Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Oscars - A Silly Popularity Contest?

Metropolisforever

I think so.

Critics have noted that many Best Picture Academy Award winners in the past have not stood the test of time. Several of these films, such as Around the World in 80 Days, Grand Hotel and Cecil B. DeMille's The Greatest Show on Earth are often considered to have aged poorly and to have little of the impact they had on their initial release. Several films that currently have wide critical approval were not named Best Picture.

FOR EXAMPLE: In 1941, Citizen Kane was nominated for Best Picture, but it lost to How Green Was My Valley.

It has been suggested that actors are at a disadvantage in comedic roles, as few acting awards have been given for performances in films that could be considered primarily comedic. Notable examples of actors who have received Oscars for comedic roles are James Stewart in The Philadelphia Story, Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday, Josephine Hull in Harvey, Jack Lemmon in Mister Roberts, Peter Ustinov in Topkapi, Walter Matthau in The Fortune Cookie, Goldie Hawn in Cactus Flower, George Burns in The Sunshine Boys, Diane Keaton in Annie Hall, Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost, Jack Palance in City Slickers, Jack Nicholson in As Good as It Gets, Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda, Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine, and Jessica Lange in Tootsie. This was joked about at the 2007 awards by Jack Black, John C. Reilly, and Will Ferrell.

Studios also lobby heavily for their films to be considered, leading to the complaint that nominations and awards may be largely a result of this lobbying rather than the quality of the material.

The Oscars are just a silly popularity contest.

Agreed, the Oscars show is a silly popularity contest, but seeing as it isn't going to go away, maybe I have the answer to wasting four-plus hours watching preening fools in varrying degrees of sobriety. Cut it to a one-hour long announcement, like the Golden Globes was forced to do.

Two bland announcers who have no problem with the English language stand there and name the nominees, and then name the winners. NO thank you speeches, NO forced humor, NO politicising, NO ugly clothes-as-ads for designers who should know better, NO bad sets, and NO excrutiating "best song" production numbers (can anyone forget last year's winner?)

Just eliminate the Best Song category, so that we don't have to sit through all those god-awful production numbers, and bar Bruce Vilanch from writing any more of his tepid, lame, embarassing insider-jokes for the host and presenters.

You'd be surprised how much brisker and more enjoyable the Oscars program will be if these two very simple suggestions are implemented.

Of course, it's a popularity contest, Garbo never won, but Cher did? but it's still fun to see

Hollywood pretending it's not. I still watch it every year --the way to improve this show is to cut out the technical awards, or award them before the show--

cut down the long acceptance speeches and just keep it moving and cut down on the unfunny jokes. Also, pick a better M.C.

''''

Well, duh.

But that's what makes it fun-if you understand that the Oscars have very little to do with what really deserves an award, and everything to do with who had the best marketing campaign, who gets a sympathy vote and who **** off the Academy the least, then you can relax and have fun. It always kind of puzzles me when people get all ruffled about the Oscars-has it ever really NOT been about glitz, glamour and popularity? NOT about public appeal?

I see movies regardless of possible Oscar potential, and I don't take it personally if something that deserves it doesn't win, because I know that it's a big scam. And even though most actors, directors and producers would love to have "Oscar Winner" next to their name or movie title, mostly because of the potential added revenue, I think they realize it too. And most of really good actors seem to be grounded enough to realize that while winning an award is pretty cool, it's not like they've saved a life or discovered the cure for cancer.

I enjoy the Oscars BECAUSE it's a silly popularity contest-I host a party every year and I get to have a bunch of really good friends over for a good dinner while we childishly tear apart someone's fashion choice, laugh hysterically over the ridiculous dance numbers and cringe through some really bad jokes and skits. It's all good, and it's just show biz. Most of the movies I see aren't too mainstream anyway, and luckily more serious awards shows have sprung up in recent years so that films that do deserve awards get them.

So I say Huzzah for the Oscars. We all need the break.

I think looking back at the previous 79 awards I would say that I agreed with the Academy eight times for best picture (starting with All Quiet on the Western Front and ending with The Return of the King), six times for best actor (starting with James Cagney and ending with Adrian Brody) and seven times for best actress (starting with Jane Fonda in Klute (!) and ending with Helen Mirren). To be fair I haven't seen Vivien Leigh in A Streetcar Named Desire, Sally Field in Norma Rae or Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, and I suspect I would think they were better than my current choice for those years. I also haven't seen Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Her anymore, but I suspect my choice for that year is better.

OK - we all complain or make fun of the Oscars but we love to watch! Especially if someone makes a fool of himself!

So many best times - Russell Crowe;s surprise at winning for "Gladiator!.....Tom Hanks Best Actor win 2 years in a row for Philadelphia!! and Forrest Gump!! So well deserved! Denzel!! Forrest Whittaker! Kathy Bates for "Misery"......"Chariots of Fire" for Best Picture another year... "West Side Story"..."Braveheart".....so many wonderful ones over the years!

You can't forget the moments......now it's a fashion show and maybe some fun! But hey,

IT'S THE OSCARS and we love them!

The best way I've discovered to watch the Academy Awards in the last few years, is with your TiVO or other instant DVR running. You can freeze-frame to comment on the Actors, fast-forward through the musical numbers, hit replay to watch the montages or the Memorium-which I do look forward to because sometimes this is the last we hear about some of these folk on Broadcast television (Blessings and Good Karma to TCM for keeping them in our conscience, BTW). I don't dress up for the evening, or gather at a Oscar party. I also I don't have to judge the whole thing too harshly since I do not receive a Academy Ballot. I hope the show goes on as planned, and I hope Jon Stewart does a bit about the "integrity of the Vote" in the AMPAS process. It would be snarky and delicious; the Oscar balloting has more integrity and the Presidential elections of the recent past :-) . How else did The English Patient win?

Alone in a darkened living room with some Haagen-Dazs ice cream (rum raisin), no phone calls and just gaze and dream. That's how I flow with the Oscars. I love 'em. Haven't missed a one since I saw Julie Christie win for "Darling." I'm hoping she wins again. She did a grand job in "Away With Her."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings