Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollow Triumph; AKA The Scar

redriver

*******SPOILER ALERT******

Paul Henreid is a criminal who looks just like a successful psychiatrist. He kills the doctor and assumes his identity. "Lookalike Switch" works well enough in Dickens and Twain, but the gritty, realism of a crime story is ill served by it. Nonetheless, some intriguing and ironic things happen as a result, and I like the movie in spite of myself. A lot.

The other story elements are well written. The whole thing is crafted with flair and expertise. The mood, the timing and the look are right on target. There's even a consciousness that addresses larger, more thematic issues. This is a movie with a lot going for it. If you can forgive the incredible premise, it's a very enjoyable little gangster film.

RR

Message was edited by: redriver

This is another film from what may have been Eagle-Lion's finest year (1948), releasing five movies for which John Alton was the cinematographer. The others:

*Canon City* (Crane Wilbur)

*The Spiritualist* (aka The Amazing Mr. X)

*Raw Deal* (Anthony Mann)

*He Walked by Night* (Alfred Werker; Anthony Mann, uncredited)

Although Steve Sekely received the credit for directing Hollow Triumph, Henreid apparently took over the direction during the shoot.

Thanks for the head's up on this, RedR. And thanks for the other comments. I've lost all sympathy that Henreid usually creates for his characters in that thread about Henreid's "No Birthday Presents". ha ha. Great fun, and I'll look forward to seeing who Henreid's running around with in this one!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings