Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

POPEYE dvds

Factotum

This is one character I haven't collected yet because I think I'm almost solely interested in the Fleischer years - that great Sinbad one and the Allibaba one. I haven't seen those in many years but I've seen a Fleischer's retrospective of their other works and was amazed to learn they were using 3, 4 and even 9-pane backgrounds for their work. Some amazing effects, those guys.

I think the effects of modern CGI cartoons are pretty great until I pull out PINOCCHIO or some of the Fleischer works.

Poopdeck Pappy wasn't introduced into the comic strip until very late in the life of it's creator, Segar. There aren't that many of the animated cartoons that have him in them, either. He seems to drop from the series entirely for most of the 1940's, and I think only one or two in the 50's. One of those has certainly been hard to see over the years, "POPEYE'S PAPPY" (1952) if not impossible, because the locale is set in a jungle, in which Pappy has made himself king of a tribe of cannibals.

The second set is not coming out in the giant collection the first did, in fact it's only going to be one disc this time, covering the years 1938-40. The last of the Fliescher cartoons was BABY WANTS A BOTTLESHIP (1942). The subsequent releases made by Paramount's cartoon studio, Famous, were made by Fliescher's staff, and are still quite funny, at least for a few years.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings