Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harryhausen!

joefilmone

Some of m y favorite Harryhausen moments- Medusa from "Clash of the Titans", Kali dancing from "Golden Voyage", The Allosaurus attacks the village in " One Millon Year B.C." and yes so many many more- thanks Ray for all the magic you brought to the screen.

This is certainly one of my favorite bad films. It's slow in so many parts, the acting and dialog can be stiff at other times. There are SO many drawbacks but, for me, Harryhausen's TELOS makes up for them all. I often forget it's a nice blend of FX, too, like the Neptune God rising up and holding back the crumbling cliffs.

The Telos 'battle' is a surprisingly long scene, and then the Harpies is another achievement in stop-action. And of course, the skeletons.

But I don't know why those clearly overcompensate for so many weaknesses - I've only seen this thing 100 times or more, and probably couldn't see it but a few hundred more. I have a feeling the people who dislike this film can be as correct AND over-the-top has Tom Hanks was in proclaiming it "the best picture ever" when he gave the Oscar to Ray H. Now if only Willis O'Brien had one delivered with such fervor.

Over all "Jason " is one of the best Harryhausen/Schneer productions. Beautiful photography, nice art direction and considering the low budget impressive. The weakness to me is the lead one would imagine this film needed a more dynamic actor. The Harryhausen sequences are perfectly integrated into the script- they are not just show stoppers.

Message was edited by: joefilmone

Message was edited by: joefilmone

Mike's comment about "amazing how I respond to (the skeleton fight)" is always what goes thru my mind. How can anyone enjoy this? I think there's such an incredible fascination with the technique, for one, and two, from early in the film, we donate a level of disbelief or acceptance and, from there, it's a rollercoaster ride. It really goes nowhere, but that doesn't change the thrills in the meantime.

Harryhausen and Willis O'Brien films are full of this. Even the dreadful creatures in JACK THE GIANT KILLER - so obviously painted - are still fun to watch. I can toss out all criticism and just cheer them on.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings