on TV but don't remember! I know the film is now out-of-print on VHS. Will this film ever see the light of day and come to DVD??

*_Also Known As_:*

Sheba (undefined)

Strana signora della grande casa, La Italy

The Graveyard (undefined)

The Terror of Sheba (undefined)

Verfolgung West Germany

*_Here is some info I found on this film_:*

UK. 1974.

Director: Don Chaffey

Cinematography: Kenneth Talbot

Screenplay: Robert B. Hutton & Rosemary Wootten, Story Hutton

Producer: Kevin Francis & Hugh Attwooll

Music: Paul Ferris

Makeup: Roy Ashton

Costume Designer: Anthony Mendleson

Production Company: Tyburn

Stars: Ralph Bates (David Masters), Lana Turner (Carey Masters), Olga Georges-Picot (Monique Kalfon), Suzan Farmer (Janie Masters), Trevor Howard (Paul Bellamy), Craig Weavers (Young David)

Plot: Young David Masters drowns his mother?s cat Sheba in its milk, claiming she loves it more than he, one of many such Shebas he has killed. As a grown man, he returns home with his wife Janie and their newborn child. His mother swears vengeance on him, promising to toy with him as Sheba would have played with a mouse. Soon after, his mother?s latest Sheba suffocates the baby under a pillow. Janie has a nervous breakdown. And then his mother brings in a French nurse to seduce David away from Janie.

This was one of the films produced by England?s Tyburn Films, a minor production house formed by Freddie Francis?s son Kevin that attempted to replicate the success of Hammer Films. Alas Tyburn only made a handful of films ? "The Ghoul" (1975) and "Legend of the Werewolf"(1974) ? that only seemed weaker imitations of better Hammer films, before closing their doors.

Persecution was an attempt to do an English variation on "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" (1962), one of the more influential psycho-thrillers of the previous decade, which had Bette Davis and Joan Crawford engaged in Grand Guignol melodramatics. It had created its own fad of films with other actresses beyond their prime lining up to chew the scenery ? indeed Hammer had made half-a-dozen of these themselves in the previous decade. Persecution throws Lana Turner into the fray. Turner was a Hollywood star during the 1940s but her career faded after a series of tempestuous marriages and a scandal in which her daughter shot her boyfriend. Here Turner hams it up and she and Ralph Bates, an emerging Anglo-horror regular of the 1970s, have fun playing games with one another. However the catty premise in the film is not very interesting and the film trades in some rather unconvincingly histrionic psychology. Don (Jason and the Argonauts, Hammer?s One Million Years B.C.) Chaffey?s pace is slow moving, despite occasionally inventive photography and some offbeat editing. The story is confusing ? by the end one is never sure who David?s real father was. The one show stealer is the sultry seductive Olga Georges-Picot in the role of the French nurse.

Yes, this was released in the USA the year after it was made, in 1975.

I have a copy of the VHS tape, retitled THE GRAVEYARD, which I was fortunate enough to pick up when a local video store decided to close and sold off their stock.

It's no classic, but it's not bad.

• 11 months later...

*I found this very.."VERY" interesting picture of the VHS box cover Art...Gotta Love it!!*

v08100ccarl.jpg

_*Persecution_ - (a.k.a. The Graveyard, The Terror of Sheba) (1974)*

*Did U Know.... ???*

Lana Turner Won the Medalla Sitges en Plata de Ley Award for "Best Actress" from the Sitges - Catalonian International Film Festival.

Lana Turner, at age 53, is still the very essence of Hollywood glamour. But this is 1974 we're talking about, and her name didn't have the same sparkling effect on the box-office that it had in say 1947, so the film went mostly unnoticed by the movie-going public. The picture itself is a dreary and rather ghoulish retread of familiar BABY JANE-ish high jinks. But Turner has fun with her looneytunes character, and makes this otherwise derivative little film quite watchable. Lana personally regarded this as her worst performance, but she isn't bad at all. Actually she's quite good. I'm convinced she did more with the role than anybody else could have. In fact, she won the Best Actress Award at Spain's Festival of Horror Movies.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings