Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sweetsmellofsuccess

April Schedule Up

Easy Living, The Major and the Minor, Midnight, and She Done Him Wrong are all coming to DVD on April 22 in the Universal Cinema Classics line. TCM is showing the first three in April.

Paramount should have the rights to both versions of The Buccaneer, having adapted the 1938 screenplay for the 1958 remake. Both are coming on TCM in February, the original version again in April.

I belive that the '38 version of THE BUCCANEER is held by Universal, not Paramount, despite the 1958 DeMille/Anthony Quinn remake needing access to the original's rights. The earlier version's airings have always seemed to come amid the others in that package of Universal-owned 1928-1948 Paramount titles.

I belive that the '38 version of THE BUCCANEER is held by Universal, not Paramount, despite the 1958 DeMille/Anthony Quinn remake needing access to the original's rights. The earlier version's airings have always seemed to come amid the others in that package of Universal-owned 1928-1948 Paramount titles.

Ah.

Another old Paramount film in Universal's clutches is Leo McCarey's Make Way for Tomorrow, which turned up in an Information, Please! query on this site recently. A user comment on IMDb goes so far as to state that film's premiere date and final air date on AMC in the '90s, but I don't think it's seen a national broadcast since (much less a home-video release in any format).

Kind of a lackluster month. But I'm excited about WHEN'S YOUR BIRTHDAY?; THE FALL GUY; MICHAEL; THE GHOST TRAIN; and, especially, MURDER IN THE PRIVATE CAR.

But I'm excited about WHEN'S YOUR BIRTHDAY?;

OH MY GOSH! I have been emailing them to show this movies for a year! I have it on VHS but whoo hoo!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Those Universal vaults need to be pried open, for not only do they have all those early Universal films, but also most of the better of the Paramount library (it's ok that TCM has post-1950 Paramounts to air this year, but I'd rather have stuff before 1950!). Is there anything we can do to help encourage that? Surely they must see the profit angle to opening those vaults and getting exposure for DVD releases, as Columbia/Sony and Paramount are doing? Man, I'd love to see TCM get rights to those earlier Universals and Paramounts!

Isnt Easy Living the film with Jean Arthur? I havent seen that film in eons! I hope it isnt on at 4am!

YAY!!!!!!!!! So many stars on the Paramount roster we rarely see.........

Would love to see more Universal-International films of the 50s including THE TATTERED DRESS with Jeanne Crain and Gail Russell, FOUR GIRLS IN TOWN, ALL I DESIRE, THE FEMALE ANIMAL with Jane Powell and Hedy Lamarr, FEMALE ON THE BEACH with Joan Crawford and Jeff Chandler, etc.

Now that TCM has more access to early Paramount product, I'm hoping some of Carole Lombard's more obscure films there will pop up -- especially as part of a 24-hour celebration on Monday, Oct. 6, when the centennial of her birth takes place.

VP,

I don't think it's done deal yet for most of the early Paramount films. If I am reading this thread correctly (and I freely admit I may have read it wrong), TCMProgrammr says they are working on Universal to gain more access to both the 1930-1948 Paramount Films owned by Universal as well as the Universal Film Library but while they have made some headway they aren't completely there yet..

Another excellent schedule. Some of the things I am looking forward to seeing after a number of years: Moulin Rouge, Enter Laughing, Men Are Such Fools, Tight Spot, and Intermezzo. Some interesting obscure films, among them I Love a Bandleader with Phil Harris and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone with two of my favorites, Marjorie Main and James Whitmore. I don't think I have seen the Leslie Caron Private Screenings, so that will be fun. And a new special on Gene Wilder. Add to that, the Abel Gance special and films!

TCMProgrammer: Thank you very much for your response!!! That's hopeful to know you are working on it! Please let us know as loyal viewers if there is anything we can do to help support that cause! Thanks! *keeping my fingers crossed!*

How excellent to have Hedy Lamarr as Star of the Month!

And, speaking of early Paramount films, does anyone know whether we might be seeing 1930's The Royal Family of Broadway? The one which brought Fredric March his first Oscar nomination for his impeccable imitation of The Great Profile?

TCM has shown some of the early sound Paramount features, in year's past including, "The Wild Party" (1929) that was Clara Bow's first "all-talking" picture, "Glorifying The American Girl" (1929) and of course all of the Marx Brothers features they made at Paramount between 1929 to 1933.

>TCMProgrammr says they are working on Universal to gain more access to both the 1930-1948 Paramount Films owned by Universal as well as the Universal Film Library but while they have made some headway they aren't completely there yet..

You say this over and over again. But look at these Paramount films from the 1930s and '40s that TCM has already been showing, some for many years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paramount_Pictures_films

In fact, could you point out the 1930s and '40s Paramount films on this list that TCM has not shown?

And look at all the Universal films from the '30s and '40s (among this list) that TCM has shown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Universal_Pictures_films

If Universal doesn't want to play ball what is TCM to do? Neither they nor Fox has ever been too anxious to work much with TCM. It's good they are talking.

We're getting Jean Arthur in "Easy Living." It's a small victory but a victory nonetheless.

>If Universal doesn't want to play ball

What do you mean "play ball"? We've been seeing universal films on TCM for years.

Bad news for foreign movie fans, The Apu trilogy has been removed from the April schedule. It's been replaced with Jean-Luc Godard's Contempt (I think this a TCM premier), Bunuel's Viridiana, and Josef von Baky's Munchhausen - all worthy films but Ray's trilogy would have been so much better. It's out of print and it would have nice for TCM to introduce these beautiful films to a wider audience. I hope TCM doesn't give and can show the trilogy at a future date.

--

Terry Wallace

Message was edited by: Terry_W

Ugh that's so annoying. I am a big fan of TCM imports so I was hugely looking forward to the Apu Trilogy. Munchhausen manages to be played like once a year as does Viridiana, sometimes more. Contempt I have already seen. That stinks, oh well, maybe in the future.