Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Coffee Collection

OllieTSB

I hope to supply a list of film-titles where coffee-drinking, diners and MAYBE coffeehouses have some moments in the film.

For example, in MALTESE FALCON, Mary Astor is sent to the kitchen to "make some coffee" and Sydney Greenstreet warns Bogart that he'd better be careful of her - "If you don't give her enough money..."

THE KILLERS has the diner setting the stage for final climax. ASPHALT JUNGLE has Jame Whitmore's diner and coffee-drinking clientele giving and getting info.

Coffee's used in many many films but it might be interesting to list names of films that have significant uses of coffee scenes in them.

The reward? Well, there's a coffeeshop that's playing these films on its large walls now, so standing in line, waiting, can be as much fun as the java itself.

Boy, FrankG's hit the first pitch out of the ballpark. And it could be the first 10-run homer, at that!

He's posted some screen-captures in the GENRE-FILM NOIR thread about Country Noir, showing the 'significant' coffee scene in THE BIG HEAT (1953) with Glenn Ford and Lee Marvin with Gloria Grahame laying the foundation for McDonalds Lawsuits to come. Wow, Frank... one pitch, and it's a game-winner.

As the TCM announcer might say, BIG HEAT's at the top of their playlist today...

I'd add "Taxi Driver" (1976) The restaurant where the cabbies gather to eat was a real-life hangout for taxi drivers called the Belmore Cafeteria. There are a few scenes with Travis (De Niro) and Wizard (Peter Boyle) in and outside the Coffee shop. In the coffee and pie scene with Cybill Shepherd , Travis orders apple pie with melted cheese.

vallo

Hey, Ollie! -- I'm glad you started to the "coffee" thread. I will put some real thought towards your thread coming up when I get a little more time. Whenever I think of coffee now, I actually think of Special Agent Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) in Twin Peaks. I also love the usage of coffee in Airplane!

From the Internets:

littlboy: Excuse me, I happened to be passing and I thought you

might like some coffee.

littgirl: Oh, that's very nice of you. Thank you. Oh, won't you

sit down?

Littlboy: Oh thank you. Cream?

Littgirl: No thank you, I take it black . . . . . . like my men.

Attendnt: Would you like some coffee before we serve dinner?

Striker : No, no thank you.

Attendnt: Would either of you like another cup of coffee?

Mother2 : I will, but Jim won't.

Father : I think I will have another cup of coffee.

Mother2 : ( To herself in an echo voice ) Jim never has a

second cup at home.

It's not a "classic," but I just had to amuse myself for a second. I will post only "classics" on your thread.

Hiya, Miss Goddess -- Excellent suggestion! Coffee plays a key role in The Far Country. Heartbreaking.

Frank, I'm not going to restrict myself to classic or 'serious' films. I've turned in a list of 10 titles to the coffeeshop and they'll get whatever they can (out of their own collections, or gifts from their customers like me).

They were laughing about getting a few hundred together and having a Cinema Paradiso party for the coffee scenes.

I can't wait until Maxwell House hears about it.

Coffee plays an enormous role in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLN. The family is always drinking it, and Francie makes a good cup for Dorothy McGuire in the scene where Katie is lying in bed and waiting to deliver her child.

At one point, Johnny Nolan wonders how the world got along before "they invented coffee".

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

In the film "River Of No Return" Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum share a cup of coffee several times through out the film!

I know it's TV but let's not forget to mention David Lynch?s "Twin Peaks" (TV & movie), where special agent Cooper glazes with enlightment whenever talking about or sipping some coffee. Besides, coffee is an optic and methaphysical symbol in many important scenes.

Also the BIG coffee movie of all time ..."O Lucky Man" from 1973. The main character is a coffee salesman!!

What's up, Buffalo Chuck! -- Frank, I'm not going to restrict myself to classic or 'serious' films. I've turned in a list of 10 titles to the coffeeshop and they'll get whatever they can (out of their own collections, or gifts from their customers like me).

Okay, I'll see what I can come up with.

They were laughing about getting a few hundred together and having a Cinema Paradiso party for the coffee scenes. I can't wait until Maxwell House hears about it.

I'm laughing, too!

Hey, Ollie! -- Boy, FrankG's hit the first pitch out of the ballpark. And it could be the first 10-run homer, at that!

Thanks! My Buccos often need 10-run homers.

Hi, Dobbsy! -- I really enjoyed that commercial. I could feel the ZAZ (Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker).

Notorious (Out of Print, so it's bad for the coffee shop)[/i]

notorious1.jpg

notorious2.jpg

notorious3.jpg

No "Coffee Collection" could be complete without Christmas in July

christmasinjuly1.jpg

christmasinjuly2-1.jpg

christmasinjuly3-1.jpg

christmasinjuly4-1.jpg

christmasinjuly5.jpg

christmasinjuly6.jpg

christmasinjuly7.jpg

christmasinjuly8.jpg

I brought the CHRISTMAS IN JULY DVD for them today after your great screen-clips reminded me. I've got to look thru one of those Jimmy Stewart films - either POT O' GOLD or JACKPOT (one's available on DVD and the other, I've only got the VHS version) - because I think there's a coffee relation in there.

The coffeeshop hasn't put any speakers to the display so everything's "silent" now, but sometimes they turn on subtitles, sometimes not. No one really cares - most folks seem to know the films. And like these great screen-captures, the biggest complaint is that customers can't afford to stay for the entire film.

Now the coffeeshop is thinking of partnering with a local DVD shop to sell 'em. Good idea, I think. I thought they could develop playlists similar to TCM's scheduling, and then see if the DVD shop would give them boxes of DVDs on that playlist. "Sure, take 'em back to your office - play 'em on your computer instead of work..."

I'm definitely blaming THAT on Chuck if someone remembers my association with that idea.

Hey, Ollie -- I brought the CHRISTMAS IN JULY DVD for them today after your great screen-clips reminded me.

Christmas in July is actually my second favorite Preston Sturges film, trailing only Unfaithfully Yours. It's short and sweet film.

I've got to look thru one of those Jimmy Stewart films - either POT O' GOLD or JACKPOT (one's available on DVD and the other, I've only got the VHS version) - because I think there's a coffee relation in there.

I haven't seen either of those Jimmy flicks yet, so I can't help you there.

The coffeeshop hasn't put any speakers to the display so everything's "silent" now, but sometimes they turn on subtitles, sometimes not. No one really cares - most folks seem to know the films. And like these great screen-captures, the biggest complaint is that customers can't afford to stay for the entire film.

I know I'd be stunned to walk into a coffee shop and see classic films being projected on the wall, especially the visually stunning ones like The Night of the Hunter. My brother and I sometimes watch films outside on the big screen during the summer. We watched Only Angels Have Wings this past summer. It's very relaxing.

Now the coffeeshop is thinking of partnering with a local DVD shop to sell 'em. Good idea, I think.

I like that idea. I believe it could work.

I'm definitely blaming THAT on Chuck if someone remembers my association with that idea.

That's the sign of a true friend.

Golly, I'm sure I'll think up a couple more titles for your "Coffee Collection," Ollie.

MissG, a great big well-painted white wall works wonderfully, and the coffeeshop used its high-tech neighbors to supply them with wonderful LCD projectors. They have been off-setting them to present slightly skewed displays, too - they change the effect every few hours. It's like having movie posters all over the place, except instead of 1 scene or 8 posters, they have a moving tribute to that exact film. In fact, a VERY exact moving tribute! ha ha...

Fortunately, like most good coffeehouses, there is always that horrid contingent of staff that are tea-lovers, foisting their versions of the World's Best Beverage onto us. "Tired of your same old buzz? Try tea!" Thai teas, chi's, blacks, greys - all kinds. It's a coffee lover's nightmare!

Then there's that nasty third party contingent to battle with - the hot chocolate lovers. They're not only ruthless, but when they settle into test-tastes, THEIR beverage always wins "first sip" contests. Is there ANYTHING worse than thinking of coffee and ending up with a hot choco that's the best ever?!! Oh God Of Caffeine, where is thy sting?!!

lol! You sound like my Mum---she once had four different coffee makers and three different kinds of grinders (her favorite was the old timey manual one), she's that obsessed with coffee---and this was before it became "trendy". She taught me what the best should taste like, and it's definitely NOT Starbusts. ;)

Unfortunately, you can count me in the hot chocky contingent.

Oddly enough, when I dine out I only have coffee, not tea. Tea is for home and at work.

I'm rather glad coffee, tea and hot choco don't turn me into a drunkard - I'd be hopeless. I love 'em all. Go out for a Mexican breakfast at 6 a.m. with all the hot sauces and peppers, and drink half-gallons of iced tea to start the day - sniffly nose, sweaty temples and "More tea?"

Thanks for all these titles, by the way. Keep 'em coming.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings