Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

April Schedule Up

sweetsmellofsuccess

La-DI-Dah. La-Di-Dah. Scrolling through the listings and seeing some nice things until....

Boom!

Start The Revolution Without Me! I loved this film when I was a teeenager.

Easy Living. Written by Preston Sturges.

Middle Of The Night Fredric March, Kim Novak from Delbert Mann

Zulu. Now I can see how that wonderful score is used in the film.

Glory. A classic for the ages.

Cool.

Kyle (don't think I didn't notice The Maltese Bibby too) In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk to add Middle Of The Night

I was just coming back to this thread to shout (as well as someone with laryngitis can) about Something Wild but I see you all have beat me to it.

I'm also excited to see Let No Man Write My Epitaph on the schedule. I've been wanting to see this again for a long time.

Di

I was just coming back to this thread to shout (as well as someone with laryngitis can) about Something Wild but I see you all have beat me to it.

Are you STILL sick? What's happened to you, Dangerous Di? We need to get you back up and firin'.

I'm also excited to see Let No Man Write My Epitaph on the schedule.

I'll be on the look out for that one. It looks to be very interesting.

I noticed that there are eight Glenn Ford films on the schedule and Hitchcock returns to TCM with twelve films in April. Fritz Lang = zero. (Sorry, I had to mention it, Kyle.)

I'm loving all the silents they're showing (one from 1908!), not only for my entertainment but to irk silent-hater leobertucelli. I've never managed to see Little Mister Jim with Butch Jenkins. And I am very thankful for the April Fools' day listings, since I get another chance to see Three Wise Fools! My eyes are still seeing scrambled pixels after watching Tuesday's airing. Thanks for the second chance, TCM!

Satyajit Ray's Apu trilogy is playing on consecutive weeks in April. This is excellent news particulary since Sony has withdrawn the DVDs and they are now going for ridiculous prices.

My god, they're showing Abel Gance on the 28th... Way to go TCM!

--

Terry Wallace

"Fritz Lang = zero. (Sorry, I had to mention it, Kyle.)" - FrankGrimes

I was going to let that pass this month. I didn't want to point out the painful.

And, I wonder. Is it perhaps not better to have an unfulfilled desire? Because once fulfilled what is left to look forward to everyday? Aren't the subsequent days diminished by the loss of something yet to come? (Cue Carly Simon.)

But there is an interesting Abel Gance evening with the silent J'Accuse in April.

Kyle In Hollywood

"I'm loving all the silents they're showing (one from 1908!), not only for my entertainment but to irk..." - patful

I sense the birth of a new superhero - "patful the spiteful", able to puncture pomposity with a simple keyboard. (aka - a fourth "Wise Fool".)

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi, Terry -- Satyajit Ray's Apu trilogy is playing on consecutive weeks in April. This is excellent news particulary since Sony has withdrawn the DVDs and they are now going for ridiculous prices.

Excellent point. I've yet to experience Ray's Apu trilogy and I'm excited to be given the opportunity by TCM.

Hey, Kylefornia -- I was going to let that pass this month. I didn't want to point out the painful.

And, I wonder. Is it perhaps not better to have an unfulfilled desire? Because once fulfilled what is left to look forward to everyday? Aren't the subsequent days diminished by the loss of something yet to come? (Cue Carly Simon.)

:D

I'm bursting with unfulfilled desires. How many sins are there again and are all of them deadly? :P

Gee, I was looking forward to TCM honoring Shirley Temple on her birthday on April 23rd But this year they are not at all :(

You would think that since this year Shirley turns 80, that TCM would go all out and honor her but, this is the first time that TCM does not show any of her movies they always had done in all the past April 23rds. I was so hoping for them to air as they always had done on April 23rd, KATHLEEN.

Maybe, just maybe TCM forgot about her birthday and that when April 23 comes around, they will air a few of her movies. I can hope, right?

Yes, Shirley did her movies at Fox . TCM each year on April 23rd was always showing THE LITTLE PRINCESS as this is a public domain title and then they would show KATHLEEN which is an MGM film and then they would show her teenage films.

I was really anxious for the April listings to come as I was so much wanting TCM to once again show KATHLEEN and so, I just do not understand why they are not and are ignoring Shirley's birthday, and, since she will turn 80, I had thought TCM would have shown the movies they could of hers. Maybe tcmprogrammer can let us know why they did not schedule some movies of Shirley's that they could have,especially KATHLEEN, on April 23.

Is it perhaps not better to have an unfulfilled desire?

No, Frank, it eats away at your very soul until you are a hollow shell of a man, prone to frequent periods of gibbering, narcolepsy, drooling, and posting on message boards.

It's nice to see that "The Trial" will be available. And the Apu Trilogy as well! I hope that "The Trial," "The General" and the Chaplin movies will be available in Canada. (Last Thursday they cancelled "Notorious" even though the TV schedules were still saying it was.)

MIDNIGHT, THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR, THE BUCCANEER (1938): TCM is finally starting to dig into the pre-1948 Paramount films in the Universal package (so, where're FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, IF I WERE KING, THE LIGHT THAT FAILED, GOLDEN EARRINGS, THE BIG CLOCK, THE MINISTRY OF FEAR, THE UNINVITED, IF I HAD WINGS, etc., etc., etc.?).

And UNION STATION from the post-'48 Paramount package from Paramount (and where are OMAR KHAYYAM, CRACK IN THE WORLD, etc., etc., etc.?).

Looks like another good lineup from TCM, I'm glad that they are a bunch of movies that I never saw before, or have missed so, I'll catch the this time. It should be interesting having Hedy Lamarr as the star of the month, I haven't seen that much of her work, but I want to. I'm looking forward towards April, as much as I always look foward to whats playing on TCM.

"No, Frank, it eats away at your very soul until you are a hollow shell of a man, prone to frequent periods of gibbering, narcolepsy, drooling, and posting on message boards." - patful

My friend, somedays you are too just witty for an old pragmatist like me. I've been laughing for ten minutes.

Do you think it would be a comfort for 'FrankGrimes' to take up building a fish pond?

As always, my condolences in regard to Big City.

Kyle In Hollywood

A couple other tidbits I dug out of the "daily" schedule listings -

The Spotlight Of The Month is "Riding The Rails" - films set on trains every Wednesday evening.

Films scheduled as part of "The Essentials" -

All About Eve

as part of a day-long salute to Bette Davis' 100th Birthday

Night Of The Hunter

the start of an evening devoted to Shelly Winters

The Misfits

leading into an evening devoted to Clark Gable

Paper Moon

as part of an evening saluting cinematographer Lazslo Kovas

Also the Guest Programmer in April (the 14th) is Alex Trebek who selected these films

The Professionals

Wuthering Heights

Lonely Are The Brave

Little Big Man

Kyle In Hollywood

It's good to have more Universal-controlled Paramounts on the schedule. I'd like to see the long-unseen The Unseen, a follow-up to The Uninvited (which last aired on TCM in June, I believe) also directed by Lewis Allen and co-starring Gail Russell.

Paramount should have the rights to both versions of The Buccaneer, having adapted the 1938 screenplay for the 1958 remake. Both are coming on TCM in February, the original version again in April.

The juvenile-delinquent-movie schedule April 28 looks like a hoot, especially for Stanley Baker, Fred Sears, Sal Mineo, and Robert Altman fans (or completists, depending on the film).

Kyle, in your first post in this thread I almost thought you meant 1968's "Boom!" was coming on TCM in April. I saw that once last year on Sundance, and that was enough.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings