Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wonderful Suzanne Pleshette Has Died

Guest dredagain

Just wanted to add my voice to all of those who have expressed sadness on hearing about the death of Ms. Pleshette and also have shown an appreciation for her wonderful career. I was big fan, with a big "crush" from when I was a teenager growing up in Brooklyn (and proud of yet another Brooklynite becoming successful). There were so many things to like about her; her sense of humor and playful fun, her ability to play drama and comedy equally well, her sexiness (naughty but never vulgar), and of course that Great, throaty voice. She never achieved breakthrough stardom as a movie actress, but all her fans knew how much she added to all the movies she appeared in, many of which were only modest successes, but which would have been even less so without her. And of course her relationship with Bob Newhart in his great 70s sitcom was the heart and soul of that show. She was one terrific performer, and I'm so pleased to see that she had many, many fans within the TCM family who appreciated her work.

Pleshette was infamously married to Troy Donahue (8 months) then to a businessman for many years... she married Poston 40 YEARS!! after they worked together in a play on Broadway.

Pleshette was one of those actresses who always exuded warmth and intelligence---a rare combo indeed in this day of star bimbos.

Tricia,

Suzanne Pleshette and Tom Poston had worked together in a show back in the late 1950s. They dated and romanced but ended up marrying different people.

Both were widowed after very long marriages in 2000. It was then they rekindled their romance from almost 40 years back and married within the year.

Tom Poston passed away at 79 years old last April.

Suzanne Pleshette, who had undergone chemotherapy for lung cancer, was 70 when she passed away a few days ago.

ROME ADVENTURE (1962), is a good film. I remember recording it for my Mother about 10 years ago on the old American Movie Classics. The beautiful Italian Melody "AL DI LA" was the films Theme song. I believe sang by Jerry Vale? Famed Trumpet master Al Hirt, was also in this picture.

My Mom was a big Troy Donahue fan, and really liked Suzanne as well. They made a very nice couple in the movie. To bad that wasn't the case in real life. I wonder if this movie is on DVD?

Ms. Pleshette was a wonderful actress, and will be missed. My Mother was the same age, when She passed away in 2002.

I'll remember Suzanne Pleshette for the fun she provided in SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

(perfectly teamed with James Garner, the way they played off each other). I'll remember her Annie Hayworth in THE BIRDS. Instead of presenting Annie as a lovelorn, suffering-in-silence victim of a terminated love affair, her Annie is direct, honest with herself and, in order to be near Mitch Brenner (Rod Taylor), she stays as friend to the man she still loves. Annie has admirable qualities, ultimately sacrificing her own safety and life to protect the school children from the attacking birds. But, with perception and skill, Suzanne Pleshette makes Annie shine (in an ostensibly simple role) as an unobtrusive person of character, and not one who bears her disappointments and unfulfilled life as a burden. (Screenplay writer Evan Hunter and director Alfred Hitchcock obviously contributed to her interpretation.)

Unfortunately for me, for some inexplicable reason I never saw her in the Bob Newhart sitcom.

I missed out on a lot of fun.

Madeleine2322

Hi, Madeleine -- That's a wonderful assessment of Suzanne Pleshette's "Annie Hayworth" in The Birds. I happen to agree with all of it.

"Annie Hayworth" is one of my all-time favorite supporting characters in a Hitch film and it's because of Suzanne's performance. Her wise straight-talk actually reminds me a little of Ava Gardner.

Of the words you wrote about Annie, I believe this one to be the most important: sacrificing. I'm in the process of writing about The Birds in another forum and I will definitely talk more about Annie there. I believe Annie's surface sacrifice is for the kids but her true sacrifice is for Mitch Brenner (Rod Taylor).

R.I.P., Suzanne.

I don't know what happened; I must have touched the wrong key in that only a few words were typed and then whisked away to appear as an incoherent beginning of a message. I'll start again. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF is listed in TCM's monthly movie list for this coming Friday at 9:45 PM (EST), followed by SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER (with Joan Hackett).

11:30 PM (EST). Both very funny.

Madeleine2322

always loved the way rod taylor and tippi hedren discover suzanne's body in 'the birds' '63, particularly the way her legs were twisted as if she'd been in a terrific struggle before she fell. as a little kid i was... not frightened---haunted--- by her loss in that film.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF is listed in TCM's monthly movie list for this coming Friday at 9:45 PM (EST), followed by SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER (with Joan Hackett).

11:30 PM (EST). Both very funny.

Hi Madeline 2332,

Just to avoid confusion among viewers who haven't seen either of these two movies: Suzanne Pleshette co-stars with James Garner in Support Your Local Gunfighter, not Sheriff. Joan Hackett appears in Support Your Local Sheriff. You're not the first person to confuse the two movies and interchange the leading ladies; I used to do it myself until I had seen the one with Suzanne a few times.

My fave of her films is *Blackbeard's Ghost*. I've loved that one since I was kid and that's how I'll always think of her. I couldn't find a pic of her from that one so here's one from *The Birds* instead which is my second fave movie of hers.

The%20Birds%20Alfred%20Hitchcock%20Tippi%20Hedren%20Suzanne%20Pleshette%20pic%201.jpg

Thanks again, Frank. You give me a real high with your comments, especially since I've learned to respect your opinions and the underlying intelligence and perceptivity.

My trifocals failed me again. I put Suzanne Pleshette in the wrong film. "Sheriff" instead of

James Garner's "Gunfighter." I'm (belatedly) seeing my opthalmologist early next month.

Brevity 101 just might be working. Further tests are needed.

Madeleine 2322

Thank you, CineMaven (great name!) for being so complimentary. You warm this old girl's heart.

Ava never occurred to me while I was writing, but how right you are! And how perceptive. I greatly admired Ava Gardner, underrated as an actress, and she herself suffered from a sense of insecurity about her ability. She had the native intelligence to learn, improving with each picture, doing outstanding work in such films as MOGAMBO, NIGHT OF THE IGUANA

BHOWANI JUNCTION, EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE, etc. I admired her honesty, directness, her aversion to phonies, living her private life on her terms, handling her disappointments and unhappiness privately, although her turbulent marriage to Sinatra made headlines she couldn't control.From what I've read, including her autobiography, she seemed to experience more misery than happiness but did not cry or whine about it. While she enjoyed fame, travel and material benefits from her profession, a far cry from her young life as a tenant farmer's daughter in Grabtown, North Carolina, I sensed that she longed for the stability of a happily married, family life. Trade-offs. She never found a stable, lasting love to fulfill her womanly longings, and she died relatively alone in London. A talented, beautiful, gutsy lady.

Madeleine2322

Message was edited by: Madeleine2322

P.S. Frank, I forgot to tell you how much more perceptive you are than I am. Of course, Annie sacrificed herself for Mitch Brenner, the ultimate sacrifice for the man she loves.I should have perceived that, but there's just so much one can expect from one of my advanced years. The cobwebs amass in the attic and the wrinkled brain turns to mush.

Madeleine2322

I try to be coherent in my messages, but in editing my original message part of the second paragraph was somehow deleted. I was expressing my admiration of Ava Gardner, since Suzanne Pleshette had been likened to her. Ava'sr being underrated as an actress and her own sense of insecurity about her ability always stayed with her. She learned how to act on the job (presumably from Lillian Burns, Metro's drama coach) and by her own native intelligence.

Madeleine2322

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings