Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Film Stars on TV

MissGoddess

What are some of your favorite or most memorable TV appearances by classic movie stars? It can be in any capacity; as a guest starring role, a game show or talk show appearance.

Besides *Lucille Ball* herself starring in her own series, I find Bill Holden's turn on "I Love Lucy" one of the most hilarious, especially when he lights her nose!

i-love-lucy-114.jpg

heehee! great topic sweet april!

i love that episode of lucy!

i loved the smothers brothers appearance on the Judy Garland Show, and found it most hilarious!judy was most gorgeous on it too! i love judy.

also on the same episode of the judy garland show, i loved barbra streisand's appearance.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o2WSXfXLtMQ

i loved harpo marx's appearance on I Love Lucy too. i never stopped laughing to her imitating him like he was a mirror. heehee!

Perfiles_Barbra01.jpg

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

Hi T! I have seen that appearance of Steisand on Judy's show, that was pretty special. I haven't seen too much of the Smothers Brothers...yet! :)

Great picture!

I love the Marx Bros. appearance on Lucy's show, too---you know of course she was with them in the movie Room Service...a movie that's not one of their best but I like it...I even crack up whenever that dorky, fake-looking turkey buzzard flys around the room...ha ha!! Lucy and Bob Hope were a great team, too, and he appeared on her show and she pretended to be a hot dog seller at a ball game. They were so cute together.

oh i remember the bob hope episode. that was a funny one too!! heehee!

yes ui have Room Service and it was one i first watched at Grandmama's house. :) lucy should have been the marx sister. that would have been great!!

i also loved the teaming of carol burnett and lucy on carol's show and on the lucy show a lot. they are a riotto watch. i cant eat or drink on anything while watching them together, or itll all come out my nose. heehee!

Those two red-heads together are too much! I love Carol's show, she is such a funny lady. My favorites are the ones where she does a knock-off of some famous classic movie, like "Mildred Fierce" ha ha! That's another one I should rent.

oh i heard that one!! "mildred fierce". heeheeheehee! i have a radio show with greer on the charlie macarthy show and they go slumming and meet a waitress at a rastaurant and the charlie asks her if she knows who greer is, and the waitress says,"oh yeah, from that russian picture, Mrs. Minovitch?" i just had to crack up to that one!

i would really looooooove to see greer on the Smothers Brothers comedy hour, but it isnt on DVD, so i cant see it yet. :(

i also have carol and julie andrews at carnegie hall and oh my goodness! i couldnt stop laughing!! they are a great pair too.

I love all those episodes of Lucy y'all mentioned. I think overall though the one with William Holden at the Brown Derby is my favorite and I have that season on dvd. I loved the Carol Burnett show too. Here's a pic of her as Scarlett O'Hara.

burnett.jpg

My mom saw that episode when it was new and she said she had never laughed that hard before in her life especially when Carol said "I saw it in the window and just had to have it".

That episode is *hilarious* Angie! It's got to be the most famous single episode in the whole series. It was funny how the cast would periodically break eachother up during a scene.

I also loved whenever Tim Conway appeared, he was hysterical. Especially as "Mr Tudball". Ha ha ha!!

4581570.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGd9Q_T0RAM82slzHJWFyG1H0gbHg

One mega-star who made many appearances on television and even went for her own series several times, was Bette Davis. I found this interesting site all about her TV work (the good, the bad and the ugly):

http://www.tvparty.com/movdavis.html

One thing I learned, Bette has two stars on the Walk of Fame; one for her movies and one for her television work!

Theresa: I noticed on that site there is a link to a clip from one of The Smothers Brothers shows!

Bette, on a television special with Elizabeth Taylor

250px-DavisTaylor.jpg

There were a number of memorable *I Love Lucy* episodes with movie stars appearing as themselves, but the two biggies for me were: (a) John Wayne -- with Lucy trying to get his footprints in cement, and (B) Harpo Marx -- with Lucy, dressed as Harpo, recreating the faux-mirror scene from Duck Soup.

Hi Chris,

I never saw that one, but now with all the seasons hopefully making it to dvd eventually, I will. I know Bette Davis' turn on "Gunsmoke" was pretty rugged---I mean SHE was! I'm trying to think if Matt ever came up against a tougher enemy, lol.

Its been years since I've seen the Lupino episode, but I have never forgotten it. Would love to see it again, and I'm sure its rerun when they telecast the marathon TWILIGHT ZONE'S but I always seem to miss it. Since this one and others from that classic series are now available on DVD its possible to rent or buy some of the episodes. Its unfortunate Mitch Leisen isn't remembered as well as some of the other directors of the 40's since he has worked on so many memorable films.

i know she was in "the Virginian", april, and i have looked for it everywhere, but i cant find it anywhere. it ceases to be found for me. oh no! heehee!

being a drama queen is essential sometimes, especially when you cant find all the stuff you want too. heehee! :)

i did find the christmas special she did on TV with perry como in 1979. it is about perry exploring the christmas traditions of new mexico. i love wathing that!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings