Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If the Oscars are cancelled....any chance TCM will cancel 31 days of Oscar?

ziggyelman

Oh, I'm just kidding....I know they can't do that, and there will be a few interesting films on(Mainly shorts IMHO) ....I just get bored with the same films year after year, that often run during the year anyway. Glad I have recorded the many good films non Oscar films they ran last year!

It is weird though to show films honoring an award show that may be 60 minutes long,(Like the Golden Globes) and without the folks there that made the films...

I would like to see TCM scuttle "31 Days of Oscar" this year and every year thereafter. It is TCM's most boring month, followed by August's "Summer Under the Stars". August can be better, though, with better choices. Last year, earlier stars were poorly represented. Ernest Borgnine had a day! At least 10 pre-Code stars should be represented......William Haines; John Gilbert; Lon Chaney; Leila Hyams; Constance Bennett; Wheeler & Woolsey; Helen Twelvetrees; Joan Blondell; Richard Barthelmess; Richard Dix.

I guess it may be possible that the Academy Awards ceremony could be cancelled but it isn't likely. There are many differences between the two television productions and their relationships with the WGA.

The biggest difference is that the AMPAS ("The Academy") actually owns and produces the ceremony for the Oscars. It is then "sold" to ABC. The Golden Globes telecast are "produced" by Dick Clark Productions for the program owner NBC. And Dick Clark Productions are a production company being "struck" by the WGA - as is NBC.

The AMPAS could easily enter into an agreement with the WGA in regard to the pertinent issues for the WGA in much the same way David Letterman has come to terms with the WGA. David Letterman's program is owned and produced by his own company which is then "sold" to CBS. As a product of it's own "production company", "The Late Show" with David Letterman was capable of agreeing to whatever demands the WGA had. AMPAS can do the same - and likely will as the awards date approaches.

There could also be a "truce" where the WGA promises not to picket the ceremony. That is the sticking point keeping Actors/Directors, etc. from attending other ceremonies as other guild members are refusing to cross picket lines of striking writers - and not necessarily refusing to participate in any television programs while the Writer's Strike is ongoing.

If I got any of the "facts" wrong in this description, I hope someone will correct me. And the few writers that I know hang out around here might know better than me too.

Kyle In Hollywood

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings