Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WINGS (1927) takes flight February 4th!

MissGoddess

This silent classic by director William Wellman, and first "Best Picture" Oscar-winner will finally be shown on TCM Monday night, Feb. 4 at 8:00 (EST) Yay!!! Don't miss it (or the stunning appearance by a future super star :P ).

Wings.jpg

Oh, and as a sweet afterthought, following Wings will be another landmark silent, FW Murnau's SUNRISE.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

I'm also looking forward to the airing of Wings. I have never seen the film.

Don't miss it (or the stunning appearance by a future super star :P ).

Edith Head makes an on-screen appearance? Wow!

Oh, and as a sweet afterthought, following Wings will be another landmark silent, FW Murnau's SUNRISE.

Sweet "afterthought"? Uh-huh. The words "sour afterthought" seem to be in my mind right now. I wonder why.

sunrise1.jpg

sunrise2.jpg

sunrise3.jpg

sunrise4.jpg

I watched "Wings" years ago. It was the first time that I had seen Clara Bow, and I remember that my reaction was "NOW I know why she was considered such a beauty ! " I considered the acting (by almost the entire cast) a bit dated and overblown . Although Gary Cooper certainly did have a short, but positive "screen presence" as I recall. I will watch it again, that is if I can wrest control of the remote from my wife (who hates silents).

Kyle - Thanks for sharing the Wings poster. I've really come to enjoy your poster of the day posts, and have even developed a serious case of poster-envy.

I have a couple of questions re: Wings

1) Is this TCM airing in conjunction with a DVD release by any chance?

2) Does anyone know what score will be used for the film? I used to have the commercial release VHS and really liked the theater organ score that was included on that. Somewhere along the line I lost the tape and really miss it. I'm hoping the Feb broadcast will include the organ score I love and fear I might be quite disappointed if it doesn't. I'm hoping to find out in advance to "prepare myself for the worst" if necessary.

Hi Gregory1965 -

Glad you like the poster.

I don't know the answers to your questions. We may be able to learn more when the accompanying articles for the "31 Days..." event are available online. They will probably be up this week.

But maybe someone else knows about the DVD.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thank you, Kyle! I will definitely visit your thread---you always have the best posters.

Gregory---I wish I had an answer for you, especially regarding the dvd release. But I do think as far as that is concerned, it's a matter of when, not "if".

Here's the movie poster I have in my livingroom from *Wings*. I didn't know much about Clara Bow when I found the poster (I had seen the movie before I bought the poster though) but I remember thinking how you just couldn't take your eyes off her. She just draws you in.

258691.1010.A.jpg

Here's a link to the video of Gary's part in *Wings* if anyone wants a sneak peek.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nR1qw9Yr_6I

coopsgirl,

Well, as I have previously mentioned on this forum several times before, I am hoping to high heaven for a fresh digital transfer of the brand new 2003 restoration of this fabulous movie! I am likewise praying for the score that Carl Davis composed for this film nearly 20 years ago!

The Gaylord Carter score is one of his best, but I have yet to hear the Davis compositions at all. The Thames presentation aired on British Television only once as far as I have been able to determine, and may have never been seen in the United States before?

Wings has been shown on Television it aired a few times on the old American Movie Classics between 1990, and 1991, with the Gaylord Carter Wurlitzer score. But the Thames presentation as far as I know, has not been run? It could have aired on PBS back in the early 90's, but I never saw it personally?

The restored version shown at the ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES in 2003, reinstated the original tint's, and contained a full Orchestra score with sound effects. The Original film in 1927 also had a few sequences that were filmed in 2-Strip Technicolor. I do not know if those still exist?

Gregory1965,

If you still crave the Gaylord Carter scored version, I have a beautiful copy of that on Laser-disc with a whopping 19 page menu that I designed! You won't find a better program of that version any place else!

I have been meaning to mention this for a couple weeks now. Though WINGS and SUNRISE are both very good Silent films, the latter has aired on TCM a number of times in the past. While WINGS is debuting for the very first time. So I ask, what about Frank Borzage's Masterpiece 7th HEAVEN (1927), with Janet Gaynor, and Charles Farrell?

This film won 3 Academy Awards! The movie was newly restored in 2001, the picture has been ready to be released on DVD by Fox for the past 3 years. A commentary track was even recorded. While I have nothing against F. W. Murnau's SUNRISE, I would have much rather seen TCM debut both WINGS, and SEVENTH HEAVEN, back to back.

SUNRISE could have still been shown on another night. Along with Lewis Milestone's TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS (1927), another of my favorites, and an Oscar Winner. A film that in fairness did run during last years 31 Day's of Oscar.

Will certainly take what we can get, but 7th HEAVEN has been sitting on the shelf for far to long. I really wish TCM would obtain the rights! In all honesty, between the 3 movies, SEVENTH HEAVEN is my favorite, and once you have seen the film you will never forget the experience!

Hi gagman---I saw *7th Heaven* on a public television station years ago, perhaps even before the restoration because I don't recall the picture being too clear. But it's impression never left me, along with *Street Angel* which they showed as part of a spotlight on Borzage.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings