Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to Influence

Robertseaside

It seems to me the only way to influence the movie 'powers that be', including TCM, to air or release on DVD our favorite films, is to get together and coordinate our efforts. '...where two (or more) are gathered together ...' Why don't all of us regularly peruse the Suggestions pages, and when you find a suggestion from a fellow movie lover that you agree with, file your own suggestion for that film. As well as filing your own favorites. We're scattering our shots otherwise, and having little effect. I'm not asking you to support recommendations willy-nilly, only those you would have suggested yourself. This way, being bunched together, they should have a greater effect.

First, keep in mind that, even though its name may appear on the label, TCM doesn't release films on DVD. All films that were once part of the Turner library are now under the control of Warner Bros. so I don't know if TCM really has much say in what's being released.

As to how to influence the studios, that's simple. I think the best way to keep classic films being released on DVD is by buying them. For example, if a lot of folks are buying DVD's of silent films, than the studios will keep releasing them. There are a lot of great films that were released on VHS which are not out on DVD simply because the sales weren't that good. With these large companies, it's money that talks.

I agree that it can't hurt to post requests, Warner seems to keep an eye on this forum.

Thanks for the good information, Mark. But I was thinking more of influencing TCM to 'air' our favorites.

It would be wonderful if the studios would pay attention to TCM Suggestions as a factor in aid of classic movie DVD releasing, but I doubt that they do.

Is there a good way to influence the studios and rights owners to release particular movies on DVD? I buy the VHS versions when I can find them, but I also doubt that this secondary market is even noted.

rkroning

Message was edited by: Robertseaside

Message was edited by: Robertseaside

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings