Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bronxgirl48

BURT I LOVE YOU

Insane or not, a flash of that smile will get us into trouble.

JHM.jpg

I've always liked this picture of the artist applying the tattoos.

JH4.jpg

Bronxgirl, Sunday Dinner For A Soldier will come on tomorrow at 7:31am.

oooooh! Are those MY initials I see being applied to John Hodiak? They should add my phone number, too.

Hi Broxgirl,

I would like to mention my favorite of Burt?s later roles in LOCAL HERO, a perfect example of Bill Forsythe?s directing and quirky screenplays (GREGORY?S GIRL, COMFORT AND JOY and HOUSEKEEPING.) Burt plays Felix Happer an eccentric oilman who attempts to buy a Scottish town where he intends to build his planetarium. (I think the oil refinery is only secondary in his ambitions.) Burt does a marvelous job of exploring the humanity of a relatively minor role; there is a sweet sort of mania to his eccentricities.

I mention the role because of Burt?s brilliant performance and because this is a place and time I know well. The scene where Peter Riegert is standing on the balcony looking out on the city is so familiar even now. I knew this location and I knew Houston at this time: Greenway Plaza at sun set in mid summer. . .it was really beautiful. . .ah well, what once was is no more. I live in Houston and I dream of Austin.

metsfan, I just now saw your post where you mention SUNDAY DINNER FOR A SOLDIER is coming on but you were probably talking about early this (Sunday) morning. I missed it yet again, darn it. You are so sweet to keep reminding me, but my timing is always off. Godfrey Daniel!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

John was pretty hot in LIFEBOAT. Haven't seen LADY WITHOUT A PASSPORT though.

Do you prefer him with or without the 'tache? (I think I asked this once before so if you answered already, you can ignore this question)

I love Local Hero, and Burt's stargazing tycoon is refreshingly not stereotypical. In fact the whole movie takes stereotypes and turns them upside down and sideways. I think Burt's movies challenged the practice of putting people into categories, and if there is a prevailing theme in his work it is that no one is what you expect them to be.

Do you prefer him with or without the 'tache? (I think I asked this once before so if you answered already, you can ignore this question)

Hi Bronxie---i don't think i've answered the question before...I like him with his little sweeper. Some faces just look "naked" until they grow a mustache and John Hodiak's was one. I'm trying to think if I have ever seen him in a color movie. He had such beautiful light eyes and dark hair that he must have been striking.

I agree with you. And Burt played against type so often -- I really thought he was fine in COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA, for example.

Bronxgirl, just as a reminder ahead of time, you've got another chance to watch Manhunt. This Friday at 6am. Hope you can see it.

Out of curiosity, what are everyone's thoughts on his performance as Starbuck (The Rainmaker)? I know the film is hated my many but this conman gave great speeches reminiscent of Elmer Gantry. Burt could do it all.

rainmaker-2.jpg

Thanks to you I DID see the beginning of MANHUNT when it was on last time.

You've been great in giving me advance times for SUNDAY DINNER FOR A SOLDIER but unfortunately my timing has been off for it. I did see it years ago but would really love to catch it again.

Burt's good in THE RAINMAKER. Kate's performance takes some getting used to even though she's believable playing spinsters as she's done many times. The entire production is very stagy, but I think overall it works. It's going to be on TCM soon and I'm looking forward to re-accessing it.

I like "The Rainmaker". I think there is a place in the world for stagy.... Then again, I come from a theatre background. I do have to be in the mood for it though.

Indeed, metsfan, Burt mastered everything from the high-society columnist to the two-bit truckdriver with the same ease. ''Come Back, Little Sheba'' is one of my fav Burt movies. It is so complex on many levels and has an inkling to prove you wrong. You expect Burt to put the moves on his young female tennant but there's more than meets the eye. He actually grows a fatherly affection for her out of his frustration of not having a child of his own. Then, there's his tangled relationship with his mousey and sumbmissive wife. If you wonder why they are stuck with each other if all they do is tear each other apart at the seams you are in for a big shocker. Their feelings run deep and they need each other in order to go on. The film offers a heartfelt glimpse into an odd marriage, splintered hopes, missed out opportunities and human loneliness. And you don't have to be Dr Freud to figure out that little Sheba, the fluffy, white little dog(the youth) that Mrs Delaney has lost is never coming back.

The ''Rainmaker'' is equally good. Burt plays the conman so convincingly and the scenes with Catharine in the barn where he helps her to overcome her fear of life and let her emotions run loose are very touching.

I guess I'm thinking about him in "Camille." My God he was sooooo beautiful. But he is older in the 40's. Man, how did Stanwyck cope with the looks of Taylor.

Also, looking at Lancaster & Kate below I've never seen Kate look so ravishing... and ravished (and Burt's fingers through her hair is very sexy).

I haven't seen "Come Back, Little Shiba" but it sounds great. CineMaven, if you haven't checked out "The Rainmaker" do so next time it comes on. That scene is endearing in the way he comforts her when she cries about being "plain". I never get tired of watching it on dvd.

MissG, you've probably seen John Hodiak's wonderful eyes in "The Harvey Girls". I don't know how Judy Garland was able to keep her cool when he smiled in her direction.

I also feel that staginess can be appropriate. (it worked in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT, and Hepburn was magnificent there) There are other examples, of course, but I just had a giant lasagna dinner this evening and it's gone to my brain.

I liked Taylor as he aged; he grew into those rugged good looks. That oft-told notion of him being prettier than his leading ladies wasn't true in THE CONSPIRATORS!

Hot still of Kate and Burt. Was she even thinking of Spence right then and there??