Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm New!

AnnaV

Hi all,

My name is Anna and i just joined this message board! I am 17 years old, and I LOVE old movies! Most people my own age think i'm crazy, but i don't even see a point in watching all the new movies until i've seen the old ones :) . I've always liked old movies, but just in the past few months i've REALLY been getting into them. My favorite actors/actresses are Myrna loy, Jean Arthur, Doris Day, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Gary Cooper, Fred Macmurry, Claudette Colbert, and more that i'm forgetting. Some of my favorite movies are Cheaper by the dozen, Belle's on their toes, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, meet John Doe, The Egg and I, The Story of Dr. Wassel, Sergeant York, Pride of the Yankees, Since you went away, Never a Dull Moment, Mr. Blanding's builds his dream house, and a ton more. I hope i learn a lot more about these actors, and i learn to like other ones that i haven't seen yet. Because i know there are tons and tons of great actors out there, and i've only scratched the surface.

One other thing, I LOVE Reba McEntire (she's a country singer). I hope she does some more acting in movies some day!

Anna

Welcome to the board Anna :)

We discuss TCM type of movies

Technicolor Colorized Modern

Well not really...

Everyone here has a love for classic movies, and many will recommend a movie or 100 to you to check out. Not everything will be a home run that you watch, but if anything they are all worth seeing...

I think older movies are far superior to new movies, and many members will agree with that

Hope you will meet up with many members...one of the most beloved members is FrankGrimes who always has a lot of great photos and observations in movies :)

Welcome;;

Feel free to ask any questions you come up with , I'm sure one will know the answer or where to find it..

Glad to have another young person on board...

Feel free to ask any questions you come up with , I'm sure someone will know the answer or where to find it..

Glad to have another young person on board...

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

Sandy, when I was younger my parents actually read Cheaper by the Dozen to me and some of my siblings! I have thought about reading it again, for myself, to see how accurate the movie is. I find it funny how in the first movie, the youngest is a boy, and in the second, the youngest is a girl. And in one of them the hired hand is Tom, and the other Jim (if I'm not mistaken). I know that Cheaper by the Dozen was written by some of the kids in the family, so it's a true story, but is The Egg and I a true story? I'll definitely have to get that book if i see it.

Gregory, I actually ordered a few Claudette Colbert movies today at Barnes and Noble! Since you Went Away, So Proudly we hail, and Without Reservation. I saw Since you went Away on TCM awhile back and LOVED it. And I had to get Without Reservation because i can't even imagine was she and John Wayne are like together! There is a Jeanne Crain movie that i have been thinking about getting, but i haven't talked to anyone to see if it's good or not, A Letter to Three Wives, i think it was called. Have you seen it?

Welcome aboard! I'm in my 30's & grew up on classics! The two wesites below are the best to check out for classic films!

Some Good Websites to check for Classic Films are:

Oldies.com

Classicflix.com: They have the best selection of classic films available for rental or purchase

Hi, Anna, and welcome... I must say it's reassuring to hear from a youngster (I'm an old fogie in her 40s) who appreciate great OLD movies... Mr. Blandings is one of my personal favorites (when you're old enough to have built, bought, sold, renovated, or rented out a house, you'll understand just how true to life this is), and I, too, enjoyed the book version of "The Egg and I"; the same author wrote another about a plague (?), but I was never able to locate it. Sometimes the book is better than the movie, and sometimes it's the other way around; always interesting to compare.

A Letter to Three Wives is a VERY good movie. It's has one of the best-written screenplays around - really intelligent, and at the same time biting and witty dialogue. Given the comedies you like (Mr. Blandings/Egg & I), you should also take a look at The Palm Beach Story with Claudette Colbert and Joel McCrea. And then if you like that look for other movies directed by Preston Sturges.

Your overall taste in movies is remarkably similar to my mother's. She was the one who first introduced me to old and classic films when I was about your age, or a little younger. Truly every one of the movies you've mentioned was a particular favorite of hers. There are two dramas she also loved, so given your similar taste I'll toss these out there as recommendations for yout too. The first is A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - it's not available on DVD, but it is around on VHS and FMC does broadcast it somewhat regularly, and I think TCM does on rare occasions. The other is How Green Was My Valley, which is an Oscar winner for Best Picture and a really wonderful and moving film.

Hi, Anna! -- Welcome to the board! It's always nice to meet new members of any age. I find the wide range of ages here to be highly stimulating, in fact. I have learned something new each and every day I've been on this board, and I've done so thanks to the many kind people that call this board "home."

There is a Jeanne Crain movie that i have been thinking about getting, but i haven't talked to anyone to see if it's good or not, A Letter to Three Wives, i think it was called. Have you seen it?

A Letter to Three Wives is a big favorite of mine. It's a very funny film that features a wide array of personalities and emotions. It's an entertaining examination of marital relationships. I very much enjoy seeing the wants and worries of the spouses play out. I believe Linda Darnell gives her best performance.

alettertothreewives1.jpg

Anna - May I add my WELCOME to the boards with all the others. You mentioned A LETTER TO THREE WIVES....You enjoy Jeanne Craine, the ever crowd pleasing FrankGrimes mentioned Linda Darnell (gorgeous!), I want to add my vote for Ann Sothern (making the trio complete) - she's awesome in this - a career woman who has to make a decision regarding her man and homelife. (And I love her delivery - a writer from PEOPLE Magazine once described her voice as sweet as honey and as tart as lemonade). A group of leading ladies that who knows why the producers thought of putting them together...but thank fortune they did. An EXCELLENT film. DO get it! You will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. And while I mentioned the trio of leading ladies -- you'll get the added bonus of an uncredited Celeste Holm (very intelligent, enjoyable player) play the "mystery woman" Addie Ross. Even though she is sight unseen in this move, she figures prominently in the story. Plus the leading men - add in Kirk Douglas playing a very sexy intellectual - well, sister, you've got one of the BEST soap opera films made. Get it, enjoy it, and let us know what you think about it.

Message was edited by: filmflub

Message was edited by: filmflub

Thanks again, for the welcome all. Based on the strong consensus, i guess i will be buying A Letter to Three Wives lol. How Green was my Valley was one i had looked at in the past as well. Thanks for all the other suggestions as well. The only problem i face is finding time to watch all the movies i buy lol.

One more thing, have any of you seen Adam's Rib? It looks pretty funny, but i have not yet seen it. Is it worth buying?

Message was edited by: AnnaV

And then once you watch Adam's Rib you're going to want to see Born Yesterday because in addition to the magic of Tracy and Hepburn you're bound to get hooked on Judy Holliday as well. So you'll also watch It Should Happen to You and Phfffft and discover that Jack Lemmon is pretty amazing opposisite Judy Holliday in those so you'll start watching more of his movies too. And on it will go.

It's a happy slippery slope you're sliding on when you start dipping your toes (to mix my metaphors) in the world of classic films.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings