Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The File On Thelma Jordon

FilmFanaticFrankie

Where in the world has this movie been hiding!

Talk about your CLASSIC film-noir, this has to be right up there with the best. A most enjoyable film with an off-beat start and erratic pace, with cheating spouse implications.

The ironic twist in the courtroom sequences were pure genius.

Barbara Stanwyk gives a great femme-fatale performance along with a somewhat unsteady performance by Wendell Corey. There is never a dull moment, and you will get totally involved with a plot that may seem complicated but for some reason is easily grasped.

Let's hope this comes on again soon, because I sure would like to see it again!

Message was edited by: FilmFanaticFrankie

The plot perhaps was a "little too fancy" as Fred MacMuray says to Eddie in DOUBLE INDEMNITY and could have benefitted in my view from a shorter running time, but it was still pretty good. Not great, but a fairly satisfying Stanwyck noir vehicle. And did you notice Gertrude CAGED Hoffman as the old aunt?

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Hi Bronxie,

I've never seen CAGED, unfortunately, but I have seen that elderly actress before. You have a point about the length, it probably could have done with a little tighter editing. I think it's interesting the way it ended---not quite the Hollywood ending, at least not for Wendell Corey's character.

I agree about Wendell Corey at the end; I really didn't anticipate it quite that way.

CAGED is great; Gertrude Hoffman plays an old lifer who tells off cruel matron Hope Emerson.. (not an easy thing to do and still be in one piece, psychologically or physically)

Stanley Ridges who played Thelma Jordan`s defense attorney also costarred with Barbara in the 1937 film "Internes Can`t Take Money". I have never considered Wendall Corey bland, and he gave fine performances in "I Walk Alone" "The Accused" "Not Sad Song For Me", 'Holiday Affair", "Carbine Williams" and his two other movies with Barbara "Sorry Wrong Number" and "The Furies". Unfortunately, I missed his costarrting role in "Harriet Craig". Wendall was only 54 when he died in 1968.

How could I forget Stanley Ridges -- he was an underrated and largely forgotten character actor who always gave 100 per cent to any role. He was actually the unofficial star of BLACK FRIDAY, and took the acting honors away from Karloff. (well, to be fair to Boris, it was rather a stale role for him and he seemed to phone it in)

I USED to think Wendell Cory was nondescript, dull, and the perfect blank tablet for all the ball-busting actresses he worked with to project their character's wrath on, but I've found he has a quiet strength and always gives very thoughtful, measured performances. (I rediscovered him in HOLIDAY AFFAIR) He does project a lot of emotion underneath the surface. A very subtle actor, and a good one.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I enjoyed Stanwyck's performance immensely--she was so good at playing characters that are simultaneously good and bad. Wendell Corey's character is presented SO unsympathetically at the top of the film, though, that I had a hard time watching him and feeling any connection. He's at the office getting drunk because he's mad that his overbearing father-in-law has been invited over for dinner on his wedding anniversary. Dude, get a grip and grow up. He is just SO mean to his wife.

Sandy K