Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Soundtracks of our lives

casablancalover

I'm listening to the soundtracks of Picnic, Cinema Paradiso, Field of Dreams, Casablanca (natch) on my Ipod and I want to throw out this question. Has there ever been a time when you had an experience where you wanted (or even had!) a soundtrack playing to it? I've had that happen to me.

I was to meet a girlfriend to play golf. But it was the location of a big break-up many years before. When I arrived at the course, my CD of Field of Dreams was playing "The Place Where Dreams Comes True". But this where certain dreams died, and the emotional music brought me to tears. I didn't even get out of the car; I turned around and left.

Music is special and adds soul to a movie. Whenever my husband and I go out and there's live music, we always asked if they can play, "As TIme Goes By" (it's our song) and we heard many variations through the years. I can always use some added soul to my life.

Message was edited by: casablancalover

I have the soundtrack of the great Bernard Hermann's score for Hitchcock's "VERTIGO." I was listening to it while I was riding the subway. Eyes closed, riding the #1 Local...it lulled me into such a deliciously sweet pain of melancholy, that I missed my subway stop.

>Has there ever been a time when you had an experience where you wanted (or even had!) a soundtrack playing to it? I've had that happen to me.

Quite often. Since I was a kid, and without a CD, Ipod, or tape player with me. I'm not sure if I actually "hear" the music, but I "feel" it. Usually when something in real life strongly reminds me of something in a movie.

Like when sometimes something weird would happen and I would think "do de do do, do de do do" (twilight zone theme). And sometimes I would "feel" the theme song to "The High and the Mighty" whenever I was flying into a thunder storm, and more rousing disaster music when I was bouncing around in an airliner in a thunder storm. I haven't been able to take a shower without locking the bathroom door since 1960 (psycho), and sometimes I still hear those screeching violins.

I have history of collections music from movies and tv, I just to love to play "name that tune.." and watch folks try to remember what that music goes to most of the time they knew it but couldn't remember what it went to..some of the most haunting music I have ever heard is from the Eastwood westerns, , Enzio Marricone music is very addicting especially if you listen with headphones,, it seems to surround you and take over...

I love Ennio Morricone's Cinema Paradiso and Days of Heaven. And when I need some "triumph" music to face a difficult day, try his Untouchables theme. It's used in the "100 years--100 films short" they show on TCM from time to time. What an eclectic style!

Bernard Herrmann's also a favorite. I have a goal of enjoying a Hollywood Bowl concert featuring his music sometime. He also doesn't have a "style"--he seemed to write in total emotional connection to the movie; for instance, when he wrote the score for Verigo, he relied heavily on Wagnerian themes. The story is almost operatic, with it's passion and lost love and redemption! And then, he wrote the score for North by Northwest.

I always felt John Boorman used set classical works where he could in his Excaliber because Bernard Herrmann wasn't around anymore.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings