Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Best and Worst Remakes...

Metropolisforever

Good choice for best remake. Since we're talking about the quality of the remake, not whether is surpassed the original, Gaslight '44 isn't quite as good as Gaslight '41 but still qualifies as one of the best remakes.

Preacher's Wife is bad but my nominee for worst is Madonna's remake of Lina Wertm?ller's "Swept Away". This turkey isn't just in the running for worst remake but could also make a credible run in the category of worst film ever made.

--

Terry Wallace

In my humble, opinion, the 1939 version of The Wizard of Oz is far superior to the 1910 version. I think it's perhaps my favorite remake. While I love Bebe Daniels in both Dixiana and Reaching for the Moon, her interpretation of Dorothy just can't hold a candle to Judy Garland's - even though Bebe created the role on screen.

I thought the addition of songs and even some dancing might really ruin the story, but I find that it actually enhances the overall feel of the film and takes the story to a new, higher, level.

hmm... I wonder if remakes are such horrible, fearful, and to-be-dreaded things afterall?

Best: The Man Who Knew Too Much

Worst: Mr. Deeds

The funny things is, i haven't seen the first TMWKTM, nor the new Mr. Deeds. But i don't see how either could be better than the ones i've seen! I've also heard the new Christmas in CT is terrible. I didn't know that The Bishop's Wife was redone. The original for that is really good!

IMO

Best remake

The Fly

Worst Remake -

King Kong 2005

Only because I didnt and wont see the Mr Deeds remake with Adam Sandler

Good remakes honorable mention

The Thing, The Blob, Halloween, The Hills Have Eyes, Village of the Damned..

Isnt the Wizard of Oz from 1939 a remake of silent versions...if that counts as a remake, I nominate the Wizard of Oz,

I did watch a lot of horror, so those are remakes that I am familiar with...

I know the Big Sleep was remade as well as the Maltese Falcon but havent seen anything but Bogart versions for both

I saw a modern film on some channel last year, a film I had heard about and had been wanting to see, which was ?Crimson Tide? (1995) (Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112740/

Then, a few months later I saw ?Hell Below? (1933) on TCM (Walter Houston and Robert Montgomery), and I was astonished to realize that ?Crimson Tide? was basically a re-make of ?Hell Below?.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024100/

The basic plot similarities was that in both films one of the submarine?s crew members goes against orders regarding firing at the enemy and gets into trouble. In the old film the young guy disobeys the older captain and fires when ordered not to, and the captain chews him out, but later they become friends; in the modern film the old captain wants to fire when ordered not to, but the young guy stops him just in time and takes charge and chews him out, then they become sort of friends at the end.

The Bogie version of The Maltese Falcon, is the 2nd remake, There is a 1936 version, entitled Satan Meet A Lady, I haven't seen it yet, but its been described as screwball comedish and There is the original 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon, which if you are into pre-codes,it a gotta see, because its a hoot!

WORST RE-MAKES:

PSYCHO

HALLOWEEN

THE FOG

GODZILLA

HEARTBREAK KID

THE HILLS HAVE EYES

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED

PROM NIGHT (Released April 11th, 2008)

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

Of course "The Rains Came" W./Myrna Loy, Tyrone Power became "The Rains of Ranchipur" W./RIchard Burton & Lana Turner

ALSO:

There are always rumors circulating around about which film Quentin Tarantino will be directing next. According to Variety, the director is suddenly determined to remake the Russ Meyer exploitation flick Faster, Pussycat! Kill!... Kill!.

He wants to make the film even more scandalous than the original, which centered around three busty women traveling through the desert and stirring up trouble. His dream cast includes Kim Kardashian, Eva Mendes and Britney Spears.

This sounds like a blasphemous rumor to us. But stranger things have come to fruition. The film he is purposing would definitely find an audience.

Shanghai Express (1932) W./Marlene Dietrich was remade in 1942 as "Night Plane from Chungking" and in 1951 as "Peking Express"!

Your, Mine and Ours. The original was one of my favorites. I find myself saying " That's a remake" wayyyyy too much lately to my kids. They can't be running out of original ideas, can they? I found my love of movies from my mom and I have passed it on to my kids but they maybe the only kids in their school to know about the "Good ole' days" of movies.... anyways... I like my kids to see the original first then they can compare. So far they have always picked the first one...It's kind of like reading the book first then see the movie. The book is always better.

Worst:

The Pink Panther

Mutiny on the Bounty

Bewitched

Psycho

The Invasion

Born Yesterday

The Heartbreak Kid

Mr. Deeds

The Producers

12 Angry Men

101 Dalmatians

The 39 Steps

Around the World in 80 Days

David and Lisa

Flubber

Guess Who

Inherit the Wind

The Importance of Being Earnest

The In-Laws

The Wiz

Best:

The Wizard of Oz

The Awful Truth

His Girl Friday

Gigi

Hello Dolly!

The Maltese Falcon

Invasion Of the Body Snatchers

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Mogambo

Gaslight (The Original Was Still Better)

20,000 Leauges under the Sea

Ben-Hur

The Birdcage

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I Love Tim Burton)

Scrooged

Hairspray

High Society

Ocean's Eleven

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings