Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

El Cid Deluxe Edition DVD

CelluloidKid

The 1961 epic film El Cid is coming to DVD for the first time in almost a decade, with a brand new deluxe edition DVD on January 29.

Go to this link: http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/67/25967.php to watch an exclusive clip!

MOVIEWEB:

When French playwright Pierre Corneille wrote El Cid, a fanciful version of the life of 11th-century Spanish hero Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar, aka "El Cid", an attempt was made to honor the "classic unities" and to compress the whole story into a single day! Be assured that the 1961 film version of El Cid is more faithful to the actual chronology. Charlton Heston adds one more character to his gallery of historical portrayals as El Cid, the disgraced Spanish knight who rids his country of its Moorish conquerors. The triumphs of El Cid's military life are not matched by his private affairs; he is betrayed by his bride Chimene (Sophia Loren) and is made a political pawn by the avaricious Spanish landowners. El Cid has a climax unique in the annals of movie epics: the final assault against the landgrabbers is led by a dead hero. El Cid established the short but generally profitable reign of producer Samuel Bronston as the King of the Epics; his imprint on the film is much stronger than that of director Anthony Mann.

Special Features

- Cast Interviews

- 1961 Radio Interviews with Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren

- Feature-length commentary from Bill Bronston, son of producer Sam Bronston, and historian-author Neal M. Rosendorf, assistant professor of U.S. international history at Long Island University

- Documentary on the importance of film preservation and restoration

- Featurettes on Bronston, director Anthony Mann and composer Miklos Rozsa

- "Making of" documentary, "Hollywood Conquers Spain"

I have always enjoyed watching "El Cid" since I first saw it when I was younger with my family. Due to this movie, my dad suggested that I be named after Sophia Loren's character when I was born. I believe my dad saw this film when it first came out while he lived in Colorado from I think 1960 -1965 and one of the cast members was there to meet with the film goers. I don't know if my dad met the cast member though.

Anyways, I am so happy that this film is being released next week. We have two versions of the film on VHS in my home and it will be great to add this to the collection of DVDs that my family has. Once the reviews come in for the movie, I may pick this up for my dad as a gift for Valentine's Day or for Father's Day or for myself.

~Donna :)

"And people don't commit murder on credit."

~Tony Wendice (Ray Milland) ~ Dial M for Murder (1954)

"You're crazy."

"Insane for my own good."

~Milly Stephenson (Myrna Loy) and Al Stephenson (Fredric March) ~ The Best Years of Out Lives (1946)

"I have one superstition. I like to go back the way I came."

~Dr. John Holden (Dana Andrews) ~ Curse of the Demon (1958)

"If you're not gonna electrocute me on the spot, I think I'll run along."

~Joel Sloane (Robert Montgomery) ~ Fast and Loose (1939)

"The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the padder."

~Detective Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) ~ The Maltese Falcon (1941)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings