Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Tonight (Tues March 6) while watching THE COBWEB and then LILITH picture would freeze for a couple of seconds.  Switched to other channels and did not experience same problem.  So only on TCM.  I will contact my cable provider if it reoccurs.   But, if any others have same problem please advise.

Thank you,

Steve QL

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have directv and tcm hd channel 256 and tcm has been frezzing and judder and plexation for over 6 months now and they don't fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SteveQL said:

Tonight (Tues March 6) while watching THE COBWEB and then LILITH picture would freeze for a couple of seconds.  Switched to other channels and did not experience same problem.  So only on TCM.  I will contact my cable provider if it reoccurs.   But, if any others have same problem please advise.

Thank you,

Steve QL

Watched same as above on regular TV with COX cable provider and experienced no problems with TCM "Live" broadcasts that night. More than likely your problems lie somewhere between your TV and your TV cable provider.

4 hours ago, mono01 said:

i have directv and tcm hd channel 256 and tcm has been frezzing and judder and plexation for over 6 months now and they don't fix it.

Haven't watched everything to cross compare with you guys, but regarding regular TV with "live" broadcasts (using  COX TV and cable provider) I have experienced very few problems and nothing of any consistent relevance in the last year plus. There have been a few outages, power and signal wise. And a couple of times when audio/video was out-of-sync, also those damn periodic "Warning System Check" interruptions (all provider issues). But otherwise, nothing related directly with TCM.
But I only receive Standard Definition and NOT HD with TCM, so that may be a significant difference as I've heard others trying to watch TCM on an HD channel having similar problems. I know that most of what TCM broadcasts has never been available in HD format (with a few recent 2-4 K digital conversion specialty exceptions), so that may be part of the problem with an HD channel, but not exactly sure about that????
If you have a Standard Definition TCM channel available, I suggest trying that and see if the problems persist there or not?
In either event I would imagine that your issues more directly relate to your TCM TV "DirectTV" provider as opposed to problems originating directly from TCM.

However regarding the TCM Streaming Services, and especially their WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND, there have been and are numerous, regularly reoccurring problems originating with TCM, the vast majority appearing to be the result of human "error" or "negligence" by TCM staff....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  Freezing problem was only on HD version of films.  On my other non HD SD TV picture did not freeze.   Had both TVS on to compare.  No problem, so far, this morning (3/7) on HD TCM broadcast.  But, again problem was only on TCM (HD) not on any other channels.

Not going to call my cable provider unless problem reoccurs. Is always a hassle dealing with my provider.

Thanks again,

SteveQL

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveQL said:

Thank you.  Freezing problem was only on HD version of films.  On my other non HD SD TV picture did not freeze.   Had both TVS on to compare.  No problem, so far, this morning (3/7) on HD TCM broadcast.  But, again problem was only on TCM (HD) not on any other channels.

Not going to call my cable provider unless problem reoccurs. Is always a hassle dealing with my provider.

Thanks again,

SteveQL

 

The common experience with both TV service and ISP providers is to "blame the other guy" anyway. And when it comes to TCM, we are unable to get any kind of response from them regarding anything.
But yes, if you check these boards you will find other concerns similar to yours regarding TCM and HD.
Considering that aside from very recent movie broadcasts (which generally occur during 31 Days of Oscar month) and a very few of the recent HD digital conversions on a few of the "classics," all of the movies that TCM broadcasts are native SD. So there likely wouldn't be any noticeable difference anyway when viewing them from an HD channel, and especially not unless one is also viewing them on a HD TV set or monitor.
In addition to that, there does appear to be some kind of equipment issue that has been mentioned before here when an HD channel attempts to "upscale" a SD product to HD, evidently sometimes causing problems that have been described here. I don't know if there is any legitimate merit to that, since I neither watch TCM from an HD channel, nor is my larger screen monitor capable of true HD viewing (still only 720p). So I am unable to compare or contrast the two at my end.

But thanks for the extra info as that helps out a lot when asking others to cross check a potential problem with you.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again.  However, if a TCM movie is played in SD on my HD TV --- picture is too small (letterbox) if was produced in pre- wide screen era (typically pre 1954).  If I try to use TV's aspect setting to enlarge  then picture overflows screen.  My cable provider has few full HD versions of movies even though I pay a fortune for services (TV and internet). Thus,  a problem except on my second TV being SD  (not wide screen).  SD programs fill screen and if letterbox  then has black bar at top and bottom.

Thanks again,

 

SteveQL

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

So there likely wouldn't be any noticeable difference anyway when viewing them from an HD channel, and especially not unless one is also viewing them on a HD TV set or monitor.

You stated it well!  Just switched TCM TEA AND SYMPATHY FROM HD to SD on my HD TV and, of course, tiny picture due to letter boxed.   A few hours ago TCM played some early 50's films so could watch in either HD or SD and picture appeared the same.

Thanks again,

SteveQL

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...