Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please define "Bollywood" for me.....

classicsfan1119

The way I understand it, it's just Indian cinema. I think it was either last June or July that TCM was showing some of this stuff. Some thought it was a good idea, but I think it was largely unpopular.

Maybe someone'll come along here with a little more insight...

Thanks, Antar...that's what I thought too after reading through the thread where I first saw it mentioned...the one concerning Eastern Indian films. But, I saw it somewhere else this week where it was used in reference to music, and that threw me. Perhaps there is also Eastern Indian music that is being called Bollywood?

Ok...that makes sense to me. I agree with you about the East Indian music. Wasn't it in the 70's that there was a bit of a craze for it thanks to The Beatles short-lived interest in the Hindu faith, etc.? I kind of burned out on it back then. Like a lot of cultural music, one really needs to either grow up with it, or have a serious liking for it.

It refers to the Indian genre films which incorporate choreographed musical interludes and other classic Hollywood motifs. It does not, however, refer to ALL Indian cinema; for example, the neo-realistic style of Satyajit Ray and the overt sexuality of Mira Nair are not generally considered to be "Bollywood."

Archived