Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bronxgirl48

BURT I LOVE YOU

My favorite Cronyn performance, along with Shadow of a Doubt, is his cowardly but dangerously clever professor who tries to destroy Cary Grant in People Will Talk.

No need to apologize, he's a great actor and I'm always happy to see him in films. I've never been able to see "The Postman Rings Twice" entirely so next time I'll look out for Mr. Cronyn.

01_1_b.JPG

pic3.jpg

bruteforce.jpg

BRUTE_FORCE-3.jpg

BRUTE_FORCE-5.jpg

"I like Cronyn in the early 70's movie Conrack, with Jon Voight. His character is a school superintendent who has had his own (unfortunately racist) way for so long that he can't budge to allow a new teacher to change the status quo. A smilingly malevolent character."

Wonderfully put. I remember "Conrack" but I've never seen it.

Cinemaven- Conrack is a great movie. I just love it. Voight is a teacher in the south, and finds that even the black population of the town don't want him changing anything. The kids in the movie are AMAZING. Just great.

I like Hume as the milquetoast murder-mystery loving neighbor in SHADOW OF A DOUBT and the wily lawyer in THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.

I just finished going through this thread (and downloading the pictures) and um, my. Is it hot in here?

What a gorgeous, gorgeous man!

I like most of his movies--love Elmer Gantry, The Professionals--my favorite is probably "The Rose Tattoo" just because he's so goofy in it. The only one I could never get into plot-wise, was The Swimmer. I get it, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. The only really good thing about that movie was that he spent the entire movie in swim trunks!

The hardcover version of the Burt biography, 'An American Life' has an outtake picture from "The Swimmer" on the back cover. It's from the scene where he, uh...goes sans clothing. I bought the paperback, but was very, very disappointed to see that picture was left off. I did manage to find it online. But I didn't look at it. I downloaded it, but I didn't look at it. I'm not that kind of girl. Cough.

Yes, we're both not that kind of girl, LOL. I hear Burt's very good in THE SWIMMER, with of course the frosting on the cake being his swim trunk clad fine self. Haven't seen THE PROFESSIONALS, or THE TRAIN for that matter. (or THE LEOPARD)

I'm going to start having nightmares of Hume Cronyn again, LOL. (Re: that photo)

By the way, I actually had a nightmare about Burt last night. I dreamt he was J.J. Hunsecker chasing me up the stairs. You all know how scary he is in that role.

I KNEW I shouldn't have eaten that sweet and sour shrimp and followed it up with a Snickers bar.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

OMG those pics of Burt and Ava are awseome!! The Killers Avas first or second movie no the first was with Clark Gable....Loooved Burt Lancaster..Absolutly,,bar none maybe the best actor..hands down..he was great! Couldnt even say which movie i loved him in the best..i think every performance is great..

Ava

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

I saw a clip of Burt on a talk show from the 1970s. I think it may have been the Merv Griffin Show or one of those of that era, anyway, he was asked about working with Ava Gardner in his first film "The Killers". He said, in rehearsals, he was not only in awe of her beauty, he was "visibly" turned on.

:) That's what he said. :)

"Lovely pix you've posted there. Lovely. I wonder if he fainted being so close to Ava... "

Hey, C-Mav, I neglected to include your quote in my last post. I hope it makes sense now.

Message was edited by: bOb39

Somehow those glasses made Burt all the more sinister as JJ.

I got the feeling that Hunsecker wasn't too interested in romance, however. Only POWER!

Hi Bronxie!

I saw another Burt film today---or rather, I saw the last forty minutes or so of Apache. I wish now I'd seen the whole thing because it was pretty good. Yes, even with anything but Apache-looking-Lancaster and Jean Peters in the leading roles. ;) Yikes, he was gorgeous and he gets to go around shirtless for quite a bit so I think playing an Apache brave is something he should have done more of. :P

It was on Encore Westerns so I guess there is a good chance it will be on another 80 times before the month is out.

apache.jpg

Hi Metsie!

Yes!! I was very surprised by the ending! I expected 'bad news', you know---I'm so glad they didn't end it that way. I wonder what happened afterward....

Yikes!!!! That picture with Clark almost gave me heart failure! I never know where to look in Run Silent, Run Deep..... :P

It's so frustrating! I've only played that tape once since buying it. "Run Silent, Run Deep" on the other hand was enjoyable and a bonus for fans of both actors.

Yes, I'm normally not a fan of war movies but I will watch Run Silent, Run Deep for the stars. I can't think of many things pleasanter than to be 20,000 leagues under the sea in a tin can with Burt and Clark. ;)

I saw all of APACHE this evening! Burt makes an escape early on, and wanders into the totally inexplicable and mysterious white man's town, where all manner of people and things puzzle him. His cocked head and quizzical manner are rather endearing. He and hot, pouty Jean Peters generate barely concealed lust in the dust. You'll never see Burt's eyes bluer than when he's talking to Cherokee Morris Ankrum. (another real Indian, lol) Lancaster and Peters talk to each other in that "noble savage" way, without contractions, although I did notice that Jean came out with an "I'm" instead of an "I am" in one scene. Nice color cinematography, beautiful outdoor locations. Aldrich gets in his kinkiness I guess by having Jean Peters all tied up near a riverbed.

Pretty simplistic overall I thought.

Yes, it's playing again all this month -- check the schedule.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I did notice that Jean came out with an "I'm" instead of an "I am" in one scene

I noticed that too! Don't they know that Apache's don't use contractions? Lol

I didn't know it was directed by Aldrich. I want to see the whole thing.

And it's got John McIntire!!

He is rapidly becoming a favorite with me. (and for some reason I find him attractive with his lean and craggy self)