Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

general chat spot

PopcornAndDots

You are right about hand held cameras, another pet peeve of mine is slow-motion to show someone running or falling off a building, what the director doesn't realize, once he shows the scene in slow-motion he takes all the fright and drama out of the scene, and tells the audience 'it's only a movie'...Phooey on slow- motion...

Another pet peeve of mine is lighting, used in newer movies, for some reason, what they call 'natural' lighting is prefered in modern movies, this means the scenes are 'lit' with only the daylight coming in from the windows, these films are photographed so dark as to confuse the audience and strain the eyes, trying to figure out what is going on. This is why I prefer old black and white movies, they were lit to show shadows but the characters were as vividly lit and as clear as a newsreel, they don't make black and white movies anymore, mores the pity, and look how clear and bright the Technicolor movies of the 1940's were, I sometimes think we went backward and are making all the mistakes they avoided in the 1940's.....

Thanks for mentioning the lighting?this drives me crazy! I will watch a movie in the theatre and the lighting is so dark that not only does the setting disappear; I can barely see the actor?s faces. Is there no light source in their world? I watch the same movie on DVD and, Viola! There is light in their world! I don?t understand this phenomenon, but I have begun to believe that my eyes are ?too old? to watch new movies in the movie theatre.

If the theater is using a platter projection system (not a digital projector), it may be that the bulb in the projector is old. If that's the case, the film will appear dark because the bulb is not projecting enough light to the screen.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings