Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NIGHTFALL (1957)

Guest dredagain

I wish I had known about this movie earlier. Last August in the Programming Challenge, I had a theme day on movies where characters have interesting causes of death -- and this would have fit in well. Not to give anything more away, though. :-)

The snowy Wyoming scenery beautifully photographed by Burnett Guffey...Aldo Ray as never seen before ...quite romantic and blonde...a young Bancroft her voice smokey and sexy...James Gregory as a sympathetic insurance investigator...Brian Keith and Rudy Bond ....perfect villians.This little film noir was a big surprise. The biggest surprise was the on screen chemistry between Bancroft and Ray.They were perfect! On second thought, the entire film was perfect! Guess you can tell...I liked it a lot!

I'd never consider myself an Aldo Ray fan but performances and movies like this were impressive. It underscores the "forgettable" rating I gave him for his Bogart WE'RE NO ANGELS role. Brian Keith did well as the 'thinking man's bank robber' - well, compared to other one!

I was really looking forward to this film, since I'd never seen it and I'm a big film noir fan. I thought it was pretty good, not great. The atmosphere was not "classic" noir (instead of a lot of shadows, scenes at night, some tight jazz score, we have a rather lush romantic song sung over the opening credits by Al Hibbler; a lot of outdoor daytime scenes, camping, snowbanks, and most strangely, an outdoor fashion show!) On the other hand, the story was typically noir (with all its implausibilites), and the perfomances were good; Aldo Ray (never an acting giant, was quite believable), and Anne Bancroft, Brian Keith, James Gregory, and Rudy Bond all gave very good support. One more cast note: that's Jocelyn Brando, Marlon Brando's older sister, playing James Gregory's wife. Ms. Brando had a lengthy career, mostly in stage and numerous TV appearances, but obviously compared to her brother, flew "under the Hollywood radar" for decades. Anyway, thanks to the posters who brought this film to the attention of film noir fans; while not a classic, it was definitely worthwhile seeing.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that [*Nightfall*|http://justacineast.blogspot.com/2008/03/aldo-ray-redux.html] is airing again at 8:30 AM on March 8.

This is your chance to enjoy this movie about Aldo Ray being chased by bank robbers looking for their $350,000, which is of course

Photobucket

buried under the big "W".

(Er, not that big "W"; it's buried in Wyoming. :-) )

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings