Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CONTEST/CHALLENGE PREDICT 2007 OSCAR NOMS!?-(less then a week)

spencerl964

First & foremost hope this logs-in!!! This is my own 26thyr at being an Oscar oddsmaker/

pundit & I've always somewhat enjoyed trying to outguess what the almost 6,000 AMPAS members will go for on nomination day, a wee-bit over the final WINNERS!-(NOTE: As most know though, they may also have troubles, like the recent G. Globe Awards Do to this ongoing WGA strike) But, I have faith & especially given it is it's 4 score year anniversary this time

1 item *S. Spielberg-(1946-) will not be rec. a lifetme achievement award?)

& like most here I by far, adore Hollywoods Heavyweights & Glorious Golden Age the most

(TRVIA: Very 1st Oscars to be telecast Early 1953 honoring 1952 motion pictures & at the still-standing-(for now) "Pantages Theatre" They were held there 1949 to '59 as a matter of fact!

& for those debut awards on the small-screen Many stars had never appeared live on it The likes of: *Bogie, *Davis, *Gable & *"The Duke" John Wayne" & many more)

Anyway, please throw-in your picks!

I hope to own my own website eventually-(P.S. On that note, don't ever 4-get tcm's somewhat companion pc www.classicmovieguide.com by our own path 40)

THE 80th ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS-(Official nods. to be announced next Tuesday Jan. 22nd, 2008) Actual OSCARS still-slated for Sunday February 24th & for the 7th consecutive yr at "The Kodak Theatre"-(which I got to go up inside of a couple yrs ago) & Ironicall only blocks from "Pantages" (680l Hollywood, Blvd) & much to my chagrin, tv's Jon Stewart hosts' again

I like Mr. Stewart ok, I just think a host should have to have done at least 1 theatrical release to host) Imagine Mr. Leslie Towne Hope (Bob Hope-(l903-2003) 18 times as host!!!

FOR ANYONE VISITING, "THE KODAK THEATRE" IS A MUST SEE FANS! AS IS THE "HOLLYWOOD ROOSEVELT HOTEL" Just across H. Blvd & original home of the then only dubbed Academy awards-(nickname of Oscar only started around 1935)

2007 OSCARS WHO & WHAT MAY/WILL BE IN THE RACE? (Top 6 of 8 majors only)

BEST PICTURE?: (I have never believed-in listing a runner-up/also-ran & on that note This is dedicated to the already late: Joel Siegel-(l944-2007) Of whom i started watching his annual nominee forecasting in 1982 as well! He was the best at it too! However, in the last few yrs he was even listing 6 in each category?)

"ATONEMENT" (Focus.)-(May lead field in most overall noms?) "JUNO" (Fox Searchlight) "MICHAEL CLAYTON" (WB) "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" (Miramax)-(my own fav. of a weak yr) & "THERE WILL BE BLOOD" (Mir.)

BEST ACTOR?: GEORGE CLOONEY in "Michael Clayton" DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, "There Will Be Blood" JOHNNY DEPP, "Sweeney Todd" RYAN GOSLING, "Lars and the Girl" & VIGGO MORTENSEN, "Eastern Promises" (NOTE: My first 2 categories match "Entertainment Weekly's" Which is usually rare)

BEST ACTRESS? JULIE CHRISTIE in "Away from Her"-(I'm rooting for the still glorious "Lara!")

MARION COTILLARD, "La Vie en Rose" (France) ANGELINA JOLIE, "A Mighty Heart" KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, "Atonement"& ELLEN PAGE, "Juno"

SUPPORTING ACTOR?: JAVIER BARDEM in "No Country for 0ld Men"-(a likely blow-out) PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN, "Charlie Wilson's War" HAL HOLBROOK, "Into the Wild"-(would be the almost 83yr old's 1st) TOMMY LEE JONES, "No Country for 0ld Men" & TOM WILKINSON, "Michael Clayton"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS?: CATE BLANCHETT, "I'm Not There"-(& as Bob Dylan!) RUDY DEE, "American Gangster"-(would be the 85yr old's first too!) CATHERINE KEENER, "Into the Wild" AMY RYAN, "Gone Baby Gone"& TILDA SWINTON in "Michael Clayton"

AND BEST DIRECTOR???: PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON for "There Will Be Blood" ETHAN & JOEL COEN for "No Country for 0ld Men" SEAN PENN for "Into the Wild"-(Would be the Oscar winning actors first shot in this area & this is among the few I missed?) JULIAN SCHNABEL, "The Diving Bell & the Butterfly"-(this was a huge upset other night with G. Globes -Hollywood Foreign Press ****. which consists' of about 100 jouralist) & JOE WRIGHT for "Atonement"

Mongo, Cliff, path & a couple others, including myself Are huge fans of MUSIC-SCORES I'd usually post them here as well, though this may not get posted???

& TO CYNDI & HOLLY, GRAND-GALS!!!

Message was edited by: myidolspencer

Welp, same ol' same folks TO TCM WEBMASTER WHY, SINCE NEW YEAR IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO WRITE A NORMAL ARTICLE/P0ST???-(as you can see it was chopped in half???) PLEASE ASSIST & TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE

AGAIN WHO & WHAT WILL BE IN THE RACE FOR THE 13 & 1/2 inch 8 & 1/2lb "Golden Boy?"=(Designed by M-G-M's A #1 Set Decorator: *Cedric Gibbons-(1893-1960)

BEST PICTURE?: "ATONEMENT" "JUNO" "MICHAEL CLAYTON" "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"-(My own fav. of a weak year) & "THERE WILL BE BLOOD"

ACTOR?: GEORGE CLOONEY in "Michael Clayton" DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, "There Will Be Blood" JOHNNY DEPP, "Sweeney Todd" RYAN GOSLING, Lars and the Girl" & VIGGO MORTENSEN, "Eastern Promises" (NOTE: My 1st two match "EW Mag's" A virtual first for me)

ACTRESS?: JULIE CHRISTIE, "Away from Her"-(I'm Rootin' for the ever glorious "Lara!") MARION COTILLARD, "La Vie en Rose" ANGELINA JOLIE, "A Mighty Heart" KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, "Atonement"& ELLEN PAGE, "Juno"

Welp, same ol' same folks TO TCM WEBMASTER WHY, SINCE NEW YEAR IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO WRITE A NORMAL ARTICLE/P0ST???-(as you can see it was chopped in half???) PLEASE ASSIST & TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE

AGAIN WHO & WHAT WILL BE IN THE RACE FOR THE 13 & 1/2 inch 8 & 1/2lb "Golden Boy?"=(Designed by M-G-M's A #1 Set Decorator: *Cedric Gibbons-(1893-1960)

BEST PICTURE?: "ATONEMENT" "JUNO" "MICHAEL CLAYTON" "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"-(My own fav. of a weak year) & "THERE WILL BE BLOOD"

ACTOR?: GEORGE CLOONEY in "Michael Clayton" DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, "There Will Be Blood" JOHNNY DEPP, "Sweeney Todd" RYAN GOSLING, Lars and the Girl" & VIGGO MORTENSEN, "Eastern Promises" (NOTE: My 1st two match "EW Mag's" A virtual first for me)

ACTRESS?: JULIE CHRISTIE, "Away from Her"-(I'm Rootin' for the ever glorious "Lara!") MARION COTILLARD, "La Vie en Rose" ANGELINA JOLIE, "A Mighty Heart" KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, "Atonement"& ELLEN PAGE, "Juno"

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

BEST PICTURE?: "ATONEMENT" "JUNO" "MICHAEL CLAYTON" "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"-(my fav of a weak yr) AND "THERE WILL BE BLOOD"

ACTOR?: GEORGE CLOONEY, "Michael Clayton" DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, There Will Be Blood" JOHNNY DEPP, "Sweeney Todd" VIGGO MORTENSEN, "Eastern Promises"& DENZEL WASHINGTON, "American Gangster" NOW, THIS WON'T LOG

TCM WAS ALWAYS THEE FINEST???

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

BEST PICTURE?: "ATONEMENT" "JUNO" "MICHAEL CLAYTON" "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN"-(my fav of a weak yr) AND "THERE WILL BE BLOOD"

ACTOR?: GEORGE CLOONEY, "Michael Clayton" DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, There Will Be Blood" JOHNNY DEPP, "Sweeney Todd" VIGGO MORTENSEN, "Eastern Promises"& DENZEL WASHINGTON, "American Gangster" NOW, THIS WON'T LOG

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

Spence,

Since the preview function went away months ago, there is now short delay for your post to show up on the message board.

This gives you time to re-read the message and edit it should you need to.

Also, be aware that indentations can cause some posts to be cut off.

It is just one of the quirks of the message board as of late.

Hope this helps,

Here are my predictions, Spence. Atonement is a real conundrum. On the surface, it is a prototypical Oscar picture: British, Literary, Period Piece. Yet the guilds (Directors, Producers, Screen Actors and Writers) have all ignored it. The numerous critics awards haven't really embraced it as well. It does have big support, understandably from the BAFTAs and the Globes nominated it for 7 awards (It's Golden Globe win occurred after the Oscar nomination ballots deadline, so it doesn't factor in). Conversely, Into the Wild has strong Guild Support, so I think it will pick up the major nominations that may have gone to Atonement. Then there's Juno. I'm just not sure it will impact as strongly as last year's comedy Little Miss Sunshine.

Best Picture

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Into the Wild

Michael Clayton

No Country for Old Men

There Will be Blood

Best Director

Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Sean Penn, Into the Wild

Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton

Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men

Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will be Blood

Best Actor

George Clooney, Michael Clayton

Danial Day-Lewis, There Will be Blood

Ryan Gosling, Lars and the Real Girl

Emile Hirsch, Into the Wild

Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises

Best Actress

Julie Christie, Away from Her

Marion Cotillard, La Vien En Rose

Angeline Jolie, A Mighty Heart

Laura Linney, The Savages

Ellen Page, Juno

Best Supporting Actor

Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men

Hal Holbrick, Into the Wild

Tommy Lee Jones, No Country for Old Men

Tom Wilkenson, Michael Clayton

Best Supporting Actress

Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There

Catherine Keener, Into the Wild

Kelly McDonald, No Country for Old Men

Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone

Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

Best Picture: Across the Unviverse

Best Actor: "Daniel Day-Lewis There Will Be Blood"

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem "No Country for Old Men"

Best Actress: Marion Cotillard "La Vie en Rose"

Best Supporeting Actress: Amy Ryan "Gone Baby Gone"

Best Director: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen "No Country For 0ld Men"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings