Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steven Spielberg is a THIEF!

Metropolisforever

According to Czech filmmaker Juraj Herz, the scene from Schindler's List in which a group of women confuse a gas chamber with an actual shower is taken directly, frame by frame, from his film Zastihla mě noc (1986). Herz says he wanted to sue, but was unable to come up with the money to fund the effort.

In a recent interview, Juraj Herz said this:

>This scene you know from [steven] Spielberg. But ten years before him, I shot this scene with women in the film Zastihla mě noc. Spielberg copied the scene shot by shot from me. Also, the scene in Spielberg's film doesn't make any sense. I had two main characters in the showers, but in Schindler's List [1993] this is just an unrelated episode. I read the novel Schindler's List, and there is no such a scene. I asked for the script and there is also no scene like that there. I met an American lawyer and I sent him my scene and Spielberg's scene on videotape. He responded to me with a question: Why did I send him one scene from Schindler's List twice? When I explained to him the situation he told me that I will win the lawsuit for sure, but I would have to put into it a hundred or two hundred dollars. I would get the money back, but I would have to have it in the beginning. So I had to leave it. Spielberg is well-known for this kind of stealing. He had lawsuits with almost every film, and I just didn't know about it.

Juraj Herz is an actual Holocaust survivor.

Steven Spielberg is a thief.

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

Has anyone ever seen Zastihla mě noc (1986)? Was it ever shown outside of the Czech Republic? Or are we just supposed to take the filmmaker's word for it?

Secondly, if the scene is "lifted" from someone's else's film, then I would guess it is Steven Zallian that woulld have some explaining to do. It was his screenplay. (And if it is in the movie, it is in the script - regardless of what Mr. Herz says.)

Copyright matters such as these are nearly impossible to prove. But it happens on occasion - though I still don't understand how the song "My Seet Lord" is an infringement of "He's So Fine".

Kyle In Hollywood

The scene in STAR WARS in which Luke and the 'droids drive up to his uncle and aunt's moisture farm is taken directly from John Ford's THE SEARCHERS.

The much of the X-wing/TIE fighter dogfight above the Death Star was copied from World War II films, especially THE DAM BUSTERS (along with the whole concept of the torpedo run in the Death Star's equitorial trench).

The final medal-bestowing scene was stolen from Leni Riefenstahl's TRIUMPH DES WILLENS (TRIUMPH OF THE WILL).

Individual scenes can't be copyrighted any more than titles or basic concepts can. The lawyer with whom Mr Herz spoke obviously just wanted his up-front money, because Herz had no case.

> But it happens on occasion - though I still don't understand how the song "My Seet Lord" is an infringement of "He's So Fine".

I guess it is because the jury says so. It doesn't matter if it is unconscious or accidental. The fact that "He's So Fine" was famous and certain that Harrison would have heard it was enough. Im sure they had sheet music for both. I think you need several measures of music and some of the melody line was too close.

I know you know all this but I just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Frankly, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. There are only so many chords and melodies to go around.

Regarding the original post----The women thinking the showers were something else is exactly what happened. It does not matter if it is in a 100 movies, when things are based on the truth, it doesn't matter how many people make a movie about it, it doesn't change it from being true. Obviously this film maker that said Steven ripped off his film is just jealous cuz his film is not known and was no where near as successful as Shindler's List, which was based on a true story (hello!).

I doubt that Spielberg even saw his film.

• 2 weeks later...

Juraj Herz is a well-known filmmaker, director, writer and actor. His film Passage was screened at the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival. His film The Cremator was nominated for an Oscar.

EDIT: Apparently, The Cremator was not nominated for an Oscar. It was only submitted for Oscar consideration.

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

I'm pretty sure if George hadn't done the change "I really wanna see you", he probably wouldn't have gotten sued; almost certainly wouldn't have lost. I hate to say it, but I understand exactly what they mean by "motif's", etc. Two exact parts put together with a like change.

I'm sure all was completely incidental, Anyone who doubts it needs to listen to "All Things Must Pass" in it's entirety. George was quite a songwriter. Thats a "desert island" disc for me.

But thanks for that link. I'd never heard that one (never listened to "33 1/3" in it's entirety).

It's a desert island disc for me too. What you say about the change or transition makes sense. I'm sure George didn't do it on purpose, but I guess it really doesn't matter if you didn't mean to do it, anyway. I still love My Sweet Lord and pretty much every other song he ever did....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings