Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Check out Whistling in the Dark (1933) TODAY on TCM at 6:30 EST!!!!!!!!!!!!

ziggyelman

Sorry for the late mention. Never realized the Red Skelton Whistling in...series of films were based on this film!!!

Reason I mention this one, caught part of it early in the morning(earlier last year) ....The part of this film I did see makes it an interesting film for fans of Pre Code films. Reason being, a...wanting for a better word, **** Una Merkel shows a lot of Una in a scene getting out of bed.....and of course the milquetoast writer beau wants nothing to do with her!

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=4837

Ernest Truex was OK in this role, and I suspect my banal ratings for this film falls more on the poor technicalities. Una Merkel's too-fake Southern Drawl came and went about 49 times too often - she should have tried Russian or Swahili accents - they couldn't have been any worse.

Edward Arnold and his gang turned in typically solid performances.

I do think Skelton was better at leading a film series than Truex would have been. When Red goes over the top, he's got the physicality and expressiveness to handle that. Truex, I fear, was more appropriate as the "perpetual milquetoast", even as a foreign correspondent "because I parlay-vous a little French!"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings