Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

woman undressing in window

gnfoshay

gnfoshay your question has been asked many times on the boards. From what I understand the scene with the people in the tenement windows while a train passes by is from the movie "Somebody Up There Likes Me" with Paul Newman.

Mongo

Sorry, after I reread the question I realized it is another of TCMs fine intros prior to the start of the movie.

I would say it takes place in the 1930s or 1940s and I believe you can use your imagination. is she dressing? Or Undressing? Is she going to take a nap? Or is she getting ready for a date? Perhaps she is having company soon? What do you think?

In any event it is a wonderful intro with a great soundtrack that has been discussed on the boards in the past.

Mongo

It is interesting to think about, but in the end I'm completely indifferent to that intro. It's pleasant, I watch it but I never really notice it.

gnfoshay- The part of the intro you are talking about (the woman upstairs, I think in a fur shop, taking her earrings off and undressing) is a copy of a scene from "Killer's Kiss", an older Kubrick movie. TCM showed this movie about a month or so ago and I saw the scene and recognized it from the TCM intro.

There are at least 3 clips. One is the animated one that looks like the Edward Hopper paintings with the song about the sunny side of life and this has the woman brushing her hair and the truck driving past. Another clip is the train going by with the windows of the apartments (this is the one from "Somebody Up There Likes Me") and they show it right before a movie begins.

The other clip is seen late at night and shows real people (not animated) in a coffee shop, a ticket seller at the movies smoking a cigarette, and also the woman in the fur shop. The woman in the fur shop is a very similar to a scene from "Killer's Kiss".

Thank y'all for input--Mongo, I thought I knew many old movies, but after your erudite answer I don't know beans compared to you. I had no idea those scenes were from old movies, and I have not heard of "Killer's Kiss" that I recall at this moment. I had thought that the 'thread' of those bits was incoherent and that drove me mad, but now I see the pertinence! How exciting! This 'stuff' is all new to me but I am intrigued and shall continue for a bit to see what transpires. Was amused by one reply that said, "Perv."

I asked (in another Forum along with someone else who had started a similar thread) if anyone could tell me whose "mug" it is that we see that looks like it has been carved in steel or stone at the beginning of the movie. Perhaps my post was overlooked, or no one know, or no one cares...but I'm still curious about who that face belongs to, and from what movie it was taken from if someone can reply.

classicsfan I often thought about that "mug" that is shown during the evening features. I've come to the conclusion that it could represent all the gangsters of the 1930s and 1940s especially from Warner Brothers movies. What do you think about that?

Mongo

P.S. The "Mug" especially reminds me of actor Richard Cramer who played tough guy Nick Grainger in "Saps at Sea" with Laurel & Hardy. If you've seen the movie he is the escaped convict who hides out on Laurel & Hardy's boat then forces them to eat the synthectic food they prepared for him. I believe he also appeared in other L&H films also as the tough guy.

Mongo

Thanks for your reply, Mongo. Yes, I wondered at first if it wasn't Dick Tracy, but then decided that it was just a "mug" to represent any gangster in films. It's such a striking "mug"! There are thousands of classics that I've never seen, and probably never will in the short lifetime I have remaining, so I haven't seen the Laurel and Hardy film you mention. Like so many others, it will be added to my "wish list". Thanks again for you reply...at least I know that it's not a face that I should be expected to recognize (smile).