Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Queen Bee, Grand Hotel, All this and Heaven Too & The Naked City

dsclassic

One of the or if not the main reason I come here is to actually discuss old classic films with people who know much more about titles than I do, and to get some ideas of whats worth seeing or not because there are so many classic movies to see..

This quartet is what I have just seen and I wanted to share some basic thoughts and see what others had to say..

Queen Bee reminded me of Bette Davis in the Anniversary, this movie was good, but I didnt like it enough to own, it was a worth seeing movie, and I thought the performances of Joan Crawford,Barry Sullivan & co were are all great

Grand Hotel - another Joan Crawford movie - well technically a Greta Garbo movie...this movie made wonder what was so wonderful about Greta, she came off to me as bland in this movie, not having seen other films with her. I didnt recognize Joan in this, it didnt sound like her, her voice was kind of different and she didnt look like the Joan I was used to, This was a 1932 movie, and I am sure youth had a reason. She reminded me of your typical 1930s actress that you would see in obscure old movies. Another good movie, but not to own at least for me...worth seeing

All this and Heaven Too - this is coming to DVD and I look forward to it, this was GREAT, I have never seen Bette Davis play a victim and she played it fantastic..2.5 hours didnt lag at all...great film

Naked City - this was a noir, and it came across as a lesser effort. The ending was great, getting there kinda got dull..not every movie is a home run..luckily for the wallet

I believe a lot of movies are worth seeing at least once just to satisfy the desire to see an older classic, mystery or Noir. Not every movie will appeal or make you want to go and buy it, but at least you have an opportunity to see what classics fit your style and learn about what appeals to you..

I have discovered a lot of the movies back then are really good, but some of them just dont fit into what you want in a collection, but are at least neat to check out...

Hows this for a thread at 11PM :)

i'll pass on the others. the thing about naked city is da broad dat gets offed iz spoze ta be jean harlow.....& da writas wuz blacklisted ........ itsa great slice of new york 1948 but really the style got copied so many times its dated. save yer money - dont buy no movies. jus tape em off tv widda vcr. wize up

hollyywood refused to allow location shooting & naked city was one of the first. our cities are just a bit more filthy & decrepit than a studio lot.

however under the table I might add was the fact that hollywood was paying mafia punk fee to keep out labor unions. when this became known it was inserted into so many scripts - see if mafia kills an actress it keeps the money flowing.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings