Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BURT I LOVE YOU

Bronxgirl48

Burt Lancaster is one of my favorite actors. I've loved everything he ever did. (even THE RAINMAKER) Incredibly versatile, charismatic, energetic but subtle, with great control and yet with great passion (he's a true Scorpio), I can't say enough about him.

From COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA, to FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, to SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, to BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ, to (finally) his Oscar winning role in ELMER GANTRY,

Burt's one of the greats.

Here is the part I love best in ELMER GANTRY. Note how in his smile and body language in the last stanza of "I'm on my way", he presents us with charmingly sinister foreshadowing: (and that's me, ND2525, putting the same comment on YouTube)

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Whew! I was hoping it wasn't going to turn out to be Reynolds. :P

I love him with Gary in Vera Cruz. He's so naughty and whips out that 10,000 watt smile at the most strategic moments that it breaks me up. Would I love to have been on that location shoot.

My favorite Burt performances tend to be his straight dramatic or romantic leads, topped by his burly but bright alcoholic in *Separate Tables* and From Here to Eternity (in which he actually has some of the best lines in the movie). Speaking of lines, physically he is perfection with just about the most pleasing physique of any man in Hollywood.

Burt%20Lancaster.jpg

No, not that Burt! (and when he "appeared" in Playgirl I actually wasn't even interested)

I think he's underrated in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY. I even like him as the good-natured oaf (Anna Magnani calls him something along the lines of "a clown with the body of a Greek god"; she got that last part right) in THE ROSE TATTOO.

Haven't seen VERA CRUZ, but I'll bet it'll come up on the Western Channel!

Ever see him in A CHILD IS WAITING? He is formidable, yet so tender with the children.

What a man!

The strangest Burt Lancaster film I ever saw was at the Denver FIlm Fest which was "The Swimmer". This movie is not for everyone, but everyone I know who's seen it admits that it's one-of-a-kind. Burt Lancaster is flat-out powerful in the lead, as the man who decides one day to swim his way through his neighbors' pools to his home. As he makes his way pool by pool we learn more and more about Burt's real character. A kaleidoscopic study of how we see ourselves, versus how others see us. One of my favorites, please give this movie a shot!

Ever see him in A CHILD IS WAITING? He is formidable, yet so tender with the children.

What a man!

Oh yes! I really like that movie, which makes it about only the second or third movie with Judy Garland I do like. I wanted them to get together (in the film)!!! It's a very tender story. He could show great sensitivity which is always extraordinarily attractive in a big, macho guy. Especially when it's such a gorgeous, big, macho guy. :D

He's also cute in the tongue-in-cheek pirate movies he did which show off his terrific athleticism.

Have you seen his elegant gravitas in Il Gattopardo (The Leopard)?

Great slideshow! One of my favorite "below the radar" westerns which features a young Burt Lancaster is *Vengeance Valley* (on dvd). It co-stars Robert Walker who turns in another twisted baddie performance, which leads me to ponder if this is the direction he career would have continued to take had he lived longer. But is mostly at a low boiling point throughout which works for the character but borders on being sullen.

Have you ever seen Kevin Spacey do his impression of Burt, Bronxie? It's hilarious and spot on.

LOL, yeah, Kevin does a great Burt! (and I love his Pacino too)

Haven't seen VENGEANCE VALLEY; Robert Walker is an added bonus. Or THE LEOPARD.

I'm going to watch all of DESERT FURY -- it's on YouTube!

Bronxie, would you be able to get back to us with your opinion of "Desert Fury" once you've checked it out? I already know you're ga-ga about Burt, (he's yummy) but let us know your thoughts on Lizabeth, Astor and the others as well. Wouldja, huh...wouldja, wouldja??

Girls, I just saw DESERT FURY. It's unique, all right, Miss G! CineMaven, it's a gem!

Where do I START??? First of all, does this fit into the category of western noir? Unlike Wendell Cory (auspicious debut is putting it mildly; HE STEALS THE PICTURE) I like the desert (he wants to scram out of there) -- and this has the most awesome Southwest scenery since another color noir, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. Welcome to "Chuckawalla"!!

I'd only seen Lizabeth Scott once, in THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, and wasn't too impressed. (her part had some bad dialogue) That's all changed now. From the first shot of her striking face in the car, she immediately held my attention. Vulnerable, willful, tomboyish yet very sexy, with that distinctive husky voice, I was mesmerized. Now on to Mary Astor, an unsung screen beauty, and one of its greatest underrated actresses. She must have loved getting away from playing mothers and into the role of Fritzi, Lizzie's mother. Her scenes with Scott crackle. All the dialogue does.

Burt is the upright sheriff, and he's already showing his distinctive quiet power.

The relationships between the characters are fascinating, and very twisted, especially Eddie (a sinister John Hodiak) and his "nursemaid" (as he calls him) Johnny, played by Wendell. I won't give anything away, except to say that alter egos and the Jekyll/Hyde story play a part. Seems Eddie's wife met with a nasty "accident" on a bridge. Who knocked her off?

I love this movie.

"Turn that wheel!!"

Your words are a wonderful read Bronxgirl (as usual). You've made me re-live the movie by reading your thoughts. I love seeing something through someone else's eyes who hasn't seen a particular film before. And you liked it...you really liked it. (Even better). Eddie and Johnny...willfully tomboyish & husky-voiced Lizabeth. And Astor, sublime. Thanxxx for answering me, Bronxie.

And now Ms.Goddess...it's your turn. I want to hear from you now. Yo Frank, are you out there. You're not off the hook either.

Howdy, BronxieGirl -- I just wanted to second CineMaven's complimentary words. I loved your wonderfully-written commentary on Desert Fury. You sure know how to paint with words.

Heya, CineBaby -- Yo Frank, are you out there.

Uh-huh.

You're not off the hook either.

No? I'm still on the hook for many other things and you definitely know one of those hooks.

Hi, Miss Goddess -- As for Frank, well, if that website remains up for another year or so.... :P

Of all people! I would have never dreamed of you taking a shot at me, Miss Rio Grande.

sorrywrongnumber1.jpg

Thanks, Frank. . I didn't know what to expect going into DESERT FURY and now it's one of my favorite noirs. Was really knocked out by Wendell Corey and Lizabeth Scott. And Mary Astor as the tough sister is superb but then she always is.

This is really a cult classic.

Hey, BronxBabe! -- Thanks, Frank. . I didn't know what to expect going into DESERT FURY and now it's one of my favorite noirs. Was really knocked out by Wendell Corey and Lizabeth Scott. And Mary Astor as the tough sister is superb but then she always is.

I always enjoy reading your recaps, B. Your words are always so full of energy and life... just like you.

Hi, Missy G -- Put that phone down, Frank. I'm no weepy Barbara Stanwyck.

Ohh, you are so very right about that. Stanwyck would actually pick up:

sorrywrongnumber4.jpg

Not weepy? Not weepy? Aren't you the one who said this: "you don't mind if I'm a little sappy too"?

A "little" sappy, Little Sappy?

How Weepy Was Your Valley

howgreenwasmyvalley1.jpg

Burt Lancaster in Sorry, Wrong Number

sorrywrongnumber2.jpg

sorrywrongnumber3.jpg

sorrywrongnumber5.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings