Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SEA HAWK (1924) On Tonight!

gagman66

Everybody,

Just wanted to be sure to mention, they are running this film on TCM's Silent Sunday Nights this evening. If you want to see it, than you had better watch or record it tonight! The last time the picture was shown was in 1999, or 2000! This is a 1994 restoration, and has a Robert Israel score. It has not, and probably never will be released on DVD! The print is superb too!

The fact that this movie is one of only a Couple-Three First-National Silent's that TCM has ever taken out of the vaults, makes this an even rarer occasion than it would be otherwise! While Warner's seems to still have the rights to most of the surviving First National Silent features, including several Colleen Moore, and Richard Barthelmess films, almost none of them have been restored, and scored! This one has!

THE SEA HAWK starrs Milton Sills who was a movie giant during the Silent Days. Today He is completely forgotten, because so few of his films have survived. And those that do, are not readily available either. The lead actress is Australian born Enid Bennett. Who some of you may have seen in films like Douglas Fairbank's ROBIN HOOD (1922), as Maid Marion, and Fred Niblo's THE RED LILY (1924), opposite Ramon Novarro. Bennett, was a very popular actress in Silent films.

The supporting cast is very good as well, with handsome Lloyd Hughes, Burly Wallace Beery, and A young Lionel Barrymore. Frank Lloyd is the Director, and again a very accomplished, and famed film-maker who's name is not all that well remembered today. This film was lauded for it's epic Sea battles when it was first released. Unfortunately, most of that Battle-Footage now appears to be lost? So while the film is not in-tact, the story still holds up quite well.

Ed,

Yes, I recorded this on Super VHS-ET, that last time it was on, but over the course of time, lost track of the tape. Fortunately, I was able to get a copy from Kyle a couple years ago, and later on an ever better one from Scottman last year.

I watched this movie late one night about 9 months ago, when I couldn't sleep, but I have to be honest in saying that I do not remember it that well. Although several other folks I talked to who have seen it thought it was great.

I intend to record it again, because everything I have had up till now were either Standard VHS, or Super-VHS ET transfers. DVD recording hadn't even been introduced yet? Or was just starting out? However, I think this movie is pretty long? So I need to figure out the speed to use?

Ed,

My new DVD recorder has a 2.33 Minute recording mode. So I will use that.

I will also use the PC Tuner Card, but just in case that buckles, which happens frequently, I will have the Stand-Alone recording too.

Your own DVD recorder has to have other recording Speeds besides just SP! Search on the remote, and you should be able to find them? Maybe you need to go to the Set-up menu, it could be in that portion?

when I record on VHS it gives me speed choices, but not for recording on DVD... it's just SP... I have not idea what the PC card thing is....

I don't mind recording on VHS.....

Ed,

Please note, your DVD recorder should have the following recording Speeds. SP is the default speed. XP is the Highest Speed, it only records for an hour on a Single-layer disc. SP is 2 hours, or slightly over. On my newest machine the next speed is SSP. This is just over 2 hours and 30 minutes. I have only had the machine for about a Month, and this and SP are the only two speed's I ever use.

Most recorder's have at least XP, SP, LP (3 hrs.), and EP (4 hrs.). I doesn't matter what brand you have, they all have some of these speeds, and many brands have them all!

My old Panasonic had a squeeze mode where somehow if you recorded with this feature activated, it managed to fit the entire movie on the disc, when you would normally have run out of Space. This worked with SP, and I assume all speed's? SP is he only one that I ever tried it with. Some brands have a 6 hr speed? I assume the quality is not very good though? I have never recorded anything lower than EP, which is 3 hours on most brands of these Machines.

A PC-Turner Card is more flexible. I mostly use DVD Medium, or DVD High. But there are about a dozen variations with both these speeds! Filter settings, Sharp, Soft, Medium,tone, automatic focus, Variable Bit-Rates etc. Most of the time the difference between DVD Medium, and DVD High is barely perceptible. I rarely use digital noise reduction, because the image, has less detail, and often doesn't seem as Sharp? It's kind of a joke really!

Unfortunately, DVD High limits you to right at, or just over 90 minutes recording time. If you want to add menu's and such to your programs, before burning like I do, you'll run out of space in a hurry! That's why allot of the time I have to use DVD Medium. Which is what I will use for THE SEA HAWK tonight.

I could record everything on DVD High, and burn strictly to Dual-Layer Media, but it is expensive, and every time I try this I seem to get a bunch of errors? I've never had good luck with Dual-Layer DVD-R's! Most of the time they do not work!

Of course all of this applies to the old Standard of MPEG 2 recording. The new Standard of AVI and MPEG 4 format's are rapidly starting to take over. Thus far my early experiments with these new format's have been an adventure! They have not gone very well! Files balooning, up in size, not reading properly for burning. etc. I must be missing some sort of Plug-in that could fix most of these problems? I have no idea what it is?

Yes Jeff.... we've gone over this before but I can't find all this stuff so it must be buried. When I set up a timed taping on DVD it doesn't offer me speeds, at least not like it does on VHS.... but then I haven't spent much time looking into it since VHS tapes just fine anyway.... I don't have the patience to spend an hour figuring out a taping...

Ed,

My remote control for my new recorder has a button that says "Recording Mode". You probably have a similar button on your DVD Recorders remote? So just push the button, and fan through the Speeds that you have on your unit.

Whatever speed you select, is the speed you are using for recording. It makes no difference if you are watching or setting the timer. The speed you selected with the remote is what you are recording at, unless you change it. Sorry if I am getting on your nerves!

Great film!!!! Great Robert Israel score!!!!

The only problem with the print is that the sound was quite a notably low level, and in the scenes where the action was slow you can barely hear it at a conventional level.

Hopefully, somebody will fix that issue... and I suppose I know who is going to do that!

Sooner or later, a recording will surface in Cine-Cl?sico as well.

Now, TCM has to premiere the Robert Israel scored version (in 2005) of THE BLACKBIRD, which they have already shown in their sister channel in Spain, at least.

Jorge,

Unfortunately, something went wrong, and I did not get all of this movie on the computer. However, I did get it all on the stand-alone recorder. But the ATI Card stopped recording after 2 hours! I am really upset!

I already had copies of this one from both Kyle, and Scottman, so not a huge deal, but it has not been shown for such a long time. Certainly the first chance to get it with a DVD-Recorder, or PC-Card.

In all honesty, while I enjoyed the movie, it is rather flatly photographed by 1924 standards. In comparison with James Cruze OLD IRONSIDES, released only a couple years later in 1926, THE SEA HAWK looks like it was made in 1916, rather than 1924! However, I was watching it in Wide-screen on my PC Monitor, as my monitor is designed that way. It actually looked much better in wide screen, than it did in 4.3 aspect ratio! I wonder why that is?

This restoration from 1994, looked OK, but not as good, as I thought I remembered it being? A little softer transfer than I expected. Anyway, I will rip the stand alone recording back into the hard-drive, so it will be complete. So no real harm done, unless the rip runs over capacity!

yup have that one too but I didn't like it much.....

I got halfway through taping THE SEA HAWK before I realized I already have it... LOL

Rum, indeed Mr. Osborne, with a medeira chaser! And eyepatches were used to cover one eye and flipped up when going below deck to help them see in the dark- ingenious! But velvet pantaloons and hose were not so practical. Set designer Fred Gabourie and costume boss Walter J. Israel are the stars of this one and the tinting was exquisite. This seems like a vanity piece for Vincent Price look-a-like Milton Sills who seemed to be using broad stage acting compared with the deft film acting of Wallace Beery (who taught Gloria Swanson to drive when they were married, although she soon after left him in her dust.) Did I doze off with my big mug of hot milk, honey and nutmeg and miss the fabulous sea scenes? ACROSS TO SINGAPORE (1928) with Ramon Novarro has spectacular footage of the fury and power of the sea which I expected here. I'll look for this footage in the Errol Flynn remake. Astonishing work by Fred Gabourie with the ship construction.

Yeah, Ed but all of them? Those scenes must be on entire lost reels, but Bob said in his intro that they were used in the remake so...? There were a few sea birds that gave me hope- no albatross though. Oh well, great film for the historical content but my favourite scene was at the the end with Uncle Wally.

Also, saw your great review of WAY DOWN EAST on IMdb- must find Blackhawk vhs of this one, for the original score.

hey thanks.... I even rented WAY DOWN EAST from netflix and the score was the same lousy one I already had... even I could have created something better than that 5-note dirge.

LOL ya right.... I don't imagine I made much impression when I was there... but I did like Rochester. I grew up in Maine so the cold doesn't bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings